Carers Allowance break

Options
My wife is convinced that she needs to inform the carers allowance people that she is taking a break from caring for me - she is away (at her parents) for 3 days
Should she inform them or is she just wasting her (and their) time by doing so ?
I am aware that she can take a 4 week break every 6 months - without it affecting any claim - but what about a whole lot of short (2 or 3 day) breaks (her parents are elderly, and live 150 miles away and she feels responsible for them as well as myself) !!

Comments

• Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I found this -
    https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice/financial-support/help-with-benefits/carers-allowance
    Note that Carer’s Allowance will stop if your total breaks add up to more than 12 weeks in the past 26 weeks.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 4,176 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    My wife is convinced that she needs to inform the carers allowance people that she is taking a break from caring for me - she is away (at her parents) for 3 days
    Should she inform them or is she just wasting her (and their) time by doing so ?
    I am aware that she can take a 4 week break every 6 months - without it affecting any claim - but what about a whole lot of short (2 or 3 day) breaks (her parents are elderly, and live 150 miles away and she feels responsible for them as well as myself) !!

If she is backward and forward from her parents she is probably right to inform. Then when the total time she is not caring for you will be tallied by them and payments stopped when the limit is reached.
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 28 April 2019 at 4:50PM
    Options
    _shel wrote: »
    If she is backward and forward from her parents she is probably right to inform. Then when the total time she is not caring for you will be tallied by them and payments stopped when the limit is reached.

This is her first break from caring for me in 12 years - so this is hard for her
    Also - her 90 year old Dad really needs help but is too stuborn and set in his (old school) ways to accept any financial assistance (DLA) - her Mum does care for him but won't accept any payment (CA)
    I know that a person cannot get CA for 2 people but there must be options available - to continue on CA ?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 4,176 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    No, you can't claim for two and you must meet the requirements of 35hrs care with limited breaks to be eligible.

She should call in other relatives or social services if it's hard, which it must be living so far from them.
  • 50Twuncle
    Options
    _shel wrote: »
    No, you can't claim for two and you must meet the requirements of 35hrs care with limited breaks to be eligible.

She should call in other relatives or social services if it's hard, which it must be living so far from them.

She does meet the requirements of 35 hours - easily
    She cooks, cleans. washes, gardens & drives me - she is there for me 24/7 - probably safe to say 158 hours per week (I work 10) !!
  • 50Twuncle
    edited 28 April 2019 at 9:12PM
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    I found this -
    www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice/financial-support/help-with-benefits/carers-allowance
    Note that Carer’s Allowance will stop if your total breaks add up to more than 12 weeks in the past 26 weeks.

It is 12 weeks that you are allowed to take a break -
    IF the person being cared for goes in to hospital

4 weeks breaks allowed - otherwise - per 26 weeks claiming period !
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I see no problem if she is still caring for you 35 hours a week plus even though she is not there for a couple of day, after all the 35 hours could be made up of 4x9 hours
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure