Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Jenny
    • By MSE Jenny 18th Jul 08, 4:45 PM
    • 1,228Posts
    • 3,559Thanks
    MSE Jenny
    0 WOW
    Great ‘cheap when you get there holiday destinations’ hunt
    • 18th Jul 08, 4:45 PM
    0 WOW
    Great ‘cheap when you get there holiday destinations’ hunt 18th Jul 08 at 4:45 PM
    With the euro surging ahead in the foreign exchange markets, destinations like Spain and Greece are the not the cheap holiday options they used to be. Hotels, restaurants, car hire: all are pricier. Thus it can be possible to get more value from your holiday fund by going to places like the U.S.A, Egypt or even Thailand.

We want to tap MoneySavers for their tips on the cheapest places to go this summer. Which countries are cheapest for what stuff? Can lower prices outweigh the cost of a long-haul flight?

Please click reply to add your ideas.

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Deborah; 22-07-2008 at 4:29 PM.
Page 1
  • Kez100
    • 18th Jul 08, 5:15 PM
    • 18th Jul 08, 5:15 PM
    Well, I am hoping ours will be cheap. We are cruising. Bagged a late 4 berth cabin deal for two weeks in the school holiday for £1850 (total for 4 of us). Going from a UK posrt means no investment in flights which saves a fortune.

Now, all our food and entertainment is included and we will be dropped at different ports for free (no car hire) which we are researching on the net and will do on foot. I am estimating £120 for museum and park entrances and £130 for tips.

We have a cheap ship for drink - wines from £10 and free tea and coffee.

The formal clothes will cost a bit but I have bagged some from the Next sale. Other clothes I have purchased but would have to anyway as my wardrobe is threadbare.

The other 'cheap' destination was a villa holiday we did. Where the villa was centrally located and beautiful - shoulder season it wasn't expensive either. It offers the ability to self cater and most entertainment was on site in the form of relaxation and the private pool.
    Last edited by Kez100; 18-07-2008 at 5:21 PM.
  • BenL
    • 18th Jul 08, 5:25 PM
    • 18th Jul 08, 5:25 PM
    Last summer a group of us (met originally through this forum) had a holiday in Hungary - Lake Balaton.

This was very cheap to start with and even cheaper as we had 6 people.

Ryanair from Stansted to Balaton was cheap Ł70

House found on www.houses.hu - bargain

Beer and food cheap, there was a Pizza restaurant near our house that had massive really nice pizzas for Ł3. Nice big meals of good quality in restaurants by the lake were cheap as well.

Hire car cheap

Plenty to do with things to see, spas, the lake is massive so its like being at the coast with beaches and boat cruises.

Wine tours, caves, castles.

They also have Tesco etc for stocking up.

1 week all in for flight, car, 3 bedroom house, fuel, food, drink, fuel from Liverpool to Stansted, airport car park, day trip to Budapest on the train all for Ł300.

If you can call it a downside, not many British people around. The Hungarians use the resort a lot and a few times the only other language the menu in a restaurant was in was German.
    Last edited by MSE Archna; 29-07-2008 at 4:10 PM.
    I beep for Robins - Beep Beep
    & Choo Choo for trains!!
  • dmg24
    • 18th Jul 08, 6:43 PM
    • 18th Jul 08, 6:43 PM
    Marrakech! x
  • Lemmy Caution
    • 18th Jul 08, 8:32 PM
    • 18th Jul 08, 8:32 PM
    O.K. Cuba. The Convertible Peso has a conversion rate equivalent to the $U.S. with £1 equal to around $1.99. Then you have the local Peso, which you can use in some bars, shops, restaurants, take-aways, (Copelia Ice cream parlour) and the local buses. You can get 24 Pesos to the Convertible. You will end up using the Convertible more often, but it is handy to have a small amount of local Pesos for things like street food, coffee etc.
    Let us be grateful to people who make us happy, they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom. - Proust
  • thethinduck
    • 18th Jul 08, 8:40 PM
    • 18th Jul 08, 8:40 PM
    For somewhere closer to home, we fly to Porto, drive an hour south to figueira da foz (car hire is comparatively cheap, or the trains are very cheap, can be around £7 per person for a first class ticket) - once you get there, food and drink are still very cheap, in a way that a lot of france / spain isn't anymore. Food in the markets is very cheap, and then meals out can be 20 euro for a family of 4 for 3 courses each, wine, coffees, etc, not too bad for a short haul cheap flight!
    • Tozer
    • By Tozer 18th Jul 08, 10:55 PM
    • 3,355 Posts
    • 2,104 Thanks
    Tozer
    • 18th Jul 08, 10:55 PM
    • 18th Jul 08, 10:55 PM
    Thailand is a fantastic place...apart from the places infested by Western perverts.

For some more culture, look to Malaysia. Ł500 return to KL and a fantastic holiday destination. Top class hotels from Ł60 per night and a very enjoyable times.
    • Blue264
    • By Blue264 19th Jul 08, 2:29 AM
    • 1,547 Posts
    • 923 Thanks
    Blue264
    • 19th Jul 08, 2:29 AM
    • 19th Jul 08, 2:29 AM
    Hmmm... I'm not entirely sure what the state of play is now, but the only country where I felt rich because of the fantastic exchange rate was Fiji.
    I took all my currency in Sterling travellers cheques and exchanged them at Nadi airport bank on arrival.
    It was mainly Australians and New Zealanders where I was based and they were flinching at the price of drinks, etc, whilst I was wondering how they could afford to sell a bottle of wine in a restaurant for the equivalent of Ł2.50 a bottle.
    It's definately worth checking out and I'd also check out any destination that has a preference for USD. and buy your currency in the U.K.
    • Tozer
    • By Tozer 19th Jul 08, 6:22 PM
    • 3,355 Posts
    • 2,104 Thanks
    Tozer
    • 19th Jul 08, 6:22 PM
    • 19th Jul 08, 6:22 PM
    Hmmm... I'm not entirely sure what the state of play is now, but the only country where I felt rich because of the fantastic exchange rate was Fiji.
    I took all my currency in Sterling travellers cheques and exchanged them at Nadi airport bank on arrival.
    It was mainly Australians and New Zealanders where I was based and they were flinching at the price of drinks, etc, whilst I was wondering how they could afford to sell a bottle of wine in a restaurant for the equivalent of Ł2.50 a bottle.
    It's definately worth checking out and I'd also check out any destination that has a preference for USD. and buy your currency in the U.K.
    Originally posted by Blue264
    Fiji is a great place but oh so far.

Been twice - 1996 and 2002. Was slightly disappointed by how commercial it had all become but still absolutely amazing.

Was in the Cook Islands in November. Cracking place. Just hope it doesn't get too busy.
  • eoin
    threads
    Just back from Miami and found that if you have teenagers Abercromie and Fitch, Holister and American Eagle have bargain rails with things like hoodies from Ł6.50 which would be 10 times this in London. These rails are at the back of the stores and are really worth going to. All clothes are really cheap in the USA at the moment as the sales are major and if you get a sale in the Outlet Malls the prices are sometimes just silly for stuff we would pay a fortune for here.
    Otherwise Miami is not too cheap, probably a bit less than here but if you want to club ask the hotel reception if they have any passes as this can reduce the cost by a huge amount. Also lots of happy hours with cheap booze, if you like that kind of thing, and please drink responsably!
  • Bargainfinder
    Can lower prices outweigh the cost of a long-haul flight?

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Originally posted by MSE Jenny

I certainly think so.
    Last Christmas we bagged ultra cheap flights to Norway, Ł120 return for 2 of us - Bargain. However we ended up spending over Ł1000 by the end of the week, with a tiny bedsit in a basement costing us Ł400 to rent for the week, food shopping ludicrously expensive; excursions costing Ł200 each and eating out just in the ranks of 'unaffordable' - we paid Ł17 for a McDonalds for the 2 of us?!?!

This year we decided to go to Egypt for 2 weeks. Ł1500 for the 2 of us, All inclusive (drinks included!) for a weeks cruise, B&B for 2 nights in Cairo and Half board for 5 nights in a hotel in Luxor. Once we get there we will have to pay Ł130 for all excursions from the cruise, but don't have to spend anything else except on drinks in the second week and things to bring home.

We have been told that it's ultra cheap in Egpyt, and think we will end up spending less than Ł2000 in total including spending money, for the 2 of us for 2 weeks... I think that's pretty good for somewhere I would have previously thought unaffordable!

We use www.ownersdirect.co.uk frequently, it's a fantastic site for finding accomodation in this country and abroad. We used it when we went to Spain last year, and because we looked for somewhere with a private pool, we didn't go to the beach that often at all, which meant we spent less on ice-creams.... yay!

Happy holidays everyone
    Personal challenge: Do without as much as possible to pay off Ł12k by 07/2009!!!
    Bluejeans Challenge: Spend less - Eat less! Need to lose 4 2.5 stone () then maintain until my concert in Dec!!
    Cady's jam jar challenge.. how much will be in the pot?!

Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.
  • daveval
    Cheap when you get there
    If you can restrict your gambling urges there is no cheaper place than Las Vegas.
    You need to do extensive research for cheap hotel deals but they are available. One good tip is to sign up on the Hotel website for special offers,also check Travel supermarket and Expedia.
    My wife and I are going in September for 2 weeks and our total accommodation is costing about Ł450 and 2 weeks car hire for just Ł188.
    Try to avoid Vegas on Friday's and Saturday's, the room prices go through the roof, we are going to Laughlin for the first weekend for $65 per night in deluxe room. Vegas has several outlet malls, loads of Walmarts and 3 Costcos so there is loads of choice, we buy most of our clothes from Vegas and most are far better quality than you get over here.
  • cjmumto2
    South Africas exchange rate is brilliant at the moment. 16 to 1 at last check. You can eat out every day and lots of things are free like the beaches, wondering around the waterfront in Cape Town, walks up the mountain, Groot Constantia and other vineyards etc.

You can book a guest house for week as opposed to hotel to save loads and if you go in August it is winter so prices are much cheaper and the weather in Cape Town is still better than a UK summer. Obvioulsy prices are more to fly but you can get last minute deals which are not too bad.

I have to add I am from Cape Town so a wee bit biased but we go back every year for a month and live like Kings with the exchange rate.
    • maximus0983
    • By maximus0983 23rd Jul 08, 9:35 AM
    • 294 Posts
    • 312 Thanks
    maximus0983
    As a travel wholesaler we are seeing a huge rise in eastern european destinations places like:

Talinn, Estonia
    Dubrovnik / Zagreb, Croatia
    Riga, Latvia
    Vilnius, Lithuania are all the top risers.

You always have the far east and even the USA but forget main land (western) europe. Its getting too expensive now.

If anyone wants advice let me know and I can point out some decent hotels for you.

**PLEASE NOTE I AM NOT ALLOWED TO SELL TO THE PUBLIC AS A WHOLESALER SO I CAN ONLY DIRECT YOU TO THE RIGHT DESTINATIONS BUT I CANNOT PROVIDE COSTING FOR ANY ACCOMODATION OR FLIGHTS**

THANKS
    Scrimping and saving!
  • Easter
    closer to home?
    Are we not supposed to be staying CLOSER to home now that the planet is melting? Just because EURO has done down a bit does not sound like a good excuse for me to start holidaying in Thailand or South Africa. The solution I've found? Have a short holiday in Europe (doing Barcelona for 5 nights) and combine with a short holiday in UK (Cornwall for 5 nights). Doing bit for my wallet AND environment. I for one do not think a trip to Bali or Marrakech is 'cheap' when you add in cost to the environment (and I jsut can't be bothered sitting on a plane that long unless I really have to).
    • tiff
    • By tiff 23rd Jul 08, 11:19 AM
    • 6,551 Posts
    • 8,597 Thanks
    tiff
    I think more and more families will stay in the UK with the way things are going. I know the amount of people camping has increased a lot with lots of people saying you used to be able to just turn up at a campsite, now you have to book and some have been fully booked for ages. Its not cheap to live here, but you dont have the travel costs that you would have if you flew somewhere and you can do it on the cheap by using vouchers etc.
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 23rd Jul 08, 11:41 AM
    • 4,185 Posts
    • 30,540 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    You are right Tiff with your comments about the rise in popularity in camping in the UK. My daughter tried to book a specific site "any time" in the school holidays and the site was booked solid for the entire school holiday period! Now she is desperately trying to find an alternative site with vacancies.
    • HenBroon
    • By HenBroon 23rd Jul 08, 11:53 AM
    • 51 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    HenBroon
    India
    While not as cheap as it used to be, India can be easy to get to (look at package fligts to Goa and Kerala) and is spectacularly good value for delicious food and pleasant accommodation.

A three hour train trip in Kerala in the comfortable air conditioned section of the train cost us about Ł3, and you can usually get a driver to take the whole family on a day trip for no more than about Ł25 - a good tip is to avoid the expensive excursions promoted by the package tour companies and organise the same thing yourselves - infinitely cheaper, very easy and much more fun.
  • Phil25
    Would just like to agree with the poster above that South Africa, although pretty expensive to get to (at least Ł600 for a direct flight) is very cheap once there.
    Due to the F/X rate of about 15 Rand to the Ł pretty much everything works out at about half the price you would pay in the UK - food, drink, accommodation, petrol, entertainment, attractions.
    We are fairly regular visitors (my wife being from Cape Town) and oddly the only things that seems to me MORE expensive there are cars!
  • DrGUID
    Once you've bought the plane tickets, South and East Asia are pretty cheap. I even found Tokyo cheap - hotel rooms can be had for less than Ł50 a night, trains are half the cost of the UK (and always on time) and eating out at noodle shops is very affordable. Hong Kong is cheap as well if you eat out where the locals do.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,184Posts Today

7,349Users online

Martin's Twitter