Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • molokoid
    • By molokoid 29th Jun 08, 5:46 PM
    • 22Posts
    • 14Thanks
    molokoid
    Bulk LPG - Cheapest suppliers / supply route?
    • 29th Jun 08, 5:46 PM
    Bulk LPG - Cheapest suppliers / supply route? 29th Jun 08 at 5:46 PM
    Hi all,

Moved into a house in Jan that has a bulk LPG tank, which was previously supplied (and the tank is owned by) Calor. The contract they were really keen for me to sign was quite a restrictive lock in one and after speaking and a bit of negotiating they dropped the standing charge and discounted the pence per litre by 12%. This only made me sceptical that they had a lot of fat in the price anyway and there seems to be limited information available on the net about bulk lpg supply (lots of websites that will find you the cheapest supply for a fee!). Seems to be crying out for a MSE article if there are enough bulk lpg owners out there.

Anyway, i read that there is some sort of regulation coming into the market which allows me to choose the supplier i wish and in turn they buy the tank off the previous owners. This seems to be a more market competitive way of doing it, but i can't find out when this is due to happen.

Are there any bulk lpg owners out there that can give me some advice?

TIA
Page 154
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 19th Feb 18, 5:36 PM
    • 17,360 Posts
    • 15,701 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Anyone had any problems with Countrywide level of service?
    Originally posted by Gavin Livingstone
    Previous experiences are probably not directly relevant - Countrywide are in the throes of selling their gas business to Flo's parent, DCC.

https://www.countrywidefarmers.co.uk/strategic-update-and-sale-of-the-lpg-business
    • mcmullank
    • By mcmullank 19th Feb 18, 10:20 PM
    • 100 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    mcmullank
    Hi all,

Moved into a house in Jan that has a bulk LPG tank, which was previously supplied (and the tank is owned by) Calor. The contract they were really keen for me to sign was quite a restrictive lock in one and after speaking and a bit of negotiating they dropped the standing charge and discounted the pence per litre by 12%. This only made me sceptical that they had a lot of fat in the price anyway and there seems to be limited information available on the net about bulk lpg supply (lots of websites that will find you the cheapest supply for a fee!). Seems to be crying out for a MSE article if there are enough bulk lpg owners out there.

Anyway, i read that there is some sort of regulation coming into the market which allows me to choose the supplier i wish and in turn they buy the tank off the previous owners. This seems to be a more market competitive way of doing it, but i can't find out when this is due to happen.

Are there any bulk lpg owners out there that can give me some advice?

TIA
    Originally posted by molokoid
    It has already happened, it was part of the remedies in 2008 that were introduced when the 2006 investigation was concluded. You can find the actual order here: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/55194c0ae5274a142e000365/lpg_order_final.pdf

In short, if you are not in contract with any supplier (including the taking over of a property which has an existing tank), you can choose any supplier and they will either:
    a) take over your existing tank if it is compliant with current regulations or ;
    b) provide a quote for making the tank compliant

and contract you for a maximum of 2 years.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 19th Feb 18, 10:56 PM
    • 20,133 Posts
    • 11,084 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Moved into a house in Jan that has a bulk LPG tank....
    Originally posted by molokoid TEN YEARS AGO
    It has already happened it was part of the remedies in 2008
    Originally posted by mcmullank
    I think the poster you replied to will already be well aware of the changes, the post you quoted is from June 2008
    • mcmullank
    • By mcmullank 19th Feb 18, 10:56 PM
    • 100 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    mcmullank
    I think the poster you replied to will already be well aware of the changes, the post you quoted is almost ten years old
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude
    Oops, that's what happens when this site keeps switching between old and new format!!!

Anyway, the point still stands...
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 19th Feb 18, 11:30 PM
    • 20,133 Posts
    • 11,084 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    that's what happens when this site keeps switching between old and new format!!!
    First I've heard of that one. I switched to the new format some years back and I've not seen the old one since...
    • mcmullank
    • By mcmullank 19th Feb 18, 11:40 PM
    • 100 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    mcmullank
    First I've heard of that one. I switched to the new format some years back and I've not seen the old one since...
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude
    Well here is a little image for you to reminisce.

• Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 20th Feb 18, 12:39 AM
    • 20,133 Posts
    • 11,084 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Well here is a little image for you to reminisce.

Yeah, a blast from the past for me...
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 20th Feb 18, 7:40 AM
    • 17,360 Posts
    • 15,701 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Oooh, yes. That's what it looked like... I was wondering the other day.
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 21st Feb 18, 7:12 PM
    • 2,849 Posts
    • 2,987 Thanks
    LadyDee
    Top lesson for additional question to ask during next year's "how much?" ring-around...

"How long will it take to get a delivery if we've completely run out?"
    Ooops.
    Calor are sticking to their 3-5 days. The order was first thing Weds morning. <edit: Delivered! First thing Sun am>

We can't have a telemetry auto-order doofer, because we've got no mobile signal at all. And I'm an idiot who didn't check the gauge, because he was sure it wouldn't be getting low yet.
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    Don't feel bad about not checking the oil, because some years ago when I was on oil I was checking the gauge regularly. Thought "this is lasting well" (I was new to oil), only to find out on Christmas Eve that I had run out, this was the year that the country was frozen ice everywhere, daughter in Australia so nowhere to go. The gauge had stuck half-way! I spent that Christmas wearing so many layers I couldn't move. The tanker couldn't get to me for about a week due to the bad weather. I was in tears when they eventually got through. I think I actually did give the chap a hug!
    • LittleVermin
    • By LittleVermin 25th Feb 18, 9:01 PM
    • 683 Posts
    • 676 Thanks
    LittleVermin
    New contract at 33ppl from Extra Fuel
    Thanks to
    <snip> Quotes as below:
    Calor: 34ppl fixed 12 months, max 3.5ppl increase every 3 months in 2nd year, plus 250 free gas
    Countrywide (via LPG Compare): 34ppl fixed 12 months, max 7p increase in 2nd year, plus 150 free gas
    Extrafuel: 33ppl fixed 12 months, max 3.5ppl increase every 6 months in 2nd year
    Flogas (via LPG-Save): 38ppl fixed 12 months, max 5ppl increase in 2nd year, plus 125 free gas
    Callow Gas: 39ppl, not fixed.
    <snip>
    Originally posted by Gavin Livingstone
    for all these recent quotes. And to bobmac62 for keeping us all informed about Woldlink's monthly {bargain basement Flogas} tracker price

Woldlink pricing for February advised as 32.1ppl +5% VAT, down from 33.9ppl in January.
    Originally posted by bobmac62
    and to HateLPG for all the charts so we can compare what we pay our suppliers with what the suppliers pay (there are very few refineries producing LPG in the UK)
    <snip> some new figures, so here goes.

Click Graph for larger version
    As always, Hope these are of use.

Enjoy
    Originally posted by HateLPG

From http://www.uklpg.org I saw that Avantigas and J Gas (which took over the excellent Lima Gas based in Southampton) were also potential suppliers for my postcode..... but I didn't bother to contact these two and just sent an email to Extra Fuel quoting the prices posted by Gavin L and Bob M and saying these were far lower than the out-of-contract price I was being quoted - with the obvious implication that I was prepared to move. And adding that I was happy with Extra Fuel (YES, when I ring up .... which I very rarely do.... I speak to a human. With a name. A name I recognise from previous emails or conversations.)

Result! 33ppl for 12 months, max 3.5ppl rise per 6 months. 75 annual rental above ground (covering all bits on the tank). LPG delivered by Flogas.

Yes, I'm sure I could have made a spreadsheet, used my annual consumption figures ...and shaved a few pounds off. But I prefer to spend my time on other things. AND I know I wouldn't trust some of the suppliers .... just read previous posts from quite a few different people! Remember HateLPG got a refund from Calor of nearly 1000 some years ago when he worked out how much they had overcharged him (above his contract). And Flogas has just given an old lady in Pembrokeshire 400 of 'free' gas - after vastly overcharging her AND making it hard to switch. Yes, Flogas is proud to be the supplier of gas to Prince Charles and they also got on the Beeb with the story about the 90 year old lady in Pembrokeshire - maybe not so proud of the latter?
    (see earlier post by HateLPG).
    Last edited by LittleVermin; 25-02-2018 at 9:13 PM. Reason: added link to BBC story re Flogas and 90 year old customer
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 26th Feb 18, 10:43 AM
    • 559 Posts
    • 336 Thanks
    Mister G
    Just ordered 1000l of LPG from my local independent, HBS. Still at 30ppl + VAT.
    • Sarahaw
    • By Sarahaw 1st Mar 18, 8:40 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sarahaw
    There should be no need to change the tank or pipeline as long they are validated
    • mcmullank
    • By mcmullank 7th Mar 18, 7:14 PM
    • 100 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    mcmullank
    Woldlink LPG Price for March is 28.99ppl down from 32.1ppl in February
    • Bethmiss
    • By Bethmiss 11th Mar 18, 2:31 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Bethmiss
    We had letter from JGas back in November telling us LPG price would be increasing by 3ppl as of 1st December 2017. Ordered gas that week, as had previously planned, and got it at 28ppl.
    Tank level down to about 25% the other day, so ordered 700 litres on Friday 2nd March. I foolishly forgot to check the price, being in a hurry at the time, but assumed it would be 31ppl. Gas delivered on Wednesday 7th. Price back to 28ppl, so now wishing I'd ordered more. Plan is to have sufficient gas in tank that I'm not negotiating new contract in November again. JGas okay to deal with, and phone is answered by a person rather than a recorded message giving instructions on various options. Tank rental is 48 per annum + VAT. Chances are we'll stick with JGas when time comes to negotiate.
    • willwol
    • By willwol 13th Mar 18, 3:40 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    willwol
    Hi All

Just been advised by the people at Woldlink that they cannot say when our order for 1300 litres of lpg placed on 27th February (14 days ago) will be delivered. Apparently Flogas (Woldlink's current suppliers) have overstretched themselves and are only delivering to customers who have been without gas for 7 days!

Woldlink say that they now have another local (presumably local to Louth, not to us in West Dorset) and are in discussions with another supplier, but that since we're in contract with Flogas (via Woldlink) until October 2018 they can't supply us using another supplier.

I cannot see in Flogas's T&Cs, any explicit guaranteed delivery time, but my feeling is that a failure to deliver within 14 days, even with the recent weather is a material breach, so freeing me to go back to the open market for a supply. Is anyone else in a similar position, or have any info/thoughts?
    • JadeeDevon
    • By JadeeDevon 13th Mar 18, 6:52 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    JadeeDevon
    Received new pricing from Woldlink:
    Woldlink Bulk LPG 6 monthly price fix from the 1st of April 2018
    Flogas have submitted the next price fix for the 6 monthly Bulk LPG contracts that will come in to effect from the 1st of April. The price will be increasing from the current 36.75 pence per litre (+VAT) to 43.45 pence per litre (+VAT) and will be fixed through to 30th of September 2018.
    • Bethmiss
    • By Bethmiss 13th Mar 18, 9:37 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Bethmiss
    willwol,

I think when we were with Flogas they said 7 - 10 days for delivery.
    This was timing set by people in office in England, who had no idea of geography of Aberdeenshire - or anywhere else for that matter! Local depot was less than 10 miles from us, so we usually got delivery as soon as drivers could manage it after they received instructions.

I'd say your supplier has broken contract (whether it's Woldlink or Flogas), so you should be able to look elsewhere. Might be worth trying whatever JGas is called in Southampton (info somewhere on these threads!) to see if they'd come over as far as you. We're now with JGas, and over 30 - 35 miles from depot in Aberdeen. They deliver all over NE Scotland from Aberdeen, so must be covering distances of at least 80 miles on some deliveries. Weather here forecast to get colder (and wintry again) towards end of week, so hope you get gas very soon. Good Luck.
    • Bethmiss
    • By Bethmiss 13th Mar 18, 9:42 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Bethmiss
    Sorry forgot to add this bit on for JadeeDevon!

As detailed 2 posts before yours: told by JGas our price would rise 3ppl from 1st Dec 2017. Gas ordered before that at 28ppl. New order on 2nd March, and invoice apparently at 28ppl ie increase not applied. I took that to mean that LPG price had fallen again! You need to look elsewhere for a supplier, as you're really paying over the odds. Our tank rental 48 per annum.
    • willwol
    • By willwol 14th Mar 18, 9:10 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    willwol
    willwol,

I think when we were with Flogas they said 7 - 10 days for delivery.
    This was timing set by people in office in England, who had no idea of geography of Aberdeenshire - or anywhere else for that matter! Local depot was less than 10 miles from us, so we usually got delivery as soon as drivers could manage it after they received instructions.

I'd say your supplier has broken contract (whether it's Woldlink or Flogas), so you should be able to look elsewhere. Might be worth trying whatever JGas is called in Southampton (info somewhere on these threads!) to see if they'd come over as far as you. We're now with JGas, and over 30 - 35 miles from depot in Aberdeen. They deliver all over NE Scotland from Aberdeen, so must be covering distances of at least 80 miles on some deliveries. Weather here forecast to get colder (and wintry again) towards end of week, so hope you get gas very soon. Good Luck.
    Originally posted by Bethmiss
    Many thanks Bethmiss - I've contacted JGas to see if they deliver here, along with Park Gas who are located in Honiton not too far away. Depending on these responses I may go ahead and terminate with Flogas for breach...
    • mcmullank
    • By mcmullank 14th Mar 18, 9:26 AM
    • 100 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    mcmullank
    Many thanks Bethmiss - I've contacted JGas to see if they deliver here, along with Park Gas who are located in Honiton not too far away. Depending on these responses I may go ahead and terminate with Flogas for breach...
    Originally posted by willwol
    Have you actually run out of gas? Do you have telemetry on your tank? Both of these may be influencing Flogas' priorities.

Whilst I can understand your frustration at the time taken, you cannot unilaterally decide what is constitutes a breach of contract. If the contract makes no mention of delivery times then I would be wary of taking the action that you are suggesting. This would be particularly true if you still have gas.

The other issue that you have is that the tank will still be owned by Flogas and I doubt that the tank transfer would take less time than a delivery from Flogas.

Good luck whatever you decide.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,217Posts Today

8,439Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin