Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 209
    • HelpwithRyanair
    • By HelpwithRyanair 6th Nov 18, 10:34 AM
    • 26 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    HelpwithRyanair
    What I want to know is how and why so many students get away with paying their student loans?

Eu students who came to the UK to study joked how they'd not have to pay their loans and a few of my friends moved to countries like the USA and Germany and now just ignore their student loans and have no intention of paying.

Why doesn't the government enforce the loans and why is it so easy for people to simply ignore their loans?
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 6th Nov 18, 6:13 PM
    • 5,453 Posts
    • 4,098 Thanks
    sheramber
    The Government sold off the loans to private companies so it is up to them to pursue payment.

The Government have no interest in the repayments.
    • Cortiz
    • By Cortiz 6th Nov 18, 7:33 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Cortiz
    They are being enforced - I received an email collections agency notice last week, even though I'm under the income threshold. I have to fill out forms and send documentary evidence to prove it.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 7th Nov 18, 9:51 AM
    • 5,453 Posts
    • 4,098 Thanks
    sheramber
    If a person moves abroad and does not leave a forwarding address how do the Student Loan Company get in touch with them?

That is how they avoid payment.
    • HelpwithRyanair
    • By HelpwithRyanair 7th Nov 18, 1:06 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    HelpwithRyanair
    If a person moves abroad and does not leave a forwarding address how do the Student Loan Company get in touch with them?

Originally posted by sheramber
    That seems far too easy...

If they have UK assets can't they be seized?
    • jocrow
    • By jocrow 7th Nov 18, 1:32 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jocrow
    Hi there, not sure if you could help me but I have just received a letter from Dryden on behalf of Erudio with a claim to be settled in northampton County court. I have not received any deferment forms from Erudio and only one letter a while ago telling me they were taking over my loan. I asked for deferment forms and did not receive any. I am not sure how to proceed with my response to the claim. I cannot afford to pay back my loan, but I do not want to start paying off a claim as I am 50 in 2 years and my student loan will be discarded then...
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 7th Nov 18, 2:13 PM
    • 39,181 Posts
    • 36,094 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue

Originally posted by sheramber
    That seems far too easy...

If they have UK assets can't they be seized?
    Originally posted by HelpwithRyanair
    When you apply for a student loan, you have to give a name and address of someone through whom you can be contacted. So if any of my sons default, I anticipate hearing direct from whoever's in charge of their loans at the time.

So you're right, it's not that easy.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats, 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself, multiple poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: ready to decrease / decreasing on all parts of the mohair cardigan pattern!
    • HelpwithRyanair
    • By HelpwithRyanair 7th Nov 18, 2:21 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    HelpwithRyanair
    When you apply for a student loan, you have to give a name and address of someone through whom you can be contacted. So if any of my sons default, I anticipate hearing direct from whoever's in charge of their loans at the time.

So you're right, it's not that easy.
    Originally posted by Savvy_Sue
    That's terrible so you're responsible for his debt? :O
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 7th Nov 18, 2:57 PM
    • 38,137 Posts
    • 160,362 Thanks
    silvercar
    Contact not guarantor. Parents are not responsible for their offspring’s loans.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 7th Nov 18, 2:58 PM
    • 39,181 Posts
    • 36,094 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    Well, I don't know that I'm responsible, personally I'd make sure that they were aware of any communications, and also make it clear that I was not picking up the debt, and that I would on request pass on THEIR details.

THAT is my responsibility.

As it happens, one of them is itinerant and rarely in the UK, but he does UK tax returns and makes SL payments as part of that.

Another is about to leave the UK and hasn't had to pay anything until now (AFAIK), and again, I will make sure he knows that he needs to pass his details on to the loans company, because if he doesn't, I will! he doesn't have a job (yet) so probably won't have to pay until he does.

And the other recently had to engage with SLC because the last tax year's worth of contributions - which had been deducted from his salary - had not found their way onto his annual statement. He's resolved that now, but if that's not a lesson to check your statements and keep in touch with SLC I'm not sure what is ...
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats, 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself, multiple poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: ready to decrease / decreasing on all parts of the mohair cardigan pattern!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,263Posts Today

7,235Users online

Martin's Twitter