Job application - how long until I get a reply?

I recently applied for a position within a large organisation and this is the first job I’ve applied for in 15 years. I received an automated response saying that they would be in touch either way. The job closed last month but I’ve not yet heard anything. I sent an email nicely asking when applicants are likely to hear back last week. Is it normal to be waiting so long these days or is it acceptable for a large company to not bother replying to applicants? The role is in the construction industry. Thank you for any replies!

Comments

• MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,918 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    A lot of businesses tend not to reply, there is normally something in the advert along the lines of 'if you haven't heard from us within 4 weeks of the closing date, you have not been successful'.

Can you check the advert? Or see if they have any other adverts ruining so you can check?

Just because you haven't heard anything yet, as long as they don't use something like above, they may be reviewing applications, or on holiday; things tend to grind to a halt during summer holidays!
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Unfortunately none of us can know .
    It's not uncommon for employers to not respond unless they want to interview you - it's not great, as a business practice, but I think it became common when companies were getting huge numbers of applications so it was impractical to respond to eveyone, and while that's no longer the cae, the practice hasn't changed back again.

It's also possible that the process is taking longer than they originally anticipated - maybe the people doing the interviews have had holidays or other time off, or they are holding a first set of interviews before deciding whether to invite more candidates in.

You say the job closed last month - when last month? If it was the start of last month so it's been 6 weeks, then I would say most likely they don't contact applicants unlesss they want t oo interview, and you probably haven't ben selected. f it clsoed late last month so it has only ben 3-4 weeks, then it may well be that they are still reviewing applications and you may still hear back.

Either way, having sent one polite enquiry you should leave it at that.

At this stage, i would work on the assumption you haven't been selected for an interview this tim, if they do contact you then it will be a pleasant surprise !
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • Just had an unsuccessful reply after a month's wait. 33 days to be precise.

I always think if they like what they see and the job does genuinely exist it's a pretty instant comeback.

Otherwise 2 to 4 weeks and possibly longer to learn you are the unsuccessful candidate.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure