PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2011 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• another spend today of £14.45 this included 8 pints of milk 3 lots of fruit, dog food and a birthday card and present.
    Grocery challenge Jan 270.27/200:eek:

Total debt 04/01/2011 £2671.23:eek:
  • nattyt
    nattyt Posts: 431 Forumite
    edited 4 January 2011 at 12:38PM
    I have only spent £4.89 so far which i am quite proud of! This was on 2 big bottles of milk, some pringles and sweets for the kids!!! I've told them to enjoy them as they aren't having any for a while!! Cruel mother! I need to buy some kitchen roll...have tried to live without it but just can't. Will go to the shop with just enough money so can't buy anything else! I've got enough toiletries i reckon to last until April excluding shampoo and conditioner so won't be buying anything like that. Got lots of washing powder etc and freezer full. This WILL be a low spend month! xx

Oh and realised i forgot to add my amount £200 please but hoping that it will be a lot less!
    If music be the food of love then play on
    "No matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow". ღ ~Maya Angelou
    Doing it for my kids. For a better secure life. x
  • kippers
    kippers Posts: 2,053
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I am cooking a curry with left over pork and veg for me and my DH tonight. This will be my first attempt to cook a curry from scratch...i have my garam masala and coconut milk ready in my pantry, i just need to find a recipe now.

My DD's have 3 friends round today so i bought a bag of chips yesterday to go with the fish fingers i have in the freezer and a couple of tins of beans or spag. I have a left over chocolate swiss roll so that will also do for pudding.

My DH will be picking some milk up on his way home so i will have to update my signature then.

Keep going everyone with the challenge!
  • Please add me on for £100 for Jan bit late I know but have only done 1 shop so far. Need to focus on using things from the freezer this month. Started with a frozen chicken on Sunday:)
  • esmer
    esmer Posts: 1,444 Forumite
    Im Ill so mum got me some stuff from Morrisons, and didnt watch the pennies, so have to be greatful she went for me :)

Mr Ms - 14.35
    Mr Ts - 8.32

Left to spend on Friday in my shop - 17.33 or less if I can help it :)

I just got nappies and toiletries from Mr T, so no need for any of those for a while. I just need some basics on Friday and sandwich stuff for me for work. I take my lunch with me to work to save cash as well.

Im saving 100.00 Feb and March off my wages as my season ticket is 10 months. I plan to try and save that too. Should try and save Council tax money as well, as its 10 monthly too.
    Saving 2.00 coins
    Grocerys set to 40.00 pw
    Being Thrifty
  • lisamckinney: perhaps you could invest in a small thermos flask and carry some soup to work with you. If you don't make your own even tinned soup can be satifying on a winters day.
    Or use it to carry your coffee/tea which will save you buying them at inflated prices.
    Fruit is usually very reasonably priced at Aldi or Lidl and it can be carried each day in your lunch box.
    Also if you have access to a microwave at work you could carry left overs and heat them up for your lunch.
    If you have a filling lunch you may not be as hungry when you arrive home and therefore may be less tempted to opt for the quick option ready meals and allow yourself time to make hm pasta/potato/rice etc.
    A small slow cooker may also be a worthwhile investment for you.
    hope this helps.
    Good luck.:)
    It takes a long time to eat an elephant and I'm doing it a bite at a time!!!
  • fizzypops
    fizzypops Posts: 248 Forumite
    spent 68p today on 2 packs of cheap baby wipes for quick cleaning :D
    Total debt- 2982.00 Now- £2890.00
  • pipersky
    pipersky Posts: 954 Forumite
    Thanks for the thread :)

Can you put me down for £200 for Jan please? Thanks x
    Part time GCer, NSDer, Comper and (Bad)Flylady :o
    A big shot is just a little shot that kept shooting ...
  • mfwin2019
    mfwin2019 Posts: 150
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi can I join please, I currently have cupboards & freezer still bulging from Christmas so would like to try £125 for the month of January I have spent £21.12 so far(or rather DH did - remind me not to let him come shopping with me) There are 2 adults & 2 children in the house & the spend will include all food, toiletries & cleaning products for the month. I have often lurked on this thread but think there is more chance of sticking to my budget if I join you
    Declutter 2023  110/520
    Jan grocery challenge 324.44/350 25.56 spare
    Feb grocery challenge 204.45/280
    March gc 0/310

23 minutes a day self care, decluttering, tidying or cleaning 
  • jintyb
    jintyb Posts: 1,758
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    wssla00 wrote: »
    A NSD for me today! Hopefully an NSD for me tomorrow too! I really don't need anything but do need to clear out the freezer ready for the new one that doesn't make a horrible groaning sound arriving on Thursday.

I do have a problem though- does anyone know the best way to defrost a freezer and how to keep the food frozen until my new one comes on Thursday?

Any help would be appreciated!

Mine's an upright - not sure about chest freezers. If youre disposing of it just disconnect and put outside and once it's defrosted use a plastic jug to scoop out the water

What I do is:

I usually empty my freezer before I go to bed & let it defrost overnight. I put a big deep baking tray under the bottim to catch the water.
    I wrap any food in newspaper or thick towels and put it in a basin or a cool bag. The bags for frozen food you buy at the SM are good too. If its cold enough outside I put it outside my back door. HTH

you will always be rich enough to be generous.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure