British Gas Loyalty Days Verdict = Rubbish

sd99
sd99 Posts: 39 Forumite
Well I just received my first discount and was subsequently disappointed - my £339.75 bill (for 89 days) included a massive 77p discount for a single loyalty day.

Obviously you’d think a “day” meant a whole day, or at push, to mean “daytime” or “daylight hours” which is on average 12 hours a day. But no, they mean “working day”, a nine hour period between 9am and 5pm. Although using their 35% of a day calculation, that 9 hours includes a 30 minute lunch break which also isn’t included in the loyalty day…

Ok, so looking at the small print, it also says it’s based on the last six months average usage. That it is based on the pre-tax amount, and doesn’t include the daily standing charge either.

Let’s look at the last two bills. I don’t have gas, and both bills are based on 3 months each, so this should be easy.

Sep-Dec (93 days)
Unit cost: 169.87
Standing charge: 23.03
Total: 192.90 or 202.54 (inc vat)

Dec-Mar (89 days)
Unit cost: 324.34
Standing charge: 22.04
Total: 324.34 or 339.75 (inc vat)

So, 169.87 + 324.34 = 494.21 for 182 days of electric. This doesn’t include the standing charge or vat.
Per day, that averages at £2.72 per day. 35% of that is 95p.

95p is rubbish, but the 77p I received is even worse.

Is there even more small print that I’ve missed in how they diddle this calculation further?

Comments

• satori
    satori Posts: 38 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks for sharing. I just tried and run my own calcs. Based on my consumption during the last 6 months, I could get a discount of about 30p... however, as you stated, the 'loyalty day' is only from 9am to 5pm. I leave before 7am and come back after 8pm and I don't tend to leave the heating on during the day, even in the winter! I only have gas with them too. So I would probably get less than 10p! Might still sign up just to check how little I get!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure