Word links

Options
I am and have been using a copy of Word, 2000 (9.0.2720), for a very long time and am happy with it except for one thing.

I used to be able to copy an url, place it in a Word document and it became a clickable link, however for quite a while, (could be since I got a new computer using Windows 7 Professional (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601) over 12 months ago), it will not allow this just, keeping the url in black font.

Prior to Pro 7 I was using XP and had no problems with this, even now if I copy the url into Apache Open Office 4.1.1 the link becomes clickable.

Is there something I can do to overcome this problem short of what I am doing which is pasting the link into Open Office then C&P into Word, (please don't suggest using Office as I don't like it).

Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

Comments

• DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Insert >> Hyperlink?
  • derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    DoaM wrote: »
    Insert >> Hyperlink?

No, if I copy and paste an address from the search box into Open Office I can then click on it so I to that page, but if I do the same in Word it just remains as text, I.e not clickable.

• debitcardmayhem
    Options
    Did you try as DoaM suggested Insert Hyperlink , I remember vaguely Ctrl+K does the same
    or
    http://www.techrepublic.com/article/use-this-tip-to-save-time-editing-hyperlinks-in-word-97-2000/
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • derrick
    Options
    Did you try as DoaM suggested Insert Hyperlink , I remember vaguely Ctrl+K does the same
    or
    http://www.techrepublic.com/article/use-this-tip-to-save-time-editing-hyperlinks-in-word-97-2000/

I have now and it does work, but does not address my original question as to why I cannot just copy the url and paste it into Word as I did with XP and can still do with Open Office. Or is it something to do with Windows 7 Pro?

• AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    There is a check box somewhere in advanced settings that controls this behaviour.
    I forget exactly where it is now but it will be quite obvious when you see it
  • derrick
    Options
    AndyPix wrote: »
    There is a check box somewhere in advanced settings that controls this behaviour.
    I forget exactly where it is now but it will be quite obvious when you see it

I will have a look later, but I am sure I did not alter anything when I changed from XP to Windows 7 and loaded Word.

• Geodark
    Geodark Posts: 1,048 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    derrick wrote: »
    I will have a look later, but I am sure I did not alter anything when I changed from XP to Windows 7 and loaded Word.

So its a totally different computer with a different install of Word? it isnt just a case of changing from XP to 7. Could it be that at some point in the distant past you had changed this setting on your old machine?
  • DoaM
    Options
    derrick wrote: »
    I have now and it does work, but does not address my original question as to why I cannot just copy the url and paste it into Word as I did with XP and can still do with Open Office.

I couldn't answer your original question so I offered a workaround solution that was easier than what you were considering. :)
  • derrick
    Options
    Geodark wrote: »
    So its a totally different computer with a different install of Word? it isnt just a case of changing from XP to 7. Could it be that at some point in the distant past you had changed this setting on your old machine?

Different computer, XP on original computer, Windows Pro 7 on new computer, same Word 2000 as on the XP, no change in settings, worked OK on XP.

• DoaM
    Options
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/291182/frequently-asked-questions-about-hyperlinks-in-word

Do the reverse of what that says for "How do I turn off automatic hyperlinks?"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure