2»

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    more context in the other thread.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5868700

This may have been better as a single post covering everything so the relevant details are included.

You include how you want to pay overtime in the contract.
  • andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    There are so many ways this can be covered.
    Some employers say ALL overtime has to be approved before you take it - some approve after it has been taken.
    Some say quarter/half hours etc. after the first half hour.
    Some pay everything with 15, 30, 45 minute calculations.
    If you should go to a solicitor for instance, then they will charge you in time units - normally 6 minute units, and they will not write off anything which they can recover.
    My advice to the OP would be to draw up a contract and make it obvious, because not doing so could at the very least result in disgruntled staff.
  • 1) they walk of the job because they have technically only get paid for the hour so work for the hour

2) you negotiate that they might work up to 5/10 minutes extra a few shifts but you will give them something in return.

It!!!8217;s a care position so it!!!8217;s hard as they need to get things done but also might be slow... so why pay them more etc.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,366
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    edited 16 July 2018 at 7:02PM
    The simple solution is to say that all overtime must be authorised in advance. The downside is that if a job is genuinely going to run over, and that isn't known until the last minute, would you be happy for the employee just to walk out and leave the work incomplete?

If people are repeatedly having to work overtime it suggests one of two things (1) the staff aren't up to the job (2) staff are being asked to do too much. Then it's necessary to decide whether to get rid and recruit new staff or whether to review the workload and potentially take on more people
  • dawyldthing
    dawyldthing Posts: 3,438 Forumite
    The other thing is possibly allocate things on different days so it doesn't overrun. So if you've got a shopping day don't allocate cleaning windows or they'll never finish on time. But generally if I'm there at work doing work things I write it on my time sheet, even if it's 5 minutes as 5 minutes is 37p roughly
    :T:T :beer: :beer::beer::beer: to the lil one :) :beer::beer::beer:
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    I regularly get out late and dont get paid for it, 15 mins here, 10 minutes there. About 3 years ago we got a new clocking in system and because of that they won't pay us past our rota-d finish time.
  • sitesafe
    sitesafe Posts: 544
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 19 July 2018 at 5:10PM
    If you're talking being woken on a sleep in night shift that can get tricky. You usually get a flat rate for the night, allowing one or two call outs. However if the callout extends into a long period of time then that's not fair on the employee. Often further call outs are often paid at an hourly rate. So if you get called out for 20 mins at 2 am you might get an hour's pay but then you'd probably still only get an hour's pay if the callout extended to more than an hour as there's often no clarification as to how long the callout is.
    It can be a very demanding job being a PA/Carer both psychologically and physically, you often have to switch off your personality and become a blank canvas, have no opinions etc, and be that way 24/7 if you live in, so often if you're doing a sleep in you may have worked very hard during the day and need your sleep.
    I guess the fair answer is to divide the hourly rate by minutes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure