Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    CMA Communications
    11 WOW
    Do you use TopCashback or Quidco? Help our investigation.
    • 7th Nov 18, 5:39 PM
    11 WOW
    Do you use TopCashback or Quidco? Help our investigation. 7th Nov 18 at 5:39 PM

Have you ever saved money or bagged a bargain using the websites TopCashback or Quidco?

These 2 websites offer cashback offers and deals to people in the UK. The Competition and Markets Authority is currently investigating their anticipated merger to make sure it doesn't lead to worse deals for the people who use their sites.

As part of the investigation, we need your help.

We'd like to hear from anyone who has used TopCashback or Quidco.

We'd like to know:
    • Why do you use TopCashback or Quidco?
    • Which other sites would you have used if these sites hadn't been available?
    • Do you have any views on the merger between TopCashback and Quidco?

If you'd like to help our investigation, please comment on this thread or send an email with your views to topcashback.quidco@cma.gov.uk

Read MSE's news story for more information about the merger.

We look forward to hearing from you!
    Last edited by CMA Communications; 08-11-2018 at 9:55 AM.
Page 1
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 7th Nov 18, 5:50 PM
    • 33,857 Posts
    • 39,988 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 7th Nov 18, 5:50 PM
    • 7th Nov 18, 5:50 PM
    1) use them as it's basically money for nothing (if it tracks)
    2) only use these 2
    3) I think the proposed merger is likely to remove any incentive for retailers to offer an exclusive deal , there are also concerns that if they so wish they could blacklist retailers .

The apparent variations in insurance quotes when going via a cashback site or going direct also needs looking at . I see no valid reason why the quotes should be higher via the cashback sites links
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • Frugal Saver
    • By Frugal Saver 7th Nov 18, 8:13 PM
    • 299 Posts
    • 708 Thanks
    Frugal Saver
    • 7th Nov 18, 8:13 PM
    • 7th Nov 18, 8:13 PM
    I only use topcashback and Quidco.I use them as it’s free money. I always check both sites before making a purchase. Where the % is the same I go with topcashback as I find they pay out much quicker
    LBM September 2012
    Debt at LBM 10,573.00
    Current debt 5,950 (09/09/18)
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 8th Nov 18, 3:15 PM
    • 12,516 Posts
    • 8,552 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    • 8th Nov 18, 3:15 PM
    • 8th Nov 18, 3:15 PM
    I have used both of them, but have only used TopCashBack over the last few years.

I don't think I would have used any other cashback sites had these two not been available: I was aware of others (and even registered for them) but it was common knowledge that claims were rarely honoured on these other sites, and so they failed long ago.

I am concerned about the merger because there will then be no kind of competitive pressure to maintain standards. I was very happy with TopCashBack until about a year ago, but since then have found that promised cash-back fails to appear. The lack of effective competition means that they simply say "tough luck" when this happens. So market forces are not working at present, and the merger will make things even worse.

I think that the merger should only be permitted if the new cash-back site is made legally liable to pay promised benefits so long as the consumer can demonstrate that s/he made the purchase in question and satisfied any conditions -- none of this "sorry, it simply didn't track and we don't know why" nonsense.
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 8th Nov 18, 7:50 PM
    • 12,940 Posts
    • 23,973 Thanks
    Sleazy
    • 8th Nov 18, 7:50 PM
    • 8th Nov 18, 7:50 PM
    Over the years have got a total of 500 + from TopCashBack. I've also used Quidco in the past, but found TCB better overall.
    (P)earl Of The Alphabetty
    Nabob Of None
    • hollie.weimeraner
    • By hollie.weimeraner 8th Nov 18, 7:53 PM
    • 1,693 Posts
    • 1,211 Thanks
    hollie.weimeraner
    • 8th Nov 18, 7:53 PM
    • 8th Nov 18, 7:53 PM
    I have used both of them, but have only used TopCashBack over the last few years.

I am concerned about the merger because there will then be no kind of competitive pressure to maintain standards.

I think that the merger should only be permitted if the new cash-back site is made legally liable to pay promised benefits so long as the consumer can demonstrate that s/he made the purchase in question and satisfied any conditions -- none of this "sorry, it simply didn't track and we don't know why" nonsense.
    Originally posted by Voyager2002
    Excellent response which I totally agree with and more or less mirrors my use. I stopped using Quidco years ago due to a number of transactions not tracking and claims rejected. I have had around 1500 back in total from Topcashback so really happy with them as I have had very few failed transactions.

I'm not sure the merger is in the consumers best interest.
    3.975 KW Solar PV. 15 Canadian Black 265w panels with Sunny Boy 3600tl Inverter. SSE facing with 30 degree pitch. In occasionally sunny Sheffield.
    Toyota Auris Hybrid Tourer
    Toyota Yaris Hybrid
    • paddyandstumpy
    • By paddyandstumpy 8th Nov 18, 7:58 PM
    • 1,177 Posts
    • 665 Thanks
    paddyandstumpy
    • 8th Nov 18, 7:58 PM
    • 8th Nov 18, 7:58 PM
    The apparent variations in insurance quotes when going via a cashback site or going direct also needs looking at . I see no valid reason why the quotes should be higher via the cashback sites links
    Originally posted by Browntoa
    The rates are most likely inflated via CB sites to then pay for the CB. It's a false economy.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 8th Nov 18, 7:59 PM
    • 33,857 Posts
    • 39,988 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 8th Nov 18, 7:59 PM
    • 8th Nov 18, 7:59 PM
    Shouldn't be allowed either way
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • Akira181
    • By Akira181 9th Nov 18, 12:29 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    Akira181
    • 9th Nov 18, 12:29 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 12:29 PM
    I use TCB mainly because I go on a lot of short business trips, so the cashback on hotels and flights helps me recoup any fuel expenses (as the government company car fuel allowance expects you to do an unrealistic 61mpg to break even. 58mpg on the motorway is the max I can do, barely get 35 in city traffic. Not to mention fuel prices have been going up like crazy the last few months).

If TCB didn't exist, I'd go to the next biggest. But I'd only use one as I don't think it's worth wasting my time comparing each site just for a few extra pennies here and there.

My biggest issue with TCB is that it rarely tracks (probably cause of my adblock) and the tracking amount is often short by a few pennies. E.g. I bought something for 65.12 at 3.15% cashback. I'm a plus member (forgot to cancel free trial), and got 2.04 cashback. 3.15% should be 2.05. So a penny short and the plus membership done nothing.

I don't see the merger making the service any better, probably worse with less attractive offers. But I'd continue to use them until MSE knocks them off their top spot.
    • expressman33
    • By expressman33 9th Nov 18, 2:08 PM
    • 420 Posts
    • 5,187 Thanks
    expressman33
    there are always other cashback sites - I mostly use Imutual because of the cashback guarantee and a more personal response to any queries ( also got some good forums )
    • William Joseph
    • By William Joseph 9th Nov 18, 2:35 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    William Joseph
    I only use these sites when their cashback is considerably better than the cashback offered at imutual and even then I think very carefully about it first. They are notorious for their non tracking and often rejected transactions with sometimes the flimsiest of excuses hoping you will disappear rather than involve them in work and the claims system is not the easiest to manoeuvre. The service at both sites has deteriorated greatly over the past few years especially at Quidco and especially since they started a fee paying membership system. I feel greatly disenfranchised by them. They are without doubt the two biggest sites around and by merging even operating as two separate sites (which they say they will) will enable them to continue with their cavalier attitudes and provide even worse service than they do now. Competition will be eroded. It's hard to see how the creation of a single company can be good news for the consumer. Choice and competition is always the best means for improving offerings to customers. This merger will give them an incredibly dominant position in online advertising. It would make it very easy for them to be able to abuse their position in the market. imutual on the other hand have a cashback guarantee on most merchants and queries are dealt with promptly sometimes on the same day. A much more honest and reliable site IMO.
    • bristolleedsfan
    • By bristolleedsfan 9th Nov 18, 10:26 PM
    • 7,535 Posts
    • 9,643 Thanks
    bristolleedsfan
    They used to hate each other, now the chiefs at the top of both companies are proposing a luvin.

Already several key merchants particularly finance will only work/be promoted on these two cashback sites, thus other cashback sites cant get/promote key merchants e.g credit card cashback opening incentives.

At least currently their is competition on cashback rates (how much of each sites profits get offered back to the membership to encourage individual users to use either Quidco or TCB ) between two sites for all merchant/company cashback offers including many merchant cashback offers e.g credit card cashback opening incentives that other cashback sites aren't able to promote if the merger goes ahead then ..............................
    • star2000
    • By star2000 10th Nov 18, 10:24 AM
    • 49 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    star2000
    I would be very concerned with a merger. The only incentive for either of these companies to improve is the competition with each other - most of the other cashback sites are too small to offer any real competition. With a merger cashback deals will become worse and customer service which is already appalling will be dire. The only way I ahve managed to get my cashback owed on several occasions is to complain straight to the retailer, sometimes following up a complaint direct with them over several weeks when either Topcashback or Quidco have said there is nothing more they can do and told me not to contact the merchant direct.I have got a result every time. There needs to be more incentive for the sites to improve and an investigation into their false advertising (promising cashback with little mention of the fact it might not track or be guaranteed) rather than a merger.
    • newpuppy
    • By newpuppy 12th Nov 18, 7:37 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    newpuppy
    I use both, no preference and no good/bad experiences either way. It's free money, so why not? If I'm going to buy from a merchant anyway, I may as well get some cash back.

HOWEVER, if there's a big cashback at stake (eg on insurances) then I no longer risk using cashback sites, for fear of not getting the payout. I use comparison sites instead and just go for the cheapest insurance on offer.

I wouldn't bother using an alternative cashback site unless MSE recommended it.

I'm not sure whether a merger would be good or bad for users. I hadn't noticed them competing for custom before now, so they probably wouldn't change much in future (unless the business got more cut-throat and the customer and merchants got worse deals).
    • ANDYPANDY
    • By ANDYPANDY 12th Nov 18, 8:06 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    ANDYPANDY
    Topcashback
    I only use Topcashback. I usually shop on line and then check with Topcashback before I purchase to see if I can get money back on my purchase. It doesn't always track so I don't rely on the discount and it doesn't influence how I spend. I have received a lot of money over the years though.
    Named after my cat, picture coming shortly
    • muhandis
    • By muhandis 12th Nov 18, 8:10 PM
    • 398 Posts
    • 157 Thanks
    muhandis
    1. I moved to TCB when Quidco started charging a monthly/annual fee a few years ago. Only use TCB now as they and Quidco are the only two biggies I know of.

2. If they merged, I guess I’d end up using whatever they ended up as. Don’t know of any viable alternative.

3. Firmly against the proposed merger simply because it removes the only real competition that I know of in the online cashback arena. The things I see happening are -
    - charging a mandatory periodic fee
    - a degraded customer service as customers can’t really take their money elsewhere
    - lower cashback rates as TCBQuidco will be the only game in town
    - using the newly acquired quasi-monopoly to demanding exclusivity from retailers to avoid other competition entering the market.

Overall, it will inevitably lead to a poorer outcome for the customers who use TCB and/or Quidco at present.
    • Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 12th Nov 18, 8:15 PM
    • 22,975 Posts
    • 57,597 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    1. Only ever use TCB as I resent having to pay to join Quidco. I try to remember to go through the site but get annoyed that I have to 'window shop' in incognito mode so that TCB then tracks the purchase correctly.

2. If TCB were not available, I wouldn't use an alternate (I'm not aware of a free alternate).

3. I don't really have any views on the merge. If the resultant company didn't charge a membership fee and still gave around the same amount of cashback, I'd probably use it.
    Mrs Marleyboy

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

Proud Parents to an Au-some son
    • elsien
    • By elsien 12th Nov 18, 8:20 PM
    • 17,567 Posts
    • 44,422 Thanks
    elsien
    I use them both, depending on which is offering the best rate at the time.
    I wasn't aware they were proposing to merge but it will certainly reduce competition and lead to lower rates if they do. At the moment each of them has exclusive higher rates at times which would no longer happened if they merge.
    I also occasionally use the comparison sites such as compare the market fir cashback for utilities swaps if they offer better cashback at the time, but that's probably only once a year or so.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 12th Nov 18, 8:43 PM
    • 9,371 Posts
    • 7,041 Thanks
    pmduk

I don't think I would have used any other cashback sites had these two not been available: I was aware of others (and even registered for them) but it was common knowledge that claims were rarely honoured on these other sites, and so they failed long ago.

I am concerned about the merger because there will then be no kind of competitive pressure to maintain standards. I was very happy with TopCashBack until about a year ago, but since then have found that promised cash-back fails to appear. The lack of effective competition means that they simply say "tough luck" when this happens. So market forces are not working at present, and the merger will make things even worse.

Originally posted by Voyager2002
    I fully concur with the above. Additionally, retailers should be held accountable for their affiliate agencies who make the deals that the retailers then renege upon.
    • Puncharama
    • By Puncharama 12th Nov 18, 10:26 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Puncharama
    I use both
    I don't support a merger, it will reduce competition.

With 2 sites they sometime have different rates and unique deals... a single site will be a monopoly and that is rarely any good for the consumer.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,357Posts Today

7,150Users online

Martin's Twitter