New Ebay Seller - How can I Protect Myself?

Options
So i have sold a few small bits on ebay before, all a few quid here and there, but i have just got an offer on a wedding dress i put up a while back.

Its a bit less than i wanted but its better for it to be gone, but its only now occurred to me it might be a bit of a scam, and i was wondering if anyone can advise the best ways to protect myself?
Its up for £240 and they offered £180 - i went back and said £190 - they then said £170 so i cant tell if negotiating isn't their strong point or if they're just trying to annoy me, anyway we have another offer of £180 which i can deal with.

I've heard stories of selling something of this value and then the buyer puts a claim in with paypal, or says its not as described and gets the money back and keeps the item - what can i do to protect myself from this happening or is it just not worth it?

I was going to send it with a courier to avoid issues there, but do i need to film the item, take loads more photos, date stamp them somehow? any help is hugely appreciated.

Comments

• jeffuk
    jeffuk Posts: 606 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    You should send it according to the method in your listing.
    For your safety it should be insured (to the value of £180) and trackable to delivery online.
  • Katapolt
    Katapolt Posts: 291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    thank you, i was planning on the insurance and stuff anyway.

My main concern is someone putting in a claim on ebay or paypal and then keeping the dress and getting a refund, im planning on taking videos of the dress and photos, of it packaged up as well so i can prove the condition it left in, but is there anything else to have in case?
  • RainbowDrops
    Options
    If you're nervous & haven't accepted the offer, maybe consider other options for selling, such as local FB groups?
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I would counter their offer of £170 with an offer of £241, they will run out of chances to make an offer if they play silly games.

There is always a risk they will reclaim their money back. You can do your best but its always a risk. If thats too much of a risk then dont sell it online.

You want a face to face cash sale. Hope you know how to spot fake notes though.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure