Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    crana9
    Remoska cookers (merged)
    • 14th Nov 04, 11:18 PM
    Remoska cookers (merged) 14th Nov 04 at 11:18 PM
    just wondering if anyone has used one of these (as sold by Lakeland!) and what they thought to it ..?

Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

This discussion on the pro's and cons of owning a Remoska is almost four years old but generally the comments are still relevant. If you've owned one why not add your thoughts to help others decide. For more information on what can be done with a Remoska plus the possible energy savings have a look at the official Remoska website.

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Andrea; 22-09-2008 at 3:04 PM.
Page 1
    • Angela
    • By Angela 15th Nov 04, 12:24 AM
    • 1,517 Posts
    • 5,378 Thanks
    Angela
    • 15th Nov 04, 12:24 AM
    Re: Remoska cookers
    • 15th Nov 04, 12:24 AM
    I bet 160 has one of these as there sold in Lakeland lol
  • Pat_
    • 15th Nov 04, 12:29 AM
    • 15th Nov 04, 12:29 AM
    Pardon my ignorance, what are they ???

Please tell
  • cardcrazyden
    • 15th Nov 04, 1:00 AM
    • 15th Nov 04, 1:00 AM
    I have one of these and I think its great.Especially if youve got fussy eaters.its ideal for cooking smaller items ie acouple of sausages, pies etc.Basically its like a small oven and hardly uses any electricity.I just wish Id got the larger one.

Unfortunatly for me the larger one came out after Id brought mine.

Have also used it in our caravan for doing thing like baked potatoes and chicken portions.would be good for campers who have electrical hookup.
    • By 16011996 15th Nov 04, 9:35 AM
    • 8,140 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    • 15th Nov 04, 9:35 AM
    • 15th Nov 04, 9:35 AM
    me?? have one of these?? i do actually, though haven't used it for ages, but off to get it out, it was fabulous i seem to remember, but can't remember why i stopped using it. let me have a think.

;D
    • jaybee
    • By jaybee 15th Nov 04, 6:42 PM
    • 1,415 Posts
    • 2,674 Thanks
    jaybee
    • 15th Nov 04, 6:42 PM
    • 15th Nov 04, 6:42 PM
    Oh no! I've wondered about getting one of these for ages but never felt I could really justift the cost as they are quite expensive. Trouble is, now I've gone and bought a slow cooker (thanks to al the scrummy recipes and ideas on here!). Soooo, if you all rave about the Remoska then maybe I'll have to find space for that as well!!! What a hard life!!! :-/

My first slow cooker meal is bubbling away as I write this - smells great! ;D
  • malcolmord
    • 15th Nov 04, 6:51 PM
    • 15th Nov 04, 6:51 PM
    Whats wrong with a microwave!!
  • crana9
    • 15th Nov 04, 8:10 PM
    • 15th Nov 04, 8:10 PM
    uh, nothing, but you can't really make some things in there now can you.

being as at the moment i have 2 plug-in electric hobs and a microwave (shared with 3 flatmates), i thought it might perhaps be a cunning way to extend what i can eat. although I don't really NEED it. it was just a thought anyhow.
  • Pat_
    • 16th Nov 04, 12:06 AM
    • 16th Nov 04, 12:06 AM
    When the micro wave first come out it was said that it was to compliment your main cooker

So I find all these other bits & pieces compliment one an other, especially those with large families and those with people coming home at different times, they all help. :-/

Each to their own I suppose :

But I think there great. ;D
  • crana9
    i dont even have a main cooker for my microwave to complement :'(
    • By 16011996 16th Nov 04, 9:33 AM
    • 8,140 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    i dont even have a main cooker for my microwave to complement !:'(
    awww :'( :-*
    • Caterina
    • By Caterina 16th Nov 04, 11:27 AM
    • 5,755 Posts
    • 39,783 Thanks
    Caterina
    Crana9, where do you cook your stuff then?

Caterina
    • By 16011996 16th Nov 04, 12:34 PM
    • 8,140 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    yes i was wondering that?

Caterina
  • crana9

Caterina
    i did say

we have one of those plug in electric hobs, with 2 rings, and a microwave. sorry, i was thinking of "proper cooker" as meaning a built in one with an oven and hobs, not the crappy thing we have

i dont even have a frying pan, we aren't allowed them for some reason so I didn't bring one!
    • Caterina
    • By Caterina 16th Nov 04, 3:38 PM
    • 5,755 Posts
    • 39,783 Thanks
    Caterina
    I know how it feels not to have a cooker - when I lived in Rome after leaving my family home I had a bedsitter measuring 2m x 1m, only just bigger than a coffin!

There were 7 of these little boxes, carved out of a 1 bedroom flat (landlady was making a MINT on us!) and we were as crammed as battery chickens.

To cook, we all had our own little camping gaz, the really teensy weensy one that people use for 1 night camping, not the bigger ones!

It was difficult, to say the least, but it was so good to have my freedom that I just loved it all the same!

Caterina
  • crana9
    i do manage to cook most things on it..

I guess what I really miss is having a freezer. We have a small fridge shared between us but no freezer compartment.. and since I cook just for me.. there's no way I can eat a pack of frozen peas etc before it goes off (unless it's truly tiny, which aren't sold by the only supermarket I can easily get to, one of those mini-Sainsburys..)... and I can't freeze meals for later on so i end up eating the same meal over and over again to eat it up

yes i know pity me
    • Caterina
    • By Caterina 16th Nov 04, 6:26 PM
    • 5,755 Posts
    • 39,783 Thanks
    Caterina
    Could you not cook all the peas in advance and keep them in small sealed boxes in your side of the fridge? They should keep for a week or so, especially if you use some salt when cooking.

Also, if you are in a fairly cold part of the country, where the temperature does not go higher than 5 degrees C in the day, you could leave some of your food in the shade in the back garden or balcony, well closed to prevent squirrels, rats and insects from getting it.

I tend to keep my soya milk and beer outside in winter, saves fridge space and is nice and cold when needed.

Caterina
  • crana9
    i could, but its still an awful lot of peas to eat in a week! i had another look today and they had some fairly small bags...but still....lots of peas for one person to eat (I do like peas, but there's a limit!)

I don't have any kind of outside windowledge etc.. my window opens straight onto the road with no outside ledge good idea though. (i also live on the ground floor, people walkimng past would steal my stuff!)

maybe i'll have a freezer next year eh

rosie

(having tonight - and probably tomorrow - and probably the day after that - vegetable stew. Again!)
  • crana9
    as for back garden/balcony.. i wish! ;D
    • jaybee
    • By jaybee 17th Nov 04, 8:57 PM
    • 1,415 Posts
    • 2,674 Thanks
    jaybee
    160 - pleeeeze get your Remoska out and give another try. I've got a week's holiday the week after next (so can visit Lakeland at Salisbury) and I'm desperate to know if I NEED to buy one or not!!!!! I've been looking for years at them but haven't been able to make up my mind / justify the cost.
    Following all the praise of solw cookers I've just bought one of them (and am v pleased with it) but I may need a Remolska as well - it's up to you to convince me!!!!
    My shopping list for Lakeland is growing daily!!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,494Posts Today

9,372Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just sent a text about postgrad loans. My Swype text auto-corrected it to pothead loans. Does it know something I don't?

• Are you an overdraft prisoner? How to escape it! My new blog on ways to get rid of your overdraft... https://t.co/KbJwbWLFQI

• RT @bbc5live: .@MartinSLewis joins @annaefoster from midday to answer your money saving questions. ???? 08085 909 693 ???? 85058 Or post your q?

• Follow Martin