Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bishopsgirl
    • By bishopsgirl 7th Nov 18, 4:29 PM
    • 1,715Posts
    • 6,863Thanks
    bishopsgirl
    Samsung UHD TV 49"
    • 7th Nov 18, 4:29 PM
    Samsung UHD TV 49" 7th Nov 18 at 4:29 PM
    My partner won a Samsung UHD TV 49" which was delivered six weeks ago.No indication at all of which retailer supplied it.

We currently have an old HD ready Sony TV which we watch through an old basic Skybox with a basic subscription. Our TV aerial is at least 20 years old.

Naively we thought we could just take The new TV out of the box and swap over all the scart leads etc and that would be us ready to watch. This was not the case so TV went back in the box and there it has stayed.

The Samsung UHD TV 49" has no scart connection points at all.

We contacted Sky who suggested we take out an 18 month Sky Q contract with them which they could install almost immediately. They said it would be 10 installation charge and 20 for the box then 12 per month plus 20 channel fee. We currently pay 23.50 per month.

We have Sky because my partner loves to watch Rugby Union which is available from BT to watch through the Skybox. He would not give up his rugby fix.

Another option I think is Freeview but we would, I think need a new aerial and not sure if the BT rugby is available via this route.

Broadband is very slow and poor here where we live and BT have told us one of their boxes is not an option.

Virgin have no cables here.

Really we would be happy to keep our old Skybox but that does not seem possible.

Does anyone one have any thoughts on what we should do?
    Be Lucky Everyone
Page 1
    • chrisw
    • By chrisw 7th Nov 18, 4:38 PM
    • 1,797 Posts
    • 1,030 Thanks
    chrisw
    • 7th Nov 18, 4:38 PM
    • 7th Nov 18, 4:38 PM
    You could pick up a Sky HD box with a HDMI output second hand for 10 or less.

I cant remember whether you can just swap the viewing card over or whether Sky need to send you a new one. You will need to contact Sky to pair it anyway.

I
    • Inner Zone
    • By Inner Zone 7th Nov 18, 4:39 PM
    • 2,373 Posts
    • 1,376 Thanks
    Inner Zone
    • 7th Nov 18, 4:39 PM
    My partner won a Samsung UHD TV 49" which was delivered six weeks ago.No indication at all of which retailer supplied it.

We currently have an old HD ready Sony TV which we watch through an old basic Skybox with a basic subscription. Our TV aerial is at least 20 years old.

Naively we thought we could just take The new TV out of the box and swap over all the scart leads etc and that would be us ready to watch. This was not the case so TV went back in the box and there it has stayed.

The Samsung UHD TV 49" has no scart connection points at all.

We contacted Sky who suggested we take out an 18 month Sky Q contract with them which they could install almost immediately. They said it would be 10 installation charge and 20 for the box then 12 per month plus 20 channel fee. We currently pay 23.50 per month.

We have Sky because my partner loves to watch Rugby Union which is available from BT to watch through the Skybox. He would not give up his rugby fix.

Another option I think is Freeview but we would, I think need a new aerial and not sure if the BT rugby is available via this route.

Broadband is very slow and poor here where we live and BT have told us one of their boxes is not an option.

Virgin have no cables here.

Really we would be happy to keep our old Skybox but that does not seem possible.

Does anyone one have any thoughts on what we should do?
    Originally posted by bishopsgirl

Is there not a AV adapter in the TV box? Usually three or five phono sockets, red, white, yellow etc to two jack plugs.

Example:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-UE55D6100-Audio-Component-Adapter/dp/B0072WJE3I/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1541608764&sr =1-7&keywords=samsung+rca+adapter

As you have given very little info, a Scart to three phono lead may work but will be the second lowest signal quality at composite video.

An example not a recommendation:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CDL-Micro-SCART-Triple-Switchable/dp/B001QWZ8AI/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1541608648&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=scart+to+rca&psc=1
    Last edited by Inner Zone; 07-11-2018 at 4:54 PM. Reason: Spilling
    • thebigstillmeister
    • By thebigstillmeister 7th Nov 18, 4:39 PM
    • 143 Posts
    • 113 Thanks
    thebigstillmeister
    Scart? how old is the Skybox? do you not have an HD connection on the SkyBox?

If not think you can get scart to HDMI converters for about 20,
    • custardy
    • By custardy 7th Nov 18, 4:41 PM
    • 34,142 Posts
    • 29,019 Thanks
    custardy
    • 7th Nov 18, 4:41 PM
    • 7th Nov 18, 4:41 PM
    You could pick up a Sky HD box with a HDMI output second hand for 10 or less.

I cant remember whether you can just swap the viewing card over or whether Sky need to send you a new one. You will need to contact Sky to pair it anyway.

I
    Originally posted by chrisw
    agreed. We run Sky HD into a 55" Samsung UHD TV.
    Scart is ancient tech now.
    • bishopsgirl
    • By bishopsgirl 7th Nov 18, 4:46 PM
    • 1,715 Posts
    • 6,863 Thanks
    bishopsgirl
    • 7th Nov 18, 4:46 PM
    • 7th Nov 18, 4:46 PM
    Scart? how old is the Skybox? do you not have an HD connection on the SkyBox?

If not think you can get scart to HDMI converters for about 20,
    Originally posted by thebigstillmeister
    It is very Very old a bit like me.
    Be Lucky Everyone
    • bishopsgirl
    • By bishopsgirl 7th Nov 18, 5:01 PM
    • 1,715 Posts
    • 6,863 Thanks
    bishopsgirl
    • 7th Nov 18, 5:01 PM
    • 7th Nov 18, 5:01 PM
    Is there not a AV adapter in the TV box? Usually three or five phono sockets, red, white, yellow etc to two jack plugs.

Example:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-UE55D6100-Audio-Component-Adapter/dp/B0072WJE3I/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1541608764&sr =1-7&keywords=samsung+rca+adapter

As you have give very little info, a Scart to three phono lead may work but will be the second lowest signal quality at composite video.

An example not a recommendation:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CDL-Micro-SCART-Triple-Switchable/dp/B001QWZ8AI/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1541608648&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=scart+to+rca&psc=1
    Originally posted by Inner Zone
    Thank you for your help.

Just had a look there are three or five phono sockets, red, white, yellow etc to two jack plugs in the box but I am totally clueless what to do with them or what they do.

There is another black rectangular piece that says COMMON INTERFACE 5V ONLY.

Once again thank you for your help but I think I may be far far too much of a technophobe to understand what people on here are advising me.
    Be Lucky Everyone
    • Inner Zone
    • By Inner Zone 7th Nov 18, 5:06 PM
    • 2,373 Posts
    • 1,376 Thanks
    Inner Zone
    • 7th Nov 18, 5:06 PM
    • 7th Nov 18, 5:06 PM
    Thank you for your help.

Just had a look there are three or five phono sockets, red, white, yellow etc to two jack plugs in the box but I am totally clueless what to do with them or what they do.

There must be a matching socket on the TV probably on the back. What does the manual say?

There is another black rectangular piece that says COMMON INTERFACE 5V ONLY.

Ignore that is not relevant to this issue.

Once again thank you for your help but I think I may be far far too much of a technophobe to understand what people on here are advising me.

As you have still not give any info, assuming the Sky box has a Scart socket the second lead I linked too connects between the Sky box and TV.
    • bishopsgirl
    • By bishopsgirl 7th Nov 18, 5:14 PM
    • 1,715 Posts
    • 6,863 Thanks
    bishopsgirl
    • 7th Nov 18, 5:14 PM
    • 7th Nov 18, 5:14 PM
    [As you have still not give any info, assuming the Sky box has a Scart socket the second lead I linked too connects between the Sky box and TV.[/QUOTE]

This does look like something that will work. Thank you.
    Be Lucky Everyone
    • custardy
    • By custardy 7th Nov 18, 6:17 PM
    • 34,142 Posts
    • 29,019 Thanks
    custardy
    I expect the OPS Tv has connections like these.
    So the TV uses breakout connections for composite/component connections

However I would still cut all this and simply 'upgrade' to a 2nd hand Sky HD box.
    OP are you under contract with Sky?
    • bishopsgirl
    • By bishopsgirl 7th Nov 18, 6:35 PM
    • 1,715 Posts
    • 6,863 Thanks
    bishopsgirl
    Thank you custardy.

I may well follow your advice.

The TV is back in its box so can not confirm the connections.

No we do not have a sky contract although we have been with them for about 25 years we never renewed contract and once BT took over the rugby we cancelled Sky Sports.
    Be Lucky Everyone
    • custardy
    • By custardy 7th Nov 18, 7:01 PM
    • 34,142 Posts
    • 29,019 Thanks
    custardy
    Thank you custardy.

I may well follow your advice.

The TV is back in its box so can not confirm the connections.

No we do not have a sky contract although we have been with them for about 25 years we never renewed contract and once BT took over the rugby we cancelled Sky Sports.
    If you post up the model no. from the box we can confirm.
    However mine is under a year old and has the same set up.
    As long as your card would work,a Sky HD box with HDMI is simple to set up.
    • bishopsgirl
    • By bishopsgirl 7th Nov 18, 7:15 PM
    • 1,715 Posts
    • 6,863 Thanks
    bishopsgirl
    The model no is UE49NU7100K.
    Be Lucky Everyone
    • RumRat
    • By RumRat 7th Nov 18, 9:36 PM
    • 2,948 Posts
    • 1,758 Thanks
    RumRat
    That's not a bad budget 4K TV. Instead of trying to get antiquated equipment to fit it, upgrade the peripherals.
    I can guarantee Hubby will enjoy the Rugby on the new TV once you've upgraded...
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 8th Nov 18, 5:05 PM
    • 3,832 Posts
    • 2,868 Thanks
    Tarambor
    Well the good news is you're basically on Freesat then. The even better news is your TV has a built in satellite TV receiver that does Freesat so all you need to do is unplug the cable from the Sky box that goes to the dish and plug it into the same type of antenna socket on your TV and do a channel scan.
    • bishopsgirl
    • By bishopsgirl 8th Nov 18, 5:36 PM
    • 1,715 Posts
    • 6,863 Thanks
    bishopsgirl
    Thank you Tarambor that is really helpful.
    Be Lucky Everyone
    • cranford
    • By cranford 8th Nov 18, 7:42 PM
    • 322 Posts
    • 152 Thanks
    cranford
    Tamambor I cannot see in the spec where this TV has built in Freesat but assuming it does and you can connect the Sky lead to this I don't think built in Freesat can receive BT sport. It will receive channel similar to Freeview but if your TV is like my LG one you can only view the Freesat or Freeview channel guide at any one time. You just have to select one of the other in the settings.
    Incidentally even though your aerial in 20 years old, when they switched off the analog TV signal a good few years ago, they increase the digital f
    Freeview strength so its worth a try tuning this in.
    Last edited by cranford; 08-11-2018 at 8:01 PM.
    • bishopsgirl
    • By bishopsgirl 8th Nov 18, 8:15 PM
    • 1,715 Posts
    • 6,863 Thanks
    bishopsgirl
    Thanks cranford I have been googling and I think you are correct about Freesat not receiving BT sport. BT sport is a must in this house unless they stop showing the rugby.
    Be Lucky Everyone
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 8th Nov 18, 8:40 PM
    • 32,966 Posts
    • 20,759 Thanks
    DCFC79
    As been suggested just get a second hand box.
    • macman
    • By macman 8th Nov 18, 10:48 PM
    • 42,788 Posts
    • 18,035 Thanks
    macman
    BT Sport is a subscription channel, so you won't get it with a Freesat box or tuner.
    You are really overthinking this. You can get a SCART to HDMI adaptor on ebay for 13. And dozens of newish Sky boxes from a tenner upwards.
    Since you are out of minimum term with Sky (not out of contract) and currently paying the rack rate, one phone call to cancel should result in a discounted rate and the offer of a new box FOC. You just have to ask.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,598Posts Today

7,991Users online

Martin's Twitter