Payment required via bank transfer on gumtree - Is it safe?

Options
2»

Comments

• Shaza0906
    Options
    Hi I've just been scammed last week with a guy saying he had a rented flat and stupidly I transfered the deposit with bank transfer as he convinced me it was legit being a British loyds bank account.. Everything sounded genuine as he was going to pay it into the deposit protection scheme in the morning.. Long story short there was no flat and he has taken £550..hes English and I even spoke to him on the phone. Is there anything I can do for like banks to I trace him? Think he's prob scammed a lot more. Thanks..
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    No because you willingly sent the deposit through bank transfer.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,622 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Shaza0906 wrote: »
    Hi I've just been scammed last week with a guy saying he had a rented flat and stupidly I transfered the deposit with bank transfer as he convinced me it was legit being a British loyds bank account.. Everything sounded genuine as he was going to pay it into the deposit protection scheme in the morning.. Long story short there was no flat and he has taken £550..hes English and I even spoke to him on the phone. Is there anything I can do for like banks to I trace him? Think he's prob scammed a lot more. Thanks..

Nothing you can do except report the matter to ActionFraud.

https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/
    ====
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,162 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The transfer is safe insofar as it will go through and you're not opening your bank account.

However, it is not safe with regards to protecting you should the item not arrive; it's the same with PPG (PayPal Gift).
  • Korkyb
    Korkyb Posts: 623 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 24 July 2019 at 3:42AM
    Options
    Not sure why everyone is sure this is a scam.

I'd be interested to know if the Ops seller advertised the item for postage or if it was a local / pickup ad that the Op then asked if it could be posted (if that was the case then its less likely to be a scam).

I might well be the seller in question as I had an item advertised on Gumtree this week and have had 2 requests to post it (it was on at a good price).

I said I was happy to post but wont accept paypal - only bank transfer.

My reason for this is that on 2 occasions I have previously sent items after receiving a payment by Paypal only to have the money taken back because the buyers said that the package contained something else (a brick in one instance) so proof of delivery was useless.

I've sold my item now (locally) but would be interested to know if there is a way around this that would protect the seller & the buyer when posting?

If not then I'll be sticking to my advertising on Gumtree for local buyers & if anyone wants me to post it then they will have to trust me.

I've more or less given up selling on eBay because I cant be bothered with the number of scammers. At least on Gumtree I can decide who I sell to and retain some control.
    Was it really "everybody" that was Kung Fu fighting ???
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,204 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Korkyb wrote: »
    Not sure why everyone is sure this is a scam.

I'd be interested to know if the Ops seller advertised the item for postage or if it was a local / pickup ad that the Op then asked if it could be posted (if that was the case then its less likely to be a scam).

I might well be the seller in question as I had an item advertised on Gumtree this week and have had 2 requests to post it (it was on at a good price).

I said I was happy to post but wont accept paypal - only bank transfer.

My reason for this is that on 2 occasions I have previously sent items after receiving a payment by Paypal only to have the money taken back because the buyers said that the package contained something else (a brick in one instance) so proof of delivery was useless.

I've sold my item now (locally) but would be interested to know if there is a way around this that would protect the seller & the buyer when posting?

If not then I'll be sticking to my advertising on Gumtree for local buyers & if anyone wants me to post it then they will have to trust me.

I've more or less given up selling on eBay because I cant be bothered with the number of scammers. At least on Gumtree I can decide who I sell to and retain some control.

With gumtree it is best to stick to face to face for cash. Bank transfer is an absolute no no for a buyer, and whilst I understand your reasoning I think any buyer basically givinfpg their cash away to a stranger is being foolish. Yes it is about trust, and Gumtree using bank transfer is a known scam so not to be trusted.

You have been unlucky with PayPal, many of us on here use it as a seller hundreds of times a month , I sell a lot on Facebook marketplace as well as eBay for instance and use it all the time to sell.
    There is no way at all that I would ever use a bank transfer to a stranger on any platform for any amount, just google 'Gumtree and bank transfer scam'.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure