How long to wait for my leaving date?

Options
Hi guys, I handed my notice in at work last Thursday and requested a one month notice period (my contract says three), what's a reasonable amount of time for them to come back to me on this?

They're trying to keep me and want me in London next week to make an offer even though I told them my mind is made up and I can't help but think they're delaying things. Thing is, my new in employer is chasing for me to confirm my start date.

I chased them up yesterday and they said it was 'being worked on' but it can't be that hard just to agree a date they're happy for me to leave?

Comments

• Scorpio33
    Options
    Depends on your role and how quickly they can replace you. If they want to keep you, it is unlikely they will let you go early.

If your contract states 3 months, expect 3 months. The contract states 3 months as that is what they feel they need to replace you usually.

If the new employer asks, tell them definitely in 3 months, but you are pushing for an earlier date.

You can't promise an earlier date and your current employees may well hold you to the contractual obligation.
  • Timberflake1983
    Options
    I understand that bit it wasn't my question. My question is how long is reasonable for them to come back with a response on whether they're happy for me to leave early? It's been a week tomorrow since I handed my notice and request in and I just want to know where I stand
  • marliepanda
    Options
    I understand that bit it wasn't my question. My question is how long is reasonable for them to come back with a response on whether they're happy for me to leave early? It's been a week tomorrow since I handed my notice and request in and I just want to know where I stand

There is no reasonable really. We couldnt possibly comment on the reasonable time it is for them to assess what needs doing within that three months, if they have the staff, if theyd need cover, whether they can do it in your absence etc.

They need to see if your needs fit in with their business needs, and they have from 1 day to 3 months (as contracted) to decide.
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Given you want them to do you a favour, it's probably a good idea not to be too moralistic about what is, and isn't, "reasonable".

Why didn't you tell your new employer that you had a 3 month notice period?
  • Timberflake1983
    Options
    I did tell them I had 3 months but they wanted me in sooner which is c'mon in my experience. I requested one month but thought 2 months would be reasonable.
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ok, well, it's common/reasonable for a new employer to want you to start as soon as possible. And it's not uncommon/unreasonable for you to ask if you can leave the old place earlier than contracted, in the hope of an amicable agreement which suits all parties.

What is unreasonable is for your new employer to expect you can start earlier than your notice period, or for you to expect that your old employer should let you off your contractual notice period.

I'd give it until the end of next week and if you've not heard anything, or managed to sort anything out, simply say to your new employer that you've done your best, but the old place are holding you to your contract and there's nothing more you can do.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    When I was in a similar position my employer initially refused point blank to shorten the notice period because it was going to take time to get a replacement in. If your role needs 3 months notice, it's not unreasonable to suspect that your potential replacement will have to give the same amount.
    I certainly think you are being extremely unrealistic if you think they should give you an answer within a week. Until and unless you hear to the contrary you should assume a 3 month notice period and work to that timescale.
    In the end my employer agreed to 6 week rather than 2 month notice in my case.
  • Takeaway_Addict
    Options
    3 months is reasonable...
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • AylesburyDuck
    Options
    Your not being reasonable with wanting a one month notice so really they dont have to be reasonable giving you a timescale now do they.
    Push for it and they will probably turn round and expect you to work the full 3 months.
    Fully paid up member of the ignore button club.
    If it walks like a Duck, quacks like a Duck, it's a Duck.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    What evidence or proposal went along with this early release request that showed the business would not suffer?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure