Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 24th Dec 17, 7:08 PM
    • 1,252Posts
    • 13,336Thanks
    3forholidays
    * Rocking around the Christmas Tree * - It's the 2018 Christmas Chatter Thread
    • 24th Dec 17, 7:08 PM
    * Rocking around the Christmas Tree * - It's the 2018 Christmas Chatter Thread 24th Dec 17 at 7:08 PM
    ‘Rockin' around the Christmas tree
    At the Christmas party hop
    Mistletoe hung where you can see
    Every couple tries to stop

Rockin' around the Christmas tree
    Let the Christmas spirit ring
    Later we'll have some pumpkin pie
    And we'll do some caroling’

Hello and welcome to the 7th Christmas Chatter Thread.

It’s hard to believe that another year has gone and we are almost at the big event that we have spent so long planning and preparing for! But this thread is about so much more than Christmas but about the whole year with all the ups and downs, as well as the bits in between.

NOTE - For all new people please don't lurk, but come and join in with all the chatter. We are all a little mad (about Christmas!), but not dangerous.

The following posts will be made up of all the links saved from last year with new ones added as we go.
    This will hopefully make it easier in October/November when we are all looking for them.

Please let me know if any become out of date or if you would like your birthday added to the list

Thanks to all posters on the previous threads – the thread is only a success because of your contributions!

So on that note it is over to you and roll on Christmas 2018!

Our Birthdays

JANUARY
    Newthrift 18th
    Clumsy42 28th

FEBRUARY
    murie 24th
    junior_j 25th

MARCH
    vulpix 12th

APRIL
    quidsy 23rd
    princesskitty29 29th

MAY
    pixtotts 4th
    Opee92 13th
    jakes-mum 19th
    Girl in a Yellow Dress 21st

JUNE
    Nic2075 1st
    04624181 13th
    dropsofjupiter 22nd
    msgigglewick 23rd

JULY
    mrs-moneypenny 17th
    Hanley25 19th

AUGUST
    Treasurequeen 12th
    patentgirl 30th

SEPTEMBER
    Spendless 28th
    whitesatin 28th

OCTOBER
    freespirit66 1st

NOVEMBER
    Peppapig 1st
    mrsinvisable 7th
    pinknfluffy28 28th

DECEMBER
    FeistyFidget 14th
    3forholidays 15th
    CHRISSYG 25th !!!!!!!!

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Tine; 13-11-2018 at 4:32 PM.
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC No 043
    SPC 10 - £520 SPC 11 - £975
Page 56
    • StokieBecks
    • By StokieBecks 8th Nov 18, 7:16 PM
    • 4,624 Posts
    • 28,142 Thanks
    StokieBecks
    Well I currently have 245 cards made for the school fair - mixture of birthday and christmas. Probably far too many but gives lots of choice for folks -

Think I am pretty much all set now for it. Got my change, got my paper bags, got my baskets and stands for displaying with. Just equal measures scared and excited for it now.

Hope everyone is ok today. Still annoyed about work but as nothing I can do just going to get on with it for a few weeks. New Year will be here before we know it really so can reassess then as long as don't feel bad with it all the next few weeks. Won't let it spoil Christmas
    • mrsinvisible
    • By mrsinvisible 9th Nov 18, 7:42 AM
    • 1,276 Posts
    • 13,272 Thanks
    mrsinvisible
    Gosh, thank you all for the lovely birthday wishes. l had a nice day with DGN and visitors. Sorry l haven't been on much recently, hope to be able to tell you why soon. Today l am taking another friend for their face to face PIP appointment, and this evening l am helping DGS auntie to write a business plan. l have never done one before so l will have to research it on yootoob or somewhere. You all seem very busy with Christmas, lovely gift ideas, never thought of a 'date night' type hamper, but what a good idea for DNs and spouses. Will deffo use that.
    school run time, back soon.
    • princesskitty29
    • By princesskitty29 9th Nov 18, 11:11 AM
    • 908 Posts
    • 12,305 Thanks
    princesskitty29
    Peppa ha thatís just the way it goes with New Yearís resolutions isnít it? DH and I like to sit down on New Year ís Eve and make new ones for the year ahead but I honestly donít think Iíve even looked at the list this year! Every year I always say Iím going to make one new recipe a week (I love cooking and have hundreds of recipes stored up) and one thing from Pinterest a month. I havenít kept track this year but I donít think Iím doing too badly!

radioactivepig eek thanks for the Bargain Crazy heads up, Iím off to have a nose!

Stokiebecks wow thatís a lot of cards! Well done you, I hope it all goes really well.

mrsinvisible glad to hear you had a good birthday. I canít believe how much you get done all the time! You are so important to so many people itís lovely.

Well Iíve started reading a Christmas book; Mince Pies & Mistletoe at the Christmas Market by Heidi Swain. Iím sure itís going to be a cheesy one but thatís what Christmas is all about isnít it? I keep seeing loads more Christmas books in the shops and Iím having to really restrain myself as I have two more sitting in the cupboard waiting to be read!
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 9th Nov 18, 7:35 PM
    • 7,564 Posts
    • 51,964 Thanks
    kerri gt

Well Iíve started reading a Christmas book; Mince Pies & Mistletoe at the Christmas Market by Heidi Swain. Iím sure itís going to be a cheesy one but thatís what Christmas is all about isnít it? I keep seeing loads more Christmas books in the shops and Iím having to really restrain myself as I have two more sitting in the cupboard waiting to be read!
    Originally posted by princesskitty29
    I read Christmas at the Cupcake Cafe a few years ago by Jenny Colgan for an easy festive read - sounds like it might be in a similar vein if you haven't already read it?

Well, aside from cranberry sauce (OOS) and roast potatoes (one thing I always make myself), our Xmas dinner is now tucked up in our freezer ready for the big day thanks to Cook! (www.cookfood.net) I am so relieved after being ill last year and standing in a queue with carrots and parsnips while breaking out simultaneously in sweats and shivers, that I don't need to go out in Dec to do that and with 15% I still consider it sort of . (Obv I'm not actually planning to be unwell again this year).

Realising I need to get a jiggle on writing cards (never actually got around to that) and need to finish off making something I started last year too Will aim to get both done by the end of Nov.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 9th Nov 18, 8:16 PM
    • 7,564 Posts
    • 51,964 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Matalan have 25% off Christmas Dining, Gifts and Decorations in store and online now - again I think its a bit naughty to do this when some people will have already bought things trying to be organised but seems common with stores these days.

https://www.matalan.co.uk/
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• mandco
    • By mandco 10th Nov 18, 8:16 AM
    • 724 Posts
    • 9,456 Thanks
    mandco
    Picked up some pressies in boots yesterday got dd the beauty hopper brush set that is 1/2 price this week and a couple of smaller gift sets on the 3 for 2 to hit the points spend total. Worked out better than I expected as had a 15% of xmas gifts when you buy 3 voucher but it took it off everything including the brush set and they also added the 350 point when you spend £35+ and double points I had on my account so ended up with nearly £17 in points back too

Picked on one of the ikea calendars so that is £10 worth of vouchers to spend in there later

Argos have 3 for 2 on selected toys

Do you think a more boy themed lego set would be ok for a girl or would you just get a general lego box?? I have been asked to get lego but I'm guessing that as that is what they have told everyone most people will buy the girly sets and there aren't that many that are within what I plan to spend anyway so rather then double up I'd like to get something different just not sure what to get?
    this year do something that scares you for courage is not the absence of fear just the knowledge that some things are worth the risk
    • StokieBecks
    • By StokieBecks 10th Nov 18, 8:31 AM
    • 4,624 Posts
    • 28,142 Thanks
    StokieBecks
    Mandco Wilko do their own version of lego called Blox. It is compatible with all the normal lego stuff too. Might be worth a look on the website as I have seen some nice sets on there for about £10-£15 (not sure what age you buying for).

https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/toys/wilko-blox/wilko-blox/c/1246
    • princesskitty29
    • By princesskitty29 10th Nov 18, 11:07 AM
    • 908 Posts
    • 12,305 Thanks
    princesskitty29
    kerri thanks for that suggestion, I have read that one but to be honest I donít often remember what happens in them so could easily read it again! I bet you feel relieved having Christmas dinner in the freezer, great idea!

mandco wow great result with your Boots shop! I donít see why a more boy themed lego set wouldnít work for a girl, itís lego after all. I used to love playing lego with my brother when I was little and I donít think I noticed!

Wiggleís school are doing a ĎChristmas shopí Ė so they stock up on gifts for males and females and if you want to your child can go and choose a gift for someone in the comfort of school. Iíve signed Wiggle up to get presents for both sets of Grandparents. I think they spend around £1.50 on the gifts and charge the children £3, so I know we can do it cheaper on our own but itís all funds for the school and I like the idea of him choosing something by himself without us there too. Iím intrigued to see what he chooses! Thatíll be some more gifts off the list too. Iíve been noticing lots of Christmas ads in the last few days, I saw the Kevin the Carrot advert the other day and thought it was the Coca Cola advert to start with as I had the volume down Ė not sure what Coca Cola will make of that!
    • alja
    • By alja 10th Nov 18, 9:50 PM
    • 790 Posts
    • 7,835 Thanks
    alja
    Thank you for the help regarding baby presents. I have since bought two little toys for OH's brother's baby girl (effectively my niece I guess..though we're not married haha)... We were round OH's mum's house and saw a wish list that the mother had put together and it had some bath toys on, so when I spotted some stacking pots and little boats by Carousel in Mr T (both for just £5.50) I picked those up. Will stick to clothes if I get her anything else though...

Reading about some of you writing cards has got me thinking... I should write these soon as we're off on holiday in under a month and will be away for a week or so.

Do you think we should deliver neighbours' cards in the first week of December, or the week before Christmas day when we're back? Decisions, decisions

We picked up some more pressies today too. OH has got some wine and chocolates for my parents and OH got his mum some lovely candles from the B00ts 3 for 2. I think I'll get her a candle (she loves them) and then make that the last thing I get her as I feel I'm going a little overboard with presents now... Trying to think of the best place to get a lovely but not too crazily expensive candle.
    • StokieBecks
    • By StokieBecks 10th Nov 18, 10:58 PM
    • 4,624 Posts
    • 28,142 Thanks
    StokieBecks
    Alja do you and your partner not just buy presents between you for both families? Put both your names on all presents and split the cost?

Not sure about your cards. Do whatever you feel is best. We tend to deliver cards to neighbours quite late on in December but if you prefer to do it before your holiday so it is out of the way then do that.

Aww princesskitty hope Wiggle chooses something nice. Never heard of that idea but sounds good and nice when the little ones pick something themselves
    • radioactivepig
    • By radioactivepig 10th Nov 18, 11:11 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    radioactivepig
    kerri gt Thanks for the Matalan heads up, a relative loves those big traditional nutcracker fellas but they were £18, was able to get her one for just over £11
    • alja
    • By alja 11th Nov 18, 12:27 AM
    • 790 Posts
    • 7,835 Thanks
    alja
    Alja do you and your partner not just buy presents between you for both families? Put both your names on all presents and split the cost?

Not sure about your cards. Do whatever you feel is best. We tend to deliver cards to neighbours quite late on in December but if you prefer to do it before your holiday so it is out of the way then do that.

Aww princesskitty hope Wiggle chooses something nice. Never heard of that idea but sounds good and nice when the little ones pick something themselves
    Originally posted by StokieBecks
    Not at the moment. We still do things separately. We still each go to our parentsí houses for Christmas and each do Christmas how each family always has. He moved into my flat with me just last year, so maybe in a few years time things will change, but being an only child and still in my 20s, I still like to go home and shower my parents with lots of presents and do Christmas as I always have. Itíll be strange when I have my own child/children, as Christmas will certainly change then!

As for the cards, I think Iíll start writing them and maybe deliver them when we get back. I might even start wrapping just a couple of presents too...
    • murie
    • By murie 11th Nov 18, 7:00 AM
    • 1,165 Posts
    • 9,804 Thanks
    murie
    Buy a gift
    Things are really taking off now we are getting closer- cant believe its only a few weeks til we start seeing Christmas trees appearing in peoples homes. I love walking The Hound in the dark at Christmas and seeing them all lit up and sparkly (Im nosey lol). I prefer the more vintage coloured fairy lights, I think sometimes the brighter versions of traditional colours are a little harsh- what does everyone else prefer?

M&S have their liqueurs on offer at £6 (egg nog, chocolate and coconut, mince pie and yule log flavours). We had a bottle of Yule log last year and it was lush so Im going to get to M&S at some point this week to stock up and put some away for presents.

All present are wrapped and tagged (no more partial unwrapping of gifts on christmas eve to see what it them cus I cant recognise them from the feel of them- my classic christmas eve blunder!).

Ive mithered about getting DD a dyson air wrap and finally decided I would on the day that they were released (she had the dyson hair dryer last year and we all use it!). Im glad because they seem to have sold out in most places with stock levels being uncertain.
    I was lucky enough to have my hair done during a demonstration the week before last, and I have to admit its blooming brilliant! My hair is shoulder length so i wasnt sure it would work for me but I was so chuffed! (Especially as we were on a Christmas shopping mooch prior to afternoon tea at The Ivy so i wanted to look swit swoo!). Im sure she will love it (plus I get to use it too-bonus!!)
    lovin' this site!
    • girlinayellowdress
    • By girlinayellowdress 11th Nov 18, 8:52 AM
    • 607 Posts
    • 9,259 Thanks
    girlinayellowdress
    Murie I was naughty and got the Air Wrap from B00ts and as it was a points deal I got eighty seven pounds worth of points too. Must admit although it sounds an indulgence I cut my own hair so justified it but money saved at the hairdressers (also my excuse for the dryer when they came out). It really is manageable to use. Your DD will love it. x
    • girlinayellowdress
    • By girlinayellowdress 12th Nov 18, 7:05 AM
    • 607 Posts
    • 9,259 Thanks
    girlinayellowdress
    The Sainsbugs Christmas ad is adorable. Also check the making of link as well, the children done well

The ad ...

https://youtu.be/tvXBbsRU83Q

The making of ...

https://youtu.be/F0XGgKStoVw
    • murie
    • By murie 12th Nov 18, 8:41 AM
    • 1,165 Posts
    • 9,804 Thanks
    murie
    The Sainsbugs Christmas ad is adorable. Also check the making of link as well, the children done well

The ad ...

https://youtu.be/tvXBbsRU83Q

The making of ...

https://youtu.be/F0XGgKStoVw
    Originally posted by girlinayellowdress
    They are adorable and that little girl has a lovely voice.
    lovin' this site!
    • Gettingtherequickly
    • By Gettingtherequickly 12th Nov 18, 12:12 PM
    • 3,811 Posts
    • 16,830 Thanks
    Gettingtherequickly
    I'm full of lurgy & no motivation, so yesterday decided that I would watch a film, my first this year, & wrap, felt much better after that! Really busy this week & next (I have managed, bad planning, to have 6 theatre trips booked in less than 2 weeks, friend gets school rates, so would be stupid not to avail of the opportunity, but think I need my head testing!), so everything going on hold temporarily. Added to being really busy at work, I am kissing good bye to the rest of November
    A smile costs little but creates much
    • nic2075
    • By nic2075 12th Nov 18, 5:11 PM
    • 2,782 Posts
    • 17,601 Thanks
    nic2075
    Evening. I had meant to reply and answer someone's question. But I e checked back and cat find what it was I was going to reply too.lol

I have a Christmas decoration up my ex inlaws gave me a 4 ft fibre optic Santa. I had always loved seeing him at her house. She has decided he is too big for her new house, so she gave it to me. He is sitting in the hall. It seems silly to put him away. He's also lit up as he looks sad in the dark

I picked up some earrings and a unicorn bag for my youngest dd at Claires. They had a sale and got them both for £12. The earrings have 12 in the pack. I also ordered ds's xbox. I had waited and waited to see if the price changed. He is putting £100 towards it from all his saved birthday money. They usually just have £100 max spent on them.
    Still struggling with what to get for the girls as a main presen. Neither have asked for anything, it's all small things. Make up and clothes for dd(13) and everything unicorn for dd(7).
    • nic2075
    • By nic2075 12th Nov 18, 5:16 PM
    • 2,782 Posts
    • 17,601 Thanks
    nic2075
    I remembered what it was. I wanted to reply to Murie and say that I also love traditional Christmas lights over led. Ones. Although I do have some led ones for my stairs, I only every have older styles ones on my trees. I feel they are warmer and feel more Christmassy. Maybe it's just me harking back to my childhood Christmases.
    • mandco
    • By mandco 12th Nov 18, 6:16 PM
    • 724 Posts
    • 9,456 Thanks
    mandco
    murie I prefer the older more subtle lights too they seems more cosy and remind me of xmasses past but you never really see them now. the new led style ones can be really bright and pretty but sometimes seem a little harsh?

GTQ hope your feeling better soon. Wow 6 shows in 2 weeks sounds fun though what are you seeing anything good?

Nic nice of them to send santa your way

Did my double up today and got ds the game he's asked for also had enough points to get another £10 off so put that towards a lego set managed to get a much bigger set than planned and was still within budget as it was on sale too

ordered a few sanctury gift sets from boots - nice token gift at £4
    https://www.boots.com/sanctuary-explore-and-let-go-gift-10219374

really liked the sainsburys ad its one of the better ones I've seen so far
    this year do something that scares you for courage is not the absence of fear just the knowledge that some things are worth the risk
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

340Posts Today

3,679Users online

Martin's Twitter