Buyer wants to cancel AFTER sending

Private seller here. Buyer made a best offer on an item which I accepted. Paid for item and item sent.

A few hours later, messages me wanting to cancel because they claim they bought the wrong item.

I explain it's been sent. Buyer says they will just return it. I do not accept returns.

eBay said I don't have to do anything. When I mentioned that the buyer may damage the item or lie in order to return it, they said I would just have to accept it and give them a full refund. So I would be down almost £5 in postage and fees as I do not charge my customers postage.

Is there anything I can do to protect myself as eBay wouldn't even let me report her yet...when I was on chat with them...

Comments

• pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,074 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Just ask them to send back the package unopened when they receive it at their own expense and you will refund once you receive it back.

You will lose outward postage which is annoying, but being defensive about no returns is probably not going to help you here.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • 8ofspades
    8ofspades Posts: 141 Forumite
    Wait and see what happens, then contact eBay when it does. You've made them aware of the situation and they are quite good at ruling in the sellers favour these days in situations like this.
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I think this is just one of those things you have to accept when selling on ebay.

I would do as suggested above and get them to return it and do a full refund.

Block and move on.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport