PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Would you buy a house without a bath??

flameshouse
flameshouse Posts: 7 Forumite
edited 6 December 2017 at 8:11PM in House buying, renting & selling
I have a small 2 bed house with a tiny bathroom, like tiny, the sink overhangs the bath. I'm having the bathroom ripped back to brick and done from scratch, but i'm considering removing the bath and having a large shower cubicle instead... as this is a "first time buyers" kind of house, and thinking about young kids, would removing the bath completely put anyone off/lower the value?

Would you buy a house without a bath? 357 votes

YES
51% 184 votes
NO
48% 173 votes

Comments

• aneary
    aneary Posts: 921 Forumite
    I’m single looking for a two bed property as a first time buyer. I like showers but I dismiss all properties without a bath. Much easier to add a shower over a bath than put a bath into a shower room.
  • Personally we prefer a nice large shower cubicle to a bath with shower over but we're in the minority. For most people with young kids it would would probably be a deal breaker to not have a bath.
  • JoJo1978
    JoJo1978 Posts: 375 Forumite
    First Post
    We have a tiny downstairs bathroom. When we had it refitted we kept the bath but had: mini handbasin sink (no overhang), a deeper strong bottom bath shorter than standard length (suitable for showering or occasional bath) and a toilet that has a smaller cistern.

People with v young kids and possibly older people who cannot stand long may be put off if no bath, but can fit a shower seat in to solve latter. We decided to make ours as trad as possible to appeal to everyone but not spend too much because in our house it's the disappointing feature. It still sold despite that!
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    A shower screams "TINY HOUSE". A small/tight bathroom doesn't.

I'd not buy one without a bath. A bath is what you have in a "proper house".
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 6 December 2017 at 7:39PM
    On the other hand - speaking as someone that has a tiny bathroom in current house:( - and I have one of those huge walk-in shower cubicles and would say that just as many people (maybe more) would be put off by there being a bath as by there not being a bath.

eg Those who have (or fear in the future) having problems in accessing a bath

Those who cba to clean baths and/or are worried about leaning over to clean baths (because they've done their back in before and are worried it might happen again).

Horses for courses I would say.

EDIT; A friend of mine recently ripped out one of those huge walk-in showers (not long after she'd had it done!!!!!) from one of her bathrooms to allow for bathing young grandchildren. Personally - I was astonished and thought how it's always possible to get one of those HUGE garden trug things that are multi-purpose and bathe a very small child in one of them temporarily.

The other possibility, of course, is to have a shower slider rail that allows for the shortest to the tallest people (dependant on where the showerhead is set on this rail). It slides up for tall people and right down for those of 2 year old or so height. Job done.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Single person, no kids. If I had to choose I'd choose bath over a shower every time. Can't beat a long relaxing soak with a book. And I have the shower attachment over the bath if I just want to hose myself down.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Bath over shower here too.

If there wasn't a bath I'd deduct the cost of refitting the bathroom from any offer.

If there was some randomly short bath I'd be recosting that too. Even as a shorty a bath needs to be a proper size.

No room for a bath would be an absolute deal breaker.
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Whoops, the question in the poll is worded opposite to the thread title so I voted wrongly. For clarification, yes not having a bath would put me off a house or flat, and no I wouldn't buy a home that didn't have a bath.
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• phoebe1989seb
    phoebe1989seb Posts: 4,452 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 6 December 2017 at 7:50PM
    No young kids here either. I think I can speak for DH when I say that if we had to choose, we would both always opt for a bath instead of a shower. You can't relax with wine/book etc in a shower, lol!

No space for a bath would be a dealbreaker for us.

We're fortunate to have both in this house and I can honestly say the shower only gets used for dog washing or when DS & GF visit :p

Last house was the same. We had three bath/shower rooms and tbh the showers were a waste of money.

Regarding older/infirm users, my parents had their decent-sized bathroom in their 1920s house converted to a wetroom when they were in their late seventies. When we had to sell their house the young couple that bought it weren't remotely put off by the lack of bath.......
    Mortgage-free for fourteen years!

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
  • I voted in answer to the thread title as I assumed the poll question would be the same rather than the opposite so my 'yes' vote should have been a no :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure