Cutting ties with a sibling

Comments

• michelefauk
    michelefauk Posts: 448 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have very little to do with my brother. He is 2 years older than me (51) and constantly scrounging off my parents, turning up asking for money for various things, my dad is in the process of buying him new van for his business. He is self employed (probably pays no tax!) he lives rent free with his girlfriend (is not officially on any records so pays no council tax, utilities etc) so why my parents feel the need to constantly help him, I don't really understand. I work hard, bring up my daughter on my own (my partner died 2 years ago) and never ask them for anything and feel very angry that he is such a drain on them, financially and emotionally.

Things came to a head a couple of years ago at my late partner's funeral, my brother turned up unannounced, drunk, scruffy, loud, and proceeded to force his way into the front row of the crematorium to squash in beside me and make a big show of crying loudly and being ridiculously over the top (he barely knew my partner!) At the end of the funeral, he draped himself over the coffin again crying loudly, and had to told to move by my late partner's mum. Everyone was staring at him in disgust. I will never forgive him.
    If you say anything to my parents about his behaviour, they just say "Oh you know what he's like!"

If I bump into him at my parents, I usually am icily polite then leave very quickly. My parents normally forewarn me if he is going to be at any family events, so I can prepare myself or not go.
    I could go on and on, he really is not a nice person at all and I have no time for people like that in my life.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,651 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Blood really isn't thicker than water.
    If a friend was rude to you, on the verge of physical violence to you would you continue the friendship?

He's a grown man, in the position he is in through his own decisions.
    Why would he need looking out for?

I'd be straight with your Mother and say he's on his own after she dies.
    In fact, I'd be making moves to cut contact with him starting now

(From someone who has cut a sibling out of her life and feels it was one of the best decisions I ever made)
  • paddy's_mum
    paddy's_mum Posts: 3,977 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Your mother is forgetting one vital thing here...and it's all the out you need.

YOU are not his mother and therefore the buck stops with him!

As an added thought - don't be surprised if she leaves all or most of her estate to him in her will. A woman who is :-

1.effectively enabling him

2.putting enormous pressure on you to continue to mollycoddle him

3.thinks so little of you that she 'shouts' down your refusal/protest

4. conceals the reality (instead of urging him to seek help)

is not going to change her behaviour just because a little thing like death intervenes.

My mother, sisters and I cut a relative out of our lives twenty years ago and the only feeling all of us had, and still have, is relief that our lives are now peaceful without that malignancy in them.

You are not in the wrong here and your mother should realise that she is asking far too much. Good luck.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,199 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Can you come up with a form of words which would make your mum happy but not actually bind you to anything?

"I'll do my best for him" for instance - you may decide that what is best for him is that he has to stand on his own two feet, so that best thing you can do for him is refuse any kind of financial support!

Or "He'll always be my brother" - it's factually true, and your interpretation of what the fact that he will always be your brother means to you, is up to you.

Or even "If he wants a relationship with me, I'll be there for him. But I could not bring myself to enable his drug and alcohol abuse - quite apart from anything else, I wouldn't want to have it on my conscience that I'd helped him harm himself through supporting his addictions"

Also - I don't think that you have any moral obligation to keep a promise which is made under duress, so if your mum does succeed in pressuring you into to giving the kind of promise that she wants,remind yourself that the purpose of the promise was to give comfort to your mum, who you o care about, and you are still free to decide for yourself what, if any, support or relationship you have with your brother after she is gone.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • AndyBSG
    AndyBSG Posts: 986 Forumite
    I have cut off relations with my sister and although I do sometimes wonder if I made the right decision these moments are only fleeting.

I gave her plenty of chances but it soon became apparent she was never going to change. In the end I cut tied when I started a family of my own.

My sisters life style has seen her serve time in prison for assault, lose custody of her children and she is generally a drain on society never having worked in her life.

I try my hardest to bring my kids up as hard working, respectful individuals so accepting or condoning that behaviour in any way would impact on that as well as the disruptive influence she would have.

My only real regret is that I have no relationship with my nieces or nephews

As others have said, any regret, guilt or feeling of loss would soon be outweighed by the other negatives that keeping that person in your life would bring.
  • It would obviously be upsettting for your mum to hear anything as drastic as "I will be cutting him out of my life when you die".

I would therefore reassure her that you will stay in touch with your brother, but are quite definitely not providing financial assistance until he makes clear lifestyle changes.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    I think you also need to make it clear to your mother that you are on your own too and have nobody, andnot even a partner or boyfriend to help and support you, financially or emotionally, if you fall on difficult times after she has gone.

Perhaps you need to ask her if she expects you to support your brother's bad financial habits while ending up yourself in a position where you could be out on the streets because you can,t pay your own bills.

Your mother obviously brought you both up in the same way. Ask her why she thinks you should punish yourself for following the rules she taught you while your brother is allowed to flaunt them and yet still expect to be supported financially and bailed out. I think your mother will find this a hard question to answer but it's one she has to confront.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,651 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    It would obviously be upsettting for your mum to hear anything as drastic as "I will be cutting him out of my life when you die".

Why shouldn't the OP say this?

The OP's Mum is trying to coerce her into agreeing to look out for him - why should the OP be put under this unwanted pressure? Be made to feel guilty for saying 'no'.

It's how she feels anyway - she says she couldn't care less about him.

It might give the OP's Mum pause about her own enabling behaviour towards this man.

I would therefore reassure her that you will stay in touch with your brother, but are quite definitely not providing financial assistance until he makes clear lifestyle changes.
    Personally, I'd rather be blunt and tell my Mum the truth than lie to her face and do the opposite when she's not here anymore.
  • ska_lover
    ska_lover Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Argh families.

Yes we have similar in our family.

My lot are just crazy
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
  • paddy's_mum
    paddy's_mum Posts: 3,977 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Primrose wrote: »
    Ask her why she thinks [STRIKE]you[/STRIKE] she should punish [STRIKE]yourself[/STRIKE] you

I've corrected this for you, Primrose :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure