PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2011 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• happycrafter_2
    Options
    Forgot to say my OH is looking at getting a sausage making machine, I can't wait it's one of a few things I buy ready made everything else I make from scratch. He has also been in touch with a goat farm to try and get some milk to make cheese he is really getting in to all this cooking stuff with me and we have made butter, soups, chutneys and pickles so far. He also made all the sweets for Christmas pressies as I was not well (peppermint creams, chocolate truffles and coconut ice) and they were enjoyed by everyone that received them.
  • goodlife_wannabes
    Options
    Please can you put me down for £200 for Jan
    MAR GC /£346
    The great, good and not so good bits about growing your dinner 2017
  • Sunflower1227
    Options
    XSpender wrote: »
    Not sure whatI will make for pud as I have no eggs to make a sponge pudding (DH favourite) and fancy something stodgy/comfort food. Have ice cream, chocolate, meringue nests, frozen rasps, flour, sugar, butter, milk, dried fruit. Might have to be a sundae type thing, not what I had in mind though. Any suggestions welcome:D
    QUOTE]

Hi, you could make an egg free sponge, filled with rasps and cover in chocolate and serve with ice cream to make it more scrummy :D

example below

Egg-free Lemon Sponge

Ingredients:
    • 200g self-raising flour
    • 2tsp baking powder
    • 75g caster sugar
    • 125g margarine
    • 150ml lemon juice
    • Zest of half a lemon
    • 175 ml cold water
    Preheat the oven to 190 degrees C. Beat the margarine and sugar until pale and fluffy. Sift in the flour and baking powder, holding the sieve high over the bowl. Gently fold in the water, lemon juice and zest. Divide the mixture between two greased and lined sandwich cake tins and bake for 30 minutes or until golden and springy. Turn out of the tins and cool before sandwiching together.
    I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. :)

Weight loss 3 stone :D
  • patentgirl
    patentgirl Posts: 1,028 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Morning everyone
    everyone seems to be doing really well
    need milk today so going to have to break my NSD since spending £4 on 2 Jan on medicine bits in poundland still 3 in a row is good for me
    Meal planning is my saviour!
    Frugal challenge 2024

• guccigoo
    guccigoo Posts: 483 Forumite
    Options
    Hippeechiq wrote: »
    :wave: HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone

Hello & Welcome to all newcomers :hello:

Am way behind with this thread, so behind I need to start from page 1! Lol

If I'm not too late MRSMCAWBER could you put Hippeechiq down for £250 please

I've no idea how I'm going to achieve this, as I was struggling to bring my budget in at £275, but with only 1 wage coming in, I need to skim £25 off my groceries if we are to be able to afford Chr*s*mas this year, and there's nothing else we can cut back on.

I can but try eh? My month runs from the 1st to the 31st inclusive.

Good Luck with this months challenge everyone :)

Hi Hippechiq and happy new year :wave: good to see you on here :)
    I will lose 2 stone by this summer!!!!!!
  • freedom2011
    Options
    Just popping by to say I have fallen of the GC Wagon but hope you will forgive me as it was for 2 approved food orders that I have done for bulk order for staples for the year & one for pasta for the next couple of months from local supermarket as it was bogoff, will do all my receipts later to work out the damage:eek: I'm doing the frugal year challenge too so it made sense to stockpile now
    Frugal Challenge £9000
    Grocery Challenge £tba pm £
  • minnie2
    minnie2 Posts: 513 Forumite
    Options
    i too am doing that challenge - was wondering if that would eventually affect this one!!
    Frugal living challenge - need to revisit its been.a while !! Need to reduce our debts!!
  • salski
    salski Posts: 292 Forumite
    Options
    Yeah major fail! We went shopping late on - bought a few whoopsie butties for dinner today and ended up spending the remainder of this weeks budget! I got all stuff on my list as well as the whoopsies, and left with a fiver!

So Salski - this week £65/£70 - major fail!
    Loan finished Sep 2010 - HSBC CC - WAS £750 now £0! Natwest CC - WAS £1600 now £100 - Overdraughts to be worked on! WILL be debt free by mid 2011!!!
    £2000 Saved so far for maternity leave - Our baby girl arrived valentines day! Elsie Ann - WELCOME :heart:
    Sealed pot challenge number 4 - number 1167 - Last day smoking: 8/1/2011
  • pipkin71
    pipkin71 Posts: 21,821 Forumite
    Options
    Haven't read the thread since yesterday, yet. It's a very fast moving one, but I love all the advice on here :)

We're actually off out today :j:j

I will be going to Poundland with my list. It comes to £12 now. Let's hope I can stick to it :D

I read on here about the offer on teabags in Tesco, so will be going to pick up a few boxes.

On a personal note, I have complained to the council [again] this morning about the loud music from the neighbour :mad: At least I am able to go out today, so we don't have to listen to it for too long.

Have a great day all. I will catch up when I get back :)
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
  • wssla00
    wssla00 Posts: 1,875 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all :) a NSD for me but LOADS to do in the house! My wonderful delivery for my birthday of an Emma Bridgewater mug and jug for flowers has arrived so they are now in the house on pride of place!

It's my OH's birthday today so will make him a cake. He won't be in till about nine so have LOADS of time to do it lol

Anyway I best be off. I have a mamouth amount of housework to do!
    Feb GC: £200 Spent: £190.79
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport