Our new Plusnet haggling guide- please share your feedback

Comments

• carpy
    carpy Posts: 1,083 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    i got them to price match Post Office at £15.90/month for std. broadband/line.........that's as good as it got!!! :(

hopefully will get something better at end of contract either with Plusnet or elsewhere
  • gazapc
    gazapc Posts: 257 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I was on a now expired £21 a month deal (rising to £35!) and just spoke to the team and the best they could offer was £28 per month on fibre broadband. That was despite referring to the £21 vodafone offer...

Looks like will be going elsewhere after 6 years. They have previously alwasy been good at matching/getting near to other offers.

Is it worth trying again?
  • GazHol
    GazHol Posts: 69 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    gazapc wrote: »

Is it worth trying again?

20 min on chat on Sunday, upgraded to Fibre to run from when LRS runs out in Aug:
    Plusnet Unlimited fibre broadband service Line rental Plusnet Unlimited UK & Mobile Call plan Total £25 per month on a new 12 month contract DEAL MATCH NOW TV

“Fibre” router has already arrived. Can’t do LRS with this deal, so I’ll get the extra pennies from the 123 Cashback.
  • carpy
    carpy Posts: 1,083 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    GazHol wrote: »
    20 min on chat on Sunday, upgraded to Fibre to run from when LRS runs out in Aug:
    Plusnet Unlimited fibre broadband service Line rental Plusnet Unlimited UK & Mobile Call plan Total £25 per month on a new 12 month contract DEAL MATCH NOW TV

“Fibre” router has already arrived. Can’t do LRS with this deal, so I’ll get the extra pennies from the 123 Cashback.

that sounds like a good deal

i've got regular broadband and line only for £15.90/month
  • ask66
    ask66 Posts: 98 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    carpy wrote: »
    i got them to price match Post Office at £15.90/month for std. broadband/line

Thanks for the tip carpy - I mentioned the Post Office deal but they wouldn't quite match it - I was offered £17/month, or free standard BB for 12 months if I took Line Rental Saver in advance £197.88 (£16.49/month) - I took the LRS.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Last year, my sister , on ADSL with Sky, could not get a deal, so booked PlusNet. However, Sky rang her with a very good deal,including calls , so she stayed with them .

This year the same again, but no Sky follow up, so she's with PlusNet.

If this poor deals phase is down to the new legislation, it's another case of government 'helping ' us by interfering, as with the combined line and broadband pricing.
  • teddysmum
    ask66 wrote: »
    Thanks for the tip carpy - I mentioned the Post Office deal but they wouldn't quite match it - I was offered £17/month, or free standard BB for 12 months if I took Line Rental Saver in advance £197.88 (£16.49/month) - I took the LRS.

This offer is difficult to understand as full price line is £18.99. The LRS reduces the price to £16.49 with only calls to pay for in future, so is straightforward (Best online deal of £19.99 makes the price of broadband £1).

In the case of £17, this is already £1.99 below the line cost, so broadband is still free. It seems to me that they are not offering free broadband only if you pay LRS; rather free anyway with 51p off for paying this way.

Things were supposed to have been made simpler, because a few people didn't understand that you had to pay for a line, when taking a free broadband offer, but now billing confuses many more (most ?) of us.
  • teddysmum
    carpy wrote: »
    that sounds like a good deal

i've got regular broadband and line only for £15.90/month

Didn't you then volunteer an 18 month term so you get a longer fix not affected by 6 months at full price, after all they charge more online for a 12 compared to 18 month term, so must prefer you to take the latter.:)

I know that 18 months at the online quote, with 6 months full price, does work out cheaper than at the 12 month rate with LRS applying to every month....buy Sky have an 18 month term anyway.
  • Currently coming to the end of my 40mbps contract and paying £22 per month. Quted TT and Voda deals at them (monthly equivalent of £18-22 and £20.74 but they won't budge from £26 which is for line and broadband (no calls). The guy I spoke to wasn't exactly Mr personality and actually suggested for me to leave! I've never had that sort of response before.
  • Mr_Meanie
    Mr_Meanie Posts: 297 Forumite
    edited 7 August 2019 at 12:58AM
    The guy I spoke to wasn't exactly Mr personality and actually suggested for me to leave! I've never had that sort of response before.

I think I must have talked to the same man yesterday, it was quite obvious from the very beginning of the call he wasn’t bothered if I renewed with Plusnet or went elsewhere, I too quoted some of the cheaper deals available from other suppliers and the response was along the lines of ’Well if you want to leave Plusnet I can’t stop you’.

I personally think that when Plusnet offer the massive new customer only cash back deals (£70 at the moment) it alienates existing customers because they can’t get anywhere near that discount on their contract at renewal and it also must be so demoralising for their staff because they know that one of the first questions an existing customers will ask is ‘Why can’t I have £70 cash back when I renew my contract’.

Anyway what to do now, Post Office, John Lewis, SSE, Shell, Now, Directsave, all cheaper than Plusnet because I will be a 'new customer', who to choose?
    I love my spell checker, it stops me making all sorts of stupid smelling mistakes. :doh:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback