£67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed....

Comments

• Verbatim
    Verbatim Posts: 4,830 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I hope the weather holds for your sister's wedding TOPM. Have the macarons turned out well? How many are you making?
    I do miss your daily updates but thoroughly understand how much time it must free up for you.
    You didn't mention work/ increased earnings so I presume and trust that all is going well there?
    Best wishes for a super weekend for the wedding.
    CCs @0% £24k Dec 05 £19,621.41 Au £13400 S 12600 Oct £11,981 £9481 £7500 Nov £7250 D £7100 Jan 6950 F £5800 Mar£5400 May £4830 June £4660 July £4460 Aug £3200, S £900, £0 18/9/07 DFW Nerd 042
  • I agree about the real cost of food and clothing. We eat organic where possible and buy high quality meat but eat less of it. My clothes are only bought twice a year when the wardrobe changes seasons. I got this tip from Bea Johnsons book. I do get the occasional charity shop find if am browsing my local one. I can't resist a look when nipping to the corner shop. Latest finds, gorgeous baby Zara top for my niece and for me Jaeger linen shirt, nomads linen trousers brand new and some lovely slouchy pants ideal for my camping trips. New clothes tho are carefully thought out in April and October and kept to an absolute minimum. Saves me going in to town which I hate! My daughter on the other hand hmmm parcels arriving all the time from Missguided and Boho! No wonder the high street is dying, I hardly ever visit it and the youngsters buy everything online!

Good luck with the wedding and cake. My mum is a professional cake decorator and she is doing a lot of naked cakes this year.
    Total weight lost 6.5/73lbs starting yet again. Afds August 10/15. /8 Sept.
  • Verbatim Work/earning more is going reasonably well, but the 'extra' work time which I had planned is taking a bit of a back seat while DH is doing overtime - I've lost four weekend days to it over the last month, which is most of my weekend work days (the only time I get to do a solid 10-12 hours work) - and with all the end of term shenanigans at school. Income continues to tick along though, and I feel like I'm making some headway. At least we'll get a good £500 from DH's overtime at some stage (hoping half of it will be paid this month).

Macarons are going well! Storing them is the challenge but I think I've cracked it now.

Arsenalbarnie I think I'd like to shift over to shopping more like this (twice a year) again as it's much easier to keep a handle on what's needed. I used to do it, but when I cut my budgets right back I then didn't buy anything for a couple of seasons, and building my wardrobe back up to the point I can go six months without buying much is taking some time - almost there though. As I become less client facing I'll reintroduce my clothing budget back into our normal budget rather than having it as a percentage of turnover, which will be an interesting change.

I used to love a good charity shop browse, but I never seem to have the time any more, boo.
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,011 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Love what you are saying about ethical shopping. It was an eye-opener for me when I realised that most of the stuff in the supermarket is more about marketing empty calories than providing real food!

Have a great time at the wedding!
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Verbatim
    Verbatim Posts: 4,830 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Hope the wedding goes beautifully.
    CCs @0% £24k Dec 05 £19,621.41 Au £13400 S 12600 Oct £11,981 £9481 £7500 Nov £7250 D £7100 Jan 6950 F £5800 Mar£5400 May £4830 June £4660 July £4460 Aug £3200, S £900, £0 18/9/07 DFW Nerd 042
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,332 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    There are lots of us thinking about you and your Sister's wedding and hoping the weather is good. Have a relaxing time
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 25.04% spent or £754.10/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Yes, hope you are having a wonderful time at the wedding! :D
    Debt: £11,640.02 paid in full! DFD: 30/06/20
    Starter Emergency Fund (#187): £1000/£1000
    3 month Emergency Fund (#45): £3300/£3300
  • Week 75: Day 2

Aaaaaaaaand I'm back. Albeit with eyelids propped open with matchsticks and a brain which isn't really functioning in any meaningful way. What a full on weekend. So much to organise, plan and execute (I am the organised one in my family so got handed an awful lot of extra jobs). The day went off without a hitch though, and everyone was thrilled with it (and with my cake/macaron production skills).

I absolutely cannot make my bank accounts make sense with YNAB at the moment (did I mention my brain isn't working?!), so I have just adjusted my budgets upwards and downwards as necessary (my business account had about £30 less than I thought it should have, the joint account about £50 more) and am not going to attempt to work out where my maths has failed. No major spending to report, have not had time.

I'll be back soon with more when I have the energy.

To do this week
    1. Pack orders for smaller business.
    2. Tidy house.
    3. Clear emails and deal with any firefighting that needs to be done as a result of not working for virtually a week.
    4. Restart daily social media (again, a week off!).

Mini goals:
    - £9.22/31 June rounding down pot.
    - £3,114.53/£5,000 2018 debt repayment goal.
    - £348/£932 extension pre-build costs shortfall.
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • Starmummy
    Starmummy Posts: 537 Forumite
    So glad your sister had a lovely wedding.

I sometimes find that it's the change of routine that exhausts me and frazzles my brain rather than it actually being because I've been busier.

I hope you get on top of things soon but make sure you are kind to yourself

Take care

SM
    debt consolidated 16/8/18 £9,788.01/£12,618.12 :( (Total debt at LBM 1st Jan '18 c..£19.5k)
    EF/FIT savings £97.24 Other Savings £12.17 House Deposit £4,762.64/£20,000 23.8% :D
  • Chrystal
    Chrystal Posts: 1,850 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Glad everything went well and your baking was a hit! :)

Give your brain at least 24 hours before you attempt to get it into money working mode - after a week it probably thought the 'emergency' was over and decided to take a well earned rest, a bit like we do when we eventually collapse after coping heroically with a crisis. :rotfl:

Remember, slow and steady wins the race. X
    I Believe.....
    That it isn't always enough, to be forgiven by others.
    Sometimes, you have to learn to forgive yourself.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery
    Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

happiness isn't achieved by getting extra things,
    but by getting rid of the things that make you unhappy
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport