PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

General Pizza tips & Quick Questions

Options

Comments

• larmy16
    larmy16 Posts: 4,324 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    OK made the pizza dough. Waiting to roll it out. Do you pre cook the base or not? If not how long approx do you cook the pizza to ensure the dough is cooked through?

I plan to make a pepperoni with cheese and herbs, so would appreciate someone to answer me asap.

Many thanks :)
    Grocery Challenge £139/240 until 31/01
    Taking part in Sealed Pot No.819/2011
    Only essentials on Ebay/Amazon

• fairylights_2
    Options
    If it's a proper dough, then I don't - I just whack the topping on and shove it in the oven. I used to make pizza dough a different way and that way you had to prebake else it would go all soggy in the middle. We cook our pizza for about 25 mins.

No pizza here tonight - it was so lovely at the beach we were home too late, so chinese with the leftover chicken from the weekend tonight, and pizza on Thursday instead.

Bon appetit!
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 002 :rotfl:
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Put the sauce and all your bits on and your cheese and then cook it in a pre heated oven at 190C 375F Gas mark 5 for twenty minutes.

No pre cooking - just whack it in :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Kippsy
    Kippsy Posts: 259 Forumite
    Options
    Are you cooking the pizza on the oven shelf or on a tray or PIzza stone?

If it is on the oven shelf be careful not to overdo the topping, done this before and most of the topping ended up on the floor of the oven! Now I have a pizza stone, which I would recommend!

Anyway, depends how crunchy you want the base to be I find for a fairly large pizza that is thinish (not really a thin and crispy fan) about 7mins in an oven as hot as it will go! Once your cheese and topping are all melted and bubbling that shoud do it. The dough will probably look white still and if you want it crispy then let the crust brown a little.

mmmmm pizza! might have a chicken one for tea... never the same though without cheese...
    oooh look only about 220 posts and I got round to doing my Avatar already!!
  • larmy16
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Oh no, I should have asked this one before. If you put the pizza straight onto an oven shelf, will it not all droop down the sides? Sorry if this sounds utterly dense!:)

• Kippsy
    Options
    mine used to a little but I found it gives a bettert base than putting it on a tray (unless you have a pizza stone) but the real killer can be too much topping... although a pixxa with a big hole in the middle did look hilarious!! It wasn't as filling!
  • larmy16
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Kipps thanks for that. I am quite new to all this as you can tell. Well the pizza base was very stretchy and sticky, so had to flour it. I got it onto a baking sheet and I think Ill cook it on there until it has gone a bit more solid, then put on the oven shelf.

Incidentally, I read somewhere that an unglazed terracotta tile (large) makes a very good pizza stone. It must be uglazed though which makes sense.

• Kippsy
    Options
    I don't see why not! All you do with the pizza stone is put it in the oven to get hot and then put your base on and cover with toppings as you please.

Also when you wash the pizza stone do not use soap! I love my pizza stone! I think is was about £12 from Cucina direct... can't wait now for pizza dough but might make some tomorrow!

Also I don't use a bread maker for the dough, making the dough iwth your hands is threapeutic! Te best bit is when the dough goes suddenly from being all floury and messy to silky smoothness...

might just go and make dough for the hell of it! better go save my washing from the big black cloud first!
  • Zziggi
    Zziggi Posts: 2,485 Forumite
    Options
    along the pizza type thread.... if i made 2 pizza bases, rolled them out and put toppings on them and i only wanted one for tea, could i freeze one raw or would i cook it and then freeze it and just whack it in the microwave out of the freezer when i wanted it? (another dense question i know).
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    Options
    I always leave the cheese off until the base and toppings are cooked and then turn the oven off and put the cheese on and by the time Ive got the plates out,the cheese is all melty but hasn't gone stringy.
    You can make cheese crust pizza by making the dough a bit bigger than you want,putting cheese strips around the edge and then folding the edge over.When you break off the crust the cheese is all soft and melty inside.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure