Advice for my eyes

Sorry if this is the wrong place, I am just wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

I've never had great skin and earlier this year was diagnosed with rosacea and started using a gel on my face once a day. I've always also had dark circles under my eyes, which I just conceal as there's not a lot that can be done about that!

In the summer the skin under my eyes suddenly got very wrinkly and flaky skin and it looks awful. Last week it got really puffy too and was hurting like really bad sunburn. I have been using almond oil for a while which seemed to be helping but since last week it's all got much worse. Aloe vera cream doesn't seem to be helping either. I haven't started using anything new or changed my skin routine. I've tried cucumbers too and they don't help.

Now I know I am getting older but at 39 wasn't expecting wrinkles to appear so suddenly and I unfortunately cannot afford botox to help it all.

I think I could probably cover up one thing but the redness, flakiness and wrinkles all together is too much to cope with!

I have a Drs appt but not until Friday morning and I am worried she will just tell me to suck it up but I can't live like this, it's bringing me down and making me very self conscious about my face.

Has anyone else experienced this and if so do you have any tips of anything I can try to improve it? Is the doctor likely to laugh me out of the door?

Thanks!

Comments

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 18,869
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I suffer from Rosacea. My skin would be like it had been burned and was red, scaly and sore.

I started to use Cetaphil to wash my face after a recommendation on here and it has made a big difference,

When my skin was sore I found Sudocrem soothed and calmed it and my skin became soft again.

My GP confirmed that it was suitable to use.

Sunlight or wind aggravate mine.
  • Hermia
    Hermia Posts: 4,473
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Lu_Lu wrote: »
    Sorry if this is the wrong place, I am just wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

I've never had great skin and earlier this year was diagnosed with rosacea and started using a gel on my face once a day. I've always also had dark circles under my eyes, which I just conceal as there's not a lot that can be done about that!

In the summer the skin under my eyes suddenly got very wrinkly and flaky skin and it looks awful. Last week it got really puffy too and was hurting like really bad sunburn.

I had that happen once and it was due to switching to a gel eye cream and it basically dehydrated the skin. Whenever my skin dehydrates it starts to forms wrinkles. The skin also became sensitive for a while. The only thing that worked for me is switching to a eye cream made for dry sensitive skin. I wonder if the rosacea gel shouldn't have gone anywhere near the under eye area. I have creams for my skin conditions and they often say to avoid that area. I think Avene sell an eye cream for Rosacea prone skin.
  • helcat26
    helcat26 Posts: 1,119
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Hi
    You may want to consider that you might be having an allergic reaction.
    Last year on holiday I had a horrendous reaction of puffy eyes, which then subsided into dry wrinkly skin which did not snap back for ages.
    Doctor in UK had no idea what it was - suggested everything from virus to migraine, antihistamines etc no help.
    It was not until I got it again on holiday this year that a chemist overseas identified it being associated with the sunscreen I was using on my face (nothing on the tube saying do not use on the face) contact dermatitis

I had been using that sunscreen before for years

It took 3 weeks to go down.
    Maybe wash or treat your face with just water and see if it helps?
    Good luck
  • Lu_Lu
    Lu_Lu Posts: 228
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Thanks all.

I might try that cleanser, pretty much up for trying anything.

I have been using the same stuf on my face for months though and the gel for rosacea since May and this only started happening in the summer. I am very hopeful that something has made this happen rather than age but can’t put it down to anything in particular.

Is it worth stopping products individually to see if it improves? How long would it take for something to get out of my system enough?

I can’t just use water to wash with as need a good cleanser to get the makeup off!
  • Hermia
    Forumite
    helcat26 wrote: »
    Hi
    You may want to consider that you might be having an allergic reaction.
    Last year on holiday I had a horrendous reaction of puffy eyes, which then subsided into dry wrinkly skin which did not snap back for ages.
    Doctor in UK had no idea what it was - suggested everything from virus to migraine, antihistamines etc no help.
    It was not until I got it again on holiday this year that a chemist overseas identified it being associated with the sunscreen I was using on my face (nothing on the tube saying do not use on the face) contact dermatitis

I had been using that sunscreen before for years

It took 3 weeks to go down.
    Maybe wash or treat your face with just water and see if it helps?
    Good luck

I have terrible problems with sunscreens too even when they say they are safe for eyes. Bioderma is the only one that works for me.
  • Hermia
    Forumite
    Lu_Lu wrote: »
    Thanks all.

I might try that cleanser, pretty much up for trying anything.

I have been using the same stuf on my face for months though and the gel for rosacea since May and this only started happening in the summer. I am very hopeful that something has made this happen rather than age but can’t put it down to anything in particular.

Is it worth stopping products individually to see if it improves? How long would it take for something to get out of my system enough?

I can’t just use water to wash with as need a good cleanser to get the makeup off!

Avene's Extremely Gentle Cleanser might be worth a go. It is for hyper sensitive skin.

You can develop reactions to products you have used before or been using. I have sensitive skin and it happens to me a lot.

I think stopping one product at a time is a good idea. You should see an improvement soon, but it may take a while for the skin to fully heal. Maybe a two week trial? I don't think ageing would happen that drastically, especially as you are not old!
  • barbiedoll
    barbiedoll Posts: 5,326
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    My eyes tend to water if I'm too hot, too cold, or if I'm looking at screens for too long. This makes the skin around my eyes really puffy, red and sore.

I know it sounds weird, but I use tiny amounts of nipple cream (Lansinoh is a good one) around my eyes, especially at night but also during the day if they're especially sore. Use a miniscule amount though, if you wear eye make-up, it will smudge!

Speaking of which, check your make-up and brushes. Most of us hardly ever wash our make-up brushes but they are a breeding ground for bacterial nasties. Ditto for mascara wands, and eye-shadow palettes, especially if you've had them for more than a year. Maybe throw out anything suspect and treat yourself to some new stuff?..and look for hypoallergenic brands in case you have developed an allergy.
    "I may be many things but not being indiscreet isn't one of them"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport