Which Debt First?

Options
Hey,

So I made a thread a few weeks back asking for some basic advice, since then I’ve had a PPI claim come through totalling £1200 (had totally forgot I had done this tbh) but it should clear into my account next week. Obviously the “adult” choice for these funds is to clear my existing debts which I’ve recently grown concerned of (even if the other side of me would much rather have a shopping spree!!).

I currently have two accounts:-

Capital One - £1220 / £1500 - 30.9%
Aqua - £1715 / £3450 - 34.9%

What would be the best way to use this money against my debts? Do I split it and pay some towards each bringing both down, do I pay the higher % card to get it down lower or do I clear the total balance on the lower % card?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    I would normally say pay off the highest interest bearing debt first (Aqua), however in this case given their interest rates are not too far off each other, I would say clear the Capital One debt entirely and then close the account. Reason being, sometimes the satisfaction of reducing the number of debts you have can be more mentally beneficial than the saving of a few quid.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I also would find the extra £20 and pay off the capital one card.

One debt cleared, leaves you extra money to concentrate on clearing the second.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Forgot to add, there will be residual interest if you pay off the capital one card, so expect to pay something the following month.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure