Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • moto007
    • By moto007 11th Sep 17, 9:02 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Loan and best course of action
    • #1
    • 11th Sep 17, 9:02 PM
    Loan and best course of action 11th Sep 17 at 9:02 PM
    Hello Expert,

    Currently I am living off of government benefit because of disability to work due to my medical condition. Currently I am recovering and benefits in helping me to meet my day to day need.
    Before my surgery I had some load (under 20,000) and I enrolled in to token plan with step change. Now I got letter from step change they cannot support the token plan as
    its more than 2 years,so now either I have to declare bankruptcy or dept management plan. Since my surplus is more than 49 pound step change ask me to enroll in to dept management plan.
    How can i go paying off the dept with bare minimum money that I get from benefit. What would be the right move in this case? Please expert suggest me in this scenario.
Page 1
    • debt doctor
    • By debt doctor 13th Sep 17, 7:25 PM
    • 4,288 Posts
    • 5,964 Thanks
    debt doctor
    • #2
    • 13th Sep 17, 7:25 PM
    • #2
    • 13th Sep 17, 7:25 PM
    This is the second very strange thing I've seen from Step Change tonight. There is absolutely no reason why you can't carry on making token offers of 1 per month, 2 years has nothing to do with anything. You could just make the 1 payments yourself - without Step Change.

    You may be eligible for a DRO (you may not truly have a surplus of over 49). Put up your SOA on here so we can look at your income and expenses to advise you further.
    Debt Doctor, Debt caseworker, Citizens' Advice Bureau .
    Impartial debt advice services: Citizens Advice Bureau Find your local CAB *** National Debtline - Tel: 0808 808 4000*** BSC No. 100 ***
    • moto007
    • By moto007 14th Sep 17, 1:40 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    • #3
    • 14th Sep 17, 1:40 AM
    • #3
    • 14th Sep 17, 1:40 AM
    Thank you for your reply. How do I setup the payment to creditor by my self? I was in the assumption some mediator have to present to deal with creditor. May be step change is the only mediator I know.
    So based on your above suggestion can I just do the direct deposit to my creditor until I am able.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

141Posts Today

2,008Users online

Martin's Twitter