Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • molokoid
    • By molokoid 29th Jun 08, 5:46 PM
    • 22Posts
    • 14Thanks
    molokoid
    Bulk LPG - Cheapest suppliers / supply route?
    • 29th Jun 08, 5:46 PM
    Bulk LPG - Cheapest suppliers / supply route? 29th Jun 08 at 5:46 PM
    Hi all,

Moved into a house in Jan that has a bulk LPG tank, which was previously supplied (and the tank is owned by) Calor. The contract they were really keen for me to sign was quite a restrictive lock in one and after speaking and a bit of negotiating they dropped the standing charge and discounted the pence per litre by 12%. This only made me sceptical that they had a lot of fat in the price anyway and there seems to be limited information available on the net about bulk lpg supply (lots of websites that will find you the cheapest supply for a fee!). Seems to be crying out for a MSE article if there are enough bulk lpg owners out there.

Anyway, i read that there is some sort of regulation coming into the market which allows me to choose the supplier i wish and in turn they buy the tank off the previous owners. This seems to be a more market competitive way of doing it, but i can't find out when this is due to happen.

Are there any bulk lpg owners out there that can give me some advice?

TIA
Page 155
    • The Hornet
    • By The Hornet 14th Mar 18, 11:09 AM
    • 76 Posts
    • 66 Thanks
    The Hornet
    Just received an email from my supplier (Countrywide) regarding the latest situation.

From 1st March the LPG business is no longer part of Countrywide Farmers plc. We are now an independent, standalone company called Countrywide LPG Ltd.

This is good news for you as it means that we can continue to meet your LPG needs and provide great levels of customer service.

You might have heard that Countrywide Farmers plc has entered administration - don't worry as we have left the Countrywide Farmers group and now operate on our own, part of the DCC Group, so our supplies to you will not be affected.

We are pleased to be able to confirm that we are doing business as usual, supplying our customers and paying our suppliers on time.

Countrywide LPG Ltd values its customers and looks forward to continuing to supply you with LPG for many years to come.

Yours sincerely,

George Webb
    Managing Director
    Countrywide LPG Ltd
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 14th Mar 18, 11:40 AM
    • 17,377 Posts
    • 15,714 Thanks
    AdrianC
    We are now an independent, standalone company
    now operate on our own, part of the DCC Group
    by Countrywide
    <scratches head>
    Contraction, or what?
    • LittleVermin
    • By LittleVermin 16th Mar 18, 9:12 PM
    • 683 Posts
    • 676 Thanks
    LittleVermin
    OMBUDSMAN? Ombudsman for LPG? YES, there is one!
    Many complaints on this forum over the years about LPG suppliers and that Ofgem covers electricity and gas but NOT LPG.

But earlier today UKLPG's Chief Executive Rob Shuttleworth said on Radio 4* that ALL UKLPG members are signed up to an ombudsman provided by Utilities ADR.

First you must complain to your supplier - maybe about deliveries (non-deliveries!) or prices or problems with your tank that they are happy to fill but you cannot switch as it's non-compliant or ... or... or .... and give them up to 8 weeks to reply. Then you can complain to the ombudsman - please let forum users know how you get on. And remember that the CMA (Competition & Markets Authority) keeps a watch on LPG (though it has been likened to a chocolate teapot - is the LPG ombudsman more useful?). ADR = Alternative Disputes Resolution.

Ombudsman website: Utilities ADR

Not all suppliers are members of UKLPG (e.g. not farming co-ops) but here's a list of UKLPG members.

Good luck!

....by the way, the UKLPG industry has kept rather quiet about the ombudsman, haven't they?

* here, 17.56 minutes in
    Last edited by LittleVermin; 17-03-2018 at 12:46 AM. Reason: added link to 'You and yours'
    • Richmc
    • By Richmc 20th Mar 18, 2:45 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    Richmc
    How on earth can a supply company charge a standing charge?!!! That like filling your car for 50 then being told you are going to be charged 5p a mile that you drive extra.

Ditch LPG, go oil! you buy and own the tank it costs next to nothing to maintain any you won't get a stupid standing charge.
    • mcmullank
    • By mcmullank 20th Mar 18, 2:50 PM
    • 100 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    mcmullank
    How on earth can a supply company charge a standing charge?!!! That like filling your car for 50 then being told you are going to be charged 5p a mile that you drive extra.

Ditch LPG, go oil! you buy and own the tank it costs next to nothing to maintain any you won't get a stupid standing charge.
    Originally posted by Richmc

Do you not pay a standing charge for electricity?

How many years payback is there on buying the oil tank, installing it and changing your boiler? All to save the 70 p.a.!!!!
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 20th Mar 18, 2:59 PM
    • 17,377 Posts
    • 15,714 Thanks
    AdrianC
    There is no comparison between an LPG tank and an oil tank.

Rent for the tank - and all legal responsibility for the pressure testing etc - takes two years to get to the purchase cost of a new tank from my local builder's merchant, without considering fitting.

Then there's the theft risk, and the fact I'd still want LPG - in proportionately much costier and less convenient form - for cooking, because I simply don't like electric hobs.
    • collectors
    • By collectors 20th Mar 18, 3:32 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    collectors

Calor will fit a free 2400lt gas tank at this moment in time, that is worth easily 1000.00. You would be luck to get an oil tank fitted & piped to the house for under 1500.00.
    My LPG boiler cost 705.00, an oil equivalent would be at least 1400.00. So, i am now 4 years on after fitting my system & still way in front of any costs between oil & LPG.
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 20th Mar 18, 5:47 PM
    • 563 Posts
    • 338 Thanks
    Mister G

My supplier does not make a standing charge and the LPG is only 30ppl.
    • ceh209
    • By ceh209 21st Mar 18, 1:36 PM
    • 756 Posts
    • 495 Thanks
    ceh209
    So I've just moved into a house with LPG previously supplied by Calor. I've just phoned them to get some info and they said if I was to order today, the price would be 37ppl. Do I have to finish off the 2 year contract the previous owners had with them (I think this is until summer 2019 as the boiler was installed summer 2017) or am I free to go with whoever I want? They said something about 3.5ppl potential increase per quarter aswell but i don't know if that was on the previous owners' contract. Forgot to ask about tank rental but they are sending me out a welcome pack.

I've had a look on uklpg.org, is it just a case of calling all the suppliers on there for my postcode?
    Excuse any mis-spelt replies, there's probably a cat sat on the keyboard
    • tp023
    • By tp023 22nd Mar 18, 8:49 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    tp023
    Do I have to finish off the 2 year contract the previous owners had with them (I think this is until summer 2019 as the boiler was installed summer 2017) or am I free to go with whoever I want?
    Originally posted by ceh209
    The contract should end with the previous owner (they signed up not you). 37ppl is too much and watch calor, the wind changes direction and its an extra 3ppl.
    • JerryW
    • By JerryW 23rd Mar 18, 4:26 PM
    • 86 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    JerryW
    There seem to be problems at Flogas .. I ordered some gas at the current Woldlink price, ie before the coming April increase from 36.75p to 43.75p (+VAT, 6 month fix) and was told that Flogas are suffering from a gas shortage and are prioritising supply. Apparently some have even run out..
    My contract is up in August and I shall be looking elsewhere it seems. The huge differential between the price I am quoted and the monthly price continues to irritate.
    Woldlink themselves continue to be as helpful and pleasant to deal with as ever.
    • JerryW
    • By JerryW 25th Mar 18, 11:02 AM
    • 86 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    JerryW
    There seem to be problems at Flogas ..
    Originally posted by JerryW
    In fairness to Flogas I should report that my gas was delivered yesterday, three days after the order was placed...
    • ceh209
    • By ceh209 26th Mar 18, 1:53 PM
    • 756 Posts
    • 495 Thanks
    ceh209
    So I've just moved into a house with LPG previously supplied by Calor. I've just phoned them to get some info and they said if I was to order today, the price would be 37ppl. Do I have to finish off the 2 year contract the previous owners had with them (I think this is until summer 2019 as the boiler was installed summer 2017) or am I free to go with whoever I want? They said something about 3.5ppl potential increase per quarter aswell but i don't know if that was on the previous owners' contract. Forgot to ask about tank rental but they are sending me out a welcome pack.

I've had a look on uklpg.org, is it just a case of calling all the suppliers on there for my postcode?
    First company I called - don't supply my area. Err, well why does it say you do on uklpg then? Oh we're new and expanding, hopefully we will soon...

Second - Avanti Gas. 29ppl 1st year, max 6 ppl increase per 6 months in 2nd year. 110 tank rental (underground) pa. All plus 5% VAT.

Third - Flogas. More expensive than Calor so they're out.

Do I try for more? I was aiming for 30ppl, but I don't have much time as tank is on 25% so need a delivery soon!
    Last edited by ceh209; 26-03-2018 at 2:16 PM.
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 26th Mar 18, 6:26 PM
    • 563 Posts
    • 338 Thanks
    Mister G
    Don't know where in the country you are, but do you have any local independents?
    • ceh209
    • By ceh209 26th Mar 18, 6:53 PM
    • 756 Posts
    • 495 Thanks
    ceh209
    Don't know where in the country you are, but do you have any local independents?
    Originally posted by Mister G
    I'm near Bristol. I'm new to this so don't know who you class as independent! There's 8 in total, so I've been in contact with 4 overall. Of the others, 1 is in administration, and the other 3 have prices much higher than Calor's on their websites (I know they would probably drop it if I called, but we're talking 45-50ppl quoted initially)
    • walpurgis
    • By walpurgis 29th Mar 18, 7:58 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    walpurgis
    I've just noticed that UKLPG posted the following "delivery update" on their Web site yesterday (28 March). It may be of interest if you are running low:

LPG suppliers are currently experiencing a delivery backlog to bulk LPG customers which is due to supply issues from LPG terminals first felt earlier this year which were then exacerbated by the extreme weather conditions experienced across the country over the last few weeks.

UKLPG supply member companies are operating extended delivery times to deliver LPG to customers and increasing staff levels to improve the situation as quickly as possible.

Supplies are returning to normal, however in the meantime, we would advise customers to check your supply pack for advice on when to reorder LPG. Typically this will be when your tank is between 25% and 40% full but this varies between LPG suppliers. Please be aware that usual delivery times may be longer than normal during this period.
    Nice to save.
    • mcmullank
    • By mcmullank 29th Mar 18, 8:44 PM
    • 100 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    mcmullank
    I'm near Bristol. I'm new to this so don't know who you class as independent! There's 8 in total, so I've been in contact with 4 overall. Of the others, 1 is in administration, and the other 3 have prices much higher than Calor's on their websites (I know they would probably drop it if I called, but we're talking 45-50ppl quoted initially)

Who is the supplier in administration?
    • ceh209
    • By ceh209 30th Mar 18, 8:30 AM
    • 756 Posts
    • 495 Thanks
    ceh209
    Who is the supplier in administration?
    Originally posted by mcmullank
    https://www.countrywidefarmers.co.uk/
    • mcmullank
    • By mcmullank 30th Mar 18, 8:34 AM
    • 100 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    mcmullank

They had already sold their LPG business to DCC (Flogas). See https://www.countrywidelpg.co.uk/
    • JerryW
    • By JerryW 31st Mar 18, 3:02 PM
    • 86 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    JerryW
    First company I called - don't supply my area. Err, well why does it say you do on uklpg then? Oh we're new and expanding, hopefully we will soon...
    Do I try for more? I was aiming for 30ppl, but I don't have much time as tank is on 25% so need a delivery soon!
    don't get too upset about companies that can't supply you.. there are a number of smaller companies who will look at your address and then decide .. they want the business, but if you are the only one in a given county it would not be cost-effective for them. Reassuring in a way, that their margins are tight :-)

Always worth trying Woldlink, I think. Just google them. Even if they can't help they are knowledgeable and friendly.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5Posts Today

3,976Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin