MSE News: Ryanair 'sticks two fingers up at passengers' with new card fees

Options

Comments

• LondonDiva
    LondonDiva Posts: 3,011 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I flew Ryanair one to Dublin - never again, filthy planes and hard sell of lottery tickets etc etc all the way.

This summer I flew to Ireland again and made a choice to pay £80 extra to fly with Aer Lingus. I know for many people putting theor money wgere their mouth is would not be an option, but I wasn't prepared to ever again get off a plane, head for the disinfectant scrubs and dump my clothes straight in the machine.
    "This is a forum - not a support group. We do not "owe" anyone unconditional acceptance of their opinions."
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I got a Visa Electron card to avoid Ryanair's card fees and found it worked well with other airlines, ryanair stopped accepting visa electron fee free and I couldn't be bovverred with these prepaid load em up cards and haven't flown ryanair since they stopped, I continue to fly the visa electron fee free airlines though.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • WestonDave
    WestonDave Posts: 5,154 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    I'm convinced Ryanair do this deliberately to get press coverage working on the principle that there is no such things as bad publicity especially when its free. By now surely everyone knows that if you embark on any sort of transaction with Ryanair, Micheal O'Leary is standing behind you metaphorically ready to pick your pockets. As long as you keep your hand on your wallet and carefully count every penny at each step of the way its fine - even bookings these days are easy enough to cross compare with multitab browsers.
    Adventure before Dementia!
  • SaveTheEuro
    Options
    So they still make you pay the £6, but then give you it back as a 'voucher' presumably to be used onboard? Have I got this right?

Using this card you will not have to pay the debit/credit charge fee of £6 per person per flight.

You will have to buy the card for £6 but that fee is returned in the form of a voucher. It's unclear how the voucher is spent.

You have to load the card with a minimum of £150 and the foreign transaction fee (for booking a flight to the UK) is an incredible 5.75%.
  • Sharon87
    Sharon87 Posts: 4,011 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    When I checked flights to Rome Ryanair and Easyjet weren't even the cheapest for us on top of all their fees. We took Al Italia there and BA back, Ryanair and Easyjet would have cost a bit more. So they're not cheap for every flight they do, they may still have some bargain flights, but I'm betting the bargains to be had are less frequent.

I refuse to fly with Ryanair though, don't fancy having to deal with them and their bad customer service (that I've heard about from news/friends)
  • tobiascurious
    Options
    MSE_Martin wrote: »
    I don't care if they want to add a charge, they are dirt cheap, yet its now got to the point where this paymetn fee needs to be incorporated into their advertised price. That's the issue here.

Why? This means that everyone has to pay the £6 fee included in the flight cost.

The way it is now is better because that people are willing to jump through the hoops and play the game, get it cheaper.

Ryanair keep changing the goalposts but the really savvy customers still get to pay less than £10 per one way flight, which is great value
  • tobiascurious
    Options
    Using this card you will not have to pay the debit/credit charge fee of £6 per person per flight.

You will have to buy the card for £6 but that fee is returned in the form of a voucher.

You're right based on what the press release says.
    The article that this thread links to, incorrectly suggests that there is ambiguity on this point.
  • philce
    Options
    We have been using Ryanair for years now, we've had several 1p flights and rarely pay over £75 for return flights to Italy.

Ok so they try at every opportunity to get more money out of you, but at the end of the day they are in business to make money.

I play him at his own game, prepay card, no baggage, get food and drinks from Boots in the departure lounges, maybe get a hot drink on board (no more expensive than the departure lounges). I estimate that in the last 2 years we have saved over £200 just in the fees for the flights we have used.

This "booking fee per person per sector" is a real joke that the regulators need to clamp down on, it is not a card fee as the banks have no way of knowing who is flying.

Overall Ryanair are OK to fly with, new aircraft and mostly pleasant staff and crew. Ive had far worse experiences with some of the more well known airlines.

If you dont like them, dont fly with them, if you find a better deal then great, but from airports out of the major cities then there is really no other option. A 20 minute £5 return bus ride, compared to 2 hrs in a car then £60 for a weeks parking?

I used to use BmiBaby from East Midlands to Brussels, flight was always pretty full and fares were sub £100 all the time, they dropped the route, BMI proper took over and now flights are £400/500 if your'e lucky. (plus a card charge!!)
  • haynick
    Options
    Greedy !!!!!!!s
  • tobiascurious
    Options
    Personally I am very fond of Ryanair at the moment after I arrived at the airport 20 minutes before scheduled take off at a quiet European airport and I was allowed to go through security and board with no problem! I bought some scratchcards out of gratitude!

I arrived 30 minutes before take off for a full-price major airline at Heathrow once but was turned away :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure