Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 9th Jun 15, 7:25 AM
    • 7,739Posts
    • 12,317Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Green, ethical, energy issues in the news (last 2 weeks)
    • 9th Jun 15, 7:25 AM
    Green, ethical, energy issues in the news (last 2 weeks) 9th Jun 15 at 7:25 AM
    MSE Insert:

We've seen some debate on this thread about the relevance of some posts to the topic.

To ensure the thread remains on topic for forumites wanting to discuss the latest news we're asking that all posts contain a link to the news you're discussing.

For the purposes of this thread the "news" needs to be within the last two weeks.

Back to Martyn1981's original post.

---

I thought it might be a good idea to have a thread for posting general news items that may be of interest.

PV and the 'Solar in the news' thread attract a lot of interest, so here's a thread for all the other goings on.

Mart.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 09-10-2018 at 10:41 AM.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
Page 83
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 24th Oct 18, 7:00 PM
    • 7,739 Posts
    • 12,317 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Tough one this, Swansea Council want to proceed with the tidal lagoon, great. But they now need private investors outside of any government subsidy scheme, not so great.

My understanding here is that the Swansea lagoon would produce leccy at a pretty high cost, up there with HPC, but, if it proves the consept, then much larger schemes such as the Cardiff lagoon (10x the generation) would generate at about half the cost.

So Swansea is really important, but really just to get the industry going, a bit like the early high PV rates, to prove the technology but to encourage a larger rollout at a lower cost.

I wonder if crowdfunding has ever gotten close to £1.3bn?

Swansea Council decides to build Swansea Bay tidal lagoon

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
    • pile-o-stone
    • By pile-o-stone 25th Oct 18, 9:43 AM
    • 91 Posts
    • 108 Thanks
    pile-o-stone
    Tough one this, Swansea Council want to proceed with the tidal lagoon, great. But they now need private investors outside of any government subsidy scheme, not so great.

My understanding here is that the Swansea lagoon would produce leccy at a pretty high cost, up there with HPC, but, if it proves the consept, then much larger schemes such as the Cardiff lagoon (10x the generation) would generate at about half the cost.

So Swansea is really important, but really just to get the industry going, a bit like the early high PV rates, to prove the technology but to encourage a larger rollout at a lower cost.

Originally posted by Martyn1981
    I think they don't make enough of the additional infrastructure, such as the walkway/cycleway around the lagoon that will enhance tourism and improve the local area. I'd love somewhere like that to go on a morning run or cycle.

Are they able to utilise the lagoon for watersports such as windsurfing, kayaking, etc. or will the pull through the generators be too dangerous? If they can use the lagoon then that just adds to the tourist attraction, if they can't then perhaps they could fit floating PV like this:

https://www.solarpowerportal.co.uk/news/united_utilities_doubles_down_on_floating_pv_with_ second_reservoir_install

They would already have the power cabling fitted for the tidal generation, plus the pv panels are more efficient when they are cooler, which they would be if they're surrounded by water.
    5.18 kWp PV systems (3.68 E/W & 1.5 E).
    Solar iBoost+ to two immersion heaters on 300L thermal store.
    • Exiled Tyke
    • By Exiled Tyke 25th Oct 18, 10:13 AM
    • 304 Posts
    • 892 Thanks
    Exiled Tyke
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45881551

It all get's very political, sadly. We really should be making huge leaps in progress on this stuff now.
    Install 28th Nov 15, 3.3kW, (11x300LG), SolarEdge, SW. W Yorks.
    • zeupater
    • By zeupater 25th Oct 18, 1:26 PM
    • 4,414 Posts
    • 5,883 Thanks
    zeupater

Hi

There's always the possibility that without a lucrative government honey-pot for designers, contractors & suppliers to dip their fingers into, the anticipated project costs will fall dramatically ...

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    • zeupater
    • By zeupater 25th Oct 18, 1:53 PM
    • 4,414 Posts
    • 5,883 Thanks
    zeupater

It all get's very political, sadly. We really should be making huge leaps in progress on this stuff now.
    Originally posted by Exiled Tyke
    Hi

I don't really follow what the BBC fact-checkers are trying to say there ... for example, offshore wind development costs have fallen dramatically since the 2016 report they reference and the later 'more recent study' report from this year is of little relevance as it doesn't support the BEIS report at all - add to this the removal of the EU's MIP on PV panels and the associated effect on large-scale solar & everything changes ...

Really just shows how ineffective the BBC fact-checkers can be if they have no understanding of the subject they're looking into .... Caroline Lucas also has a different battle to fight, not with the Government or the BBC, but with the NIMBY 'Greens' that habitually oppose on-shore wind developments on a 'loss of amenity' basis ... I'd suggest she would be more effective at delivering by concentrating the majority of her effort into changing lobby & protest group opinion through convincing them to consider the whole 2000 piece jigsaw picture, not just the tiny fragment they hold ...

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 25th Oct 18, 1:59 PM
    • 7,739 Posts
    • 12,317 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    I think they don't make enough of the additional infrastructure, such as the walkway/cycleway around the lagoon that will enhance tourism and improve the local area. I'd love somewhere like that to go on a morning run or cycle.

Are they able to utilise the lagoon for watersports such as windsurfing, kayaking, etc. or will the pull through the generators be too dangerous? If they can use the lagoon then that just adds to the tourist attraction, if they can't then perhaps they could fit floating PV like this:

https://www.solarpowerportal.co.uk/news/united_utilities_doubles_down_on_floating_pv_with_ second_reservoir_install

They would already have the power cabling fitted for the tidal generation, plus the pv panels are more efficient when they are cooler, which they would be if they're surrounded by water.
    Originally posted by pile-o-stone
    Yes, it's worth pointing out that Swansea and Cardiff built barrages almost entirely for aesthetic purposes. The Cardiff one is great to visit with a strong tourism angle.

No idea if a tidal lagoon could be used for water sports. They would go from empty to full or full to empty in 3.5hrs, with a 2hr slacktide in the middle, so 9hrs of water from little to large and back to little. Perhaps too dangerous .... I've honestly no idea.

Discussions about the Cardiff lagoon suggested that the barrage wouldn't be open to the public, other than say during a marathon or sporting event. The wall would almost be a half marathon in length, so I suppose you could have issues getting ill people off, or evacuating if a big storm blew in all of a sudden ...... again, making this up as I go along.

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 25th Oct 18, 2:06 PM
    • 7,739 Posts
    • 12,317 Thanks
    Martyn1981

Originally posted by Exiled Tyke
    That generation graph is a bit odd, it shows RE at about 1/2 the generation of nuclear, but RE caught nuclear in 2016, and passed it in 2017, and is way ahead this year nearly 30% v's 20%.

Also a shame that it starts in 2012, as gas generation appears to have risen to displace coal, whereas it was at those levels in the late naughties and dipped down a bit when coal went up, but the sum of coal and gas has dropped roughly by the same amount as RE has grown.

• ed110220
    • By ed110220 25th Oct 18, 8:40 PM
    • 1,062 Posts
    • 558 Thanks
    ed110220
    That generation graph is a bit odd, it shows RE at about 1/2 the generation of nuclear, but RE caught nuclear in 2016, and passed it in 2017, and is way ahead this year nearly 30% v's 20%.

Also a shame that it starts in 2012, as gas generation appears to have risen to displace coal, whereas it was at those levels in the late naughties and dipped down a bit when coal went up, but the sum of coal and gas has dropped roughly by the same amount as RE has grown.
    The graph they publish doesn't even bear any relation to the figures they quote in the article: "The total electricity generation in the UK stood at 336 terawatt-hours (TWh) in 2017, with 29.3% generated by renewable sources of energy."

29.3% of 336 TWh is 98.4 TWh, but the graph below shows about 35 TWh.

Ofgem has quarterly stats up to Q1 2018.

Totaling up the last 4 available quarters gives 64.9 TWh (19.4 %) from wind + solar, 3.4 TWh (1.6%) from hydro and 25.9 TWh (7.7%) from biofuels. If we total them up we get 96.22 TWh (28.8%)

That compares with nuclear at 63 TWh (18.9 %)
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 26th Oct 18, 6:45 PM
    • 7,739 Posts
    • 12,317 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    A funny thing happened to me on the way to ...........

I'm posting this article simply because I read the title and thought meh! and went to move on. Then it hit me that 355GW's of RE (over 5yrs) is no longer a blow my mind headline - I think that in itself is good news?

Asia Pacific To See 355 Gigawatts Of Solar & Offshore Wind Boom In Next 5 Years

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 30th Oct 18, 4:40 PM
    • 7,739 Posts
    • 12,317 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Heard the one about RE generation being unreliable?

Belgium faces winter blackouts amid nuclear reactor shutdowns

A forced shutdown of one nuclear reactor in the lead up to winter may be regarded as unfortunate. But the closure of six of the seven reactors responsible for supplying 40% of Belgium’s electricity is raising eyebrows, even in a country so prone to chaotic administration.

I know that all forms of generation have their pluses and minuses, but faults with nuclear reactors can mean the loss of GW's of generation all at the same time. Is it naughty to point out that the EPR design for HPC is the one being built by EDF in Flamanville that has a faulty reactor lid which will need replacing? And it hasn't even started generating yet!

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 31st Oct 18, 8:41 AM
    • 7,739 Posts
    • 12,317 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Excellent news with RE in some parts of the world closing in on existing coal generation costs (where the cost of the plant may now be fully amortized) so only reflects running costs, fuel etc.. This is important as it not only means RE replacing new FF generation, so a future win, but could mean RE displacing generation from existing FF powerplants, and thereby reducing existing carbon emissions from existing demand.

New Renewables Cheaper Than Old Coal In Southeast Asia

And some positive news for UK floating off-shore wind.

UK Floating Wind Could Support 17,000 Jobs & Generate £33.6 Billion In Value By 2050

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 1st Nov 18, 12:38 PM
    • 7,739 Posts
    • 12,317 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Whilst not good news for Aussie coal mining, and the export industry, this article is very promising illustrating the speed at which RE is competing against coal generation, or to be clearer, competing against plans for new coal generation.

Coal report says Australian exports have peaked and are in 'terminal long-term decline'

The report said export volumes from the port of Newcastle, the world’s largest coal export harbour, peaked in 2016 and have begun a permanent decline. The conclusion is based on long-term trade forecasts for thermal coal and an analysis of Asian energy markets, where investment in coal-fired power is slowing.
    “Imported thermal coal is now entirely uncompetitive, and possible new markets such as India and Vietnam are pursuing cheaper, more sustainable renewable energy options,” said Buckley, the institute’s director of energy finance studies.

Buckley said renewables were now about half the cost of imported coal in India.

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 2nd Nov 18, 12:32 PM
    • 7,739 Posts
    • 12,317 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    A short but interesting theoretical look at 2050 leccy prices, plus demand and supply.

[The assumption is that demand will rise 2/3rds with a shift to EV's and heat pumps, which is very similar to other such estimates I have seen that average demand will rise from 40GW to 72GW.]

Summers could be entirely powered by clean energy by 2050

One thought that occurred to me, based on this assumption:

But because of higher demand and lower solar output in winter, gas power plants would still be needed to fill in the gaps between November and February.

Their owners would need an additional payment during winter for being ready to provide backup power when needed, to make the economics work.
    is that if payments are being made to gas to stand by anyway, then instead, we may see those payments going as curtailment to RE, since overcapacity of ever cheaper RE, and the reduction in CO2 emissions from further reducing gas generation, may be a cheaper option.

Doubt we'll be able to predict the actual choice till we know what price and level of deployment short term battery storage ends up at, and also what amount of longer term storage we settle on, such as hydrogen, or LAES etc etc.

• michaels
    • By michaels 2nd Nov 18, 1:35 PM
    • 21,597 Posts
    • 100,327 Thanks
    michaels
    A short but interesting theoretical look at 2050 leccy prices, plus demand and supply.

[The assumption is that demand will rise 2/3rds with a shift to EV's and heat pumps, which is very similar to other such estimates I have seen that average demand will rise from 40GW to 72GW.]

Summers could be entirely powered by clean energy by 2050

One thought that occurred to me, based on this assumption:

is that if payments are being made to gas to stand by anyway, then instead, we may see those payments going as curtailment to RE, since overcapacity of ever cheaper RE, and the reduction in CO2 emissions from further reducing gas generation, may be a cheaper option.

Doubt we'll be able to predict the actual choice till we know what price and level of deployment short term battery storage ends up at, and also what amount of longer term storage we settle on, such as hydrogen, or LAES etc etc.
    I agree - just because there is a need for thermal turbines in winter doesn't mean they can't be burning fuel manufactured using excess capacity during sunny/windy periods rather than dino farts....
    Cool heads and compromise
    • NigeWick
    • By NigeWick 3rd Nov 18, 11:34 AM
    • 2,952 Posts
    • 1,264 Thanks
    NigeWick
    we may see those payments going as curtailment to RE, since overcapacity of ever cheaper RE, and the reduction in CO2 emissions from further reducing gas generation, may be a cheaper option.
    I like to believe that we'll have more than enough wind and battery capacity powering heat pumps for winters by 2050.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 5th Nov 18, 2:48 PM
    • 7,739 Posts
    • 12,317 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    From coal to pellets, made from waste material.

Atlantis to convert Uskmouth coal-fired power station in Wales

SIMEC Atlantis Energy has revealed plans to convert its Uskmouth Power Station in Wales, UK, from coal-fired to energy pellets.

Using energy pellets that are produced from non-recyclable waste destined for landfill, the power station is expected to generate and export 220MW of baseload power to the grid.

The energy pellets will be produced using technology developed by a joint venture (JV) between N+P Group (N+P) and SIMEC Energy called SIMEC Subcoal Fuels (SSF). Development will take place on land adjacent to the Uskmouth Power Station.

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 7th Nov 18, 1:53 PM
    • 7,739 Posts
    • 12,317 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    This headline is capacity not generation, but regardless it's a very nice milestone to have reached:

UK renewable energy capacity surpasses fossil fuels for first time

• silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 8th Nov 18, 2:53 PM
    • 2,181 Posts
    • 3,088 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    Not exactly green energy, but today's news regarding nuclear does suggest we should be putting more effort into renewables, given how scaleable they are:
    https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/nov/08/toshiba-uk-nuclear-power-plant-project-nu-gen-cumbria
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 8th Nov 18, 6:18 PM
    • 7,739 Posts
    • 12,317 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    This news is so startling that I'm sure it can't be right ..... can it?

Indiana Utility Says Replacing Coal With Renewables Will Save Customers $4 Billion

In fact, the analysis that went into creating the IRP shows the plan will save NIPSCO customers more than $4 billion over the next 30 years. The plan will see the role of coal decrease from 65% today to 15% in 2023 before reaching zero in 2028. The company owns and operates the 1900 MW Schahfer coal generating station located in Wheatfield, Indiana. Schahfer is one of the dirtiest facilities in the US, spewing out more than 8 million tons of carbon dioxide a year. Its newest units were built in the 1980s.
    Coal - 65% to zero in 10 years - this is not Trump's week!

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 8th Nov 18, 6:54 PM
    • 7,739 Posts
    • 12,317 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Not exactly green energy, but today's news regarding nuclear does suggest we should be putting more effort into renewables, given how scaleable they are:
    https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/nov/08/toshiba-uk-nuclear-power-plant-project-nu-gen-cumbria
    Originally posted by silverwhistle
    Here's a later article. In a strange way the collapse of the nuclear industry could be great news and act as a catalyst to end any dithering and just get on with RE - faster and cheaper and getting faster and cheaper too.
    Last edited by Martyn1981; 09-11-2018 at 7:26 AM. Reason: poor spelling

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

270Posts Today

1,804Users online

Martin's Twitter