Laser Eye Surgery Cost Cutting

To report your tips and experiences: click reply

To discuss contact lenses: click here

To read the Contact Lens and Laser Eye Surgery Cost Cutting Article: click here

Comments

• bluejosiah
    bluejosiah Posts: 410 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I was quoted £2,500 for both eyes, but then received 20% discount as my sister worked for one of their partners. It's really worth checking out the partners bit with Ultralase!
  • cmhbyandco
    cmhbyandco Posts: 46 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker

I was lucky to be one of the first people to take up the offer of cheaper laser eye surgery on ebay. I had the treatment December 2004 and it was fantastic. I paid £895 for both eyes and was booked in within 2 weeks to have it done.

I highly recommend the whole thing, buying over ebay and having the laser eye surgery. :T
  • Epiphone
    Epiphone Posts: 223 Forumite
    I had it done at Optimax about 6 weeks ago and it's fantastic! I did a blog at http://lasekeyes.blogspot.com/ and Ultralase have an excellent forum at http://www.lasereyeforum.com/forum/
  • :money: I am having a consultation with optical express on 12/5/06 which is free and the price starts from £395 per eye? I'll keep you informed of progress and service.

Well I’ve had the consultation and it was excellent, I've opted for mono vision which means I won’t have to wear reading glasses! This is only recommended for people who have worn contacts like this for some time. My Wife however could not have surgery as her eyes were beyond the limits that optical express will operate. They say they are very cautious off not operating where they consider the results will not be satisfactory. The cost for me will be £665 per eye however as the £395 price is only for very minor correction. They were very professional, courteous and the opposite to pushy? Actually asking after each test and explanation if you were happy and wanting to go ahead.
    Will keep you informed, operation booked for 10/7/06
  • susi
    susi Posts: 717 Forumite
    I have enquired with Westfield if they cover this, apparently the only way is to have your GP refer you, then you will be able to claim a % of your consultation fee back. Not sure if a GP could refer you to one of the cheaper places or would it have to be a hospital, anyone know??????
  • This is a re-post of my first post in another thread on this subject.

I've had a quick look through the posts, and they all seem pretty positive, but I would advise you to think again - THERE CAN BE MEDICAL COMPLICATIONS!

I know, because I had the operation and have complications that have been the bane of my life for over 10 years now.

I've not checked recently, but the USA, home of cosmetic surgery, would not allow this operation because they regarded it as too risky. Admittedly safety has improved, but at the expense of people like myself. Do you fancy paying to be a medical guinea pig?

Look at the complications listed on https://www.lasermyeye.org.

In Feb '05, why did Which?, publish an article saying:

"Two well-respected clinics that do divulge details have told us that about 5 per cent of people who undergo Lasik treatment experience complications."?

This means if you have both eyes done, you have a 1 in 10 chance of having complications!

I hope I'm not infringing copyright by quoting the Which? conclusion.

"Laser eye surgery is a great development but it's not risk free. Our research shows that some clinics aren't giving patients the information they need to make informed choices.

We want the government to enforce the tougher standards recommended by the parliamentary inquiry. And we'd like all clinics to publish details of their complication rates, with information monitored by an independent body. We also want sanctions, to deter clinics from giving misleading advice or unsuitable treatment.

Until then, patients must protect themselves. Always ask for the surgeon's track record and whether there's anything in your medical history that makes you unsuitable for laser treatment."

I wouldn't put much store in the a positive answer from the last quesion. From dealing with some of the top UK eye surgeons over the last 10 years, my opinion is that the unfortunate minority that have complications are considered a price the surgeons are willing to pay to exploit this great 'once-in-a-lifetime' moneymaking oportunity placed in front of a previously academic group of experts.

I read one poster on this board talk about insurance. If you're considering having this operation, ask the company how much their insurance premiums are increasing year on year. Premiums are going through the roof because of claims.

You can get many enthusiastic recommendations from people who have had successful operations, and are very happy with the results. To my mind, this is like asking someone who's survived a game of Russian Roulette if the game is safe, and getting the answer 'Yes, look at me, I played and I survived!'.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

- to see the old post and the subsequent discussion, go to : http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=89895&page=4
    "Our remedies oft in ourselves do lie
    Which we ascribe to Heaven"
    - All's well that ends well (I.1)
  • $17mma
    $17mma Posts: 2,619 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have been contemplating this but am sooo scared that something will go wrong. And it if does it will happen to me :eek:

I am going to hunt around for a good deal and get a consultation done and then consider. I miss my free from glasses wearing days.

I will keep an eye on this thread for offers.
    All it takes for evil to succeed is for a good man to do nothing!
  • $17mma
    $17mma Posts: 2,619 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    johnfrith wrote:
    This is a re-post of my first post in another thread on this subject.

I've had a quick look through the posts, and they all seem pretty positive, but I would advise you to think again - THERE CAN BE MEDICAL COMPLICATIONS!

I know, because I had the operation and have complications that have been the bane of my life for over 10 years now.

I've not checked recently, but the USA, home of cosmetic surgery, would not allow this operation because they regarded it as too risky. Admittedly safety has improved, but at the expense of people like myself. Do you fancy paying to be a medical guinea pig?

Look at the complications listed on www.lasermyeye.org.

In Feb '05, why did Which?, publish an article saying:

"Two well-respected clinics that do divulge details have told us that about 5 per cent of people who undergo Lasik treatment experience complications."?

This means if you have both eyes done, you have a 1 in 10 chance of having complications!

I hope I'm not infringing copyright by quoting the Which? conclusion.

"Laser eye surgery is a great development but it's not risk free. Our research shows that some clinics aren't giving patients the information they need to make informed choices.

We want the government to enforce the tougher standards recommended by the parliamentary inquiry. And we'd like all clinics to publish details of their complication rates, with information monitored by an independent body. We also want sanctions, to deter clinics from giving misleading advice or unsuitable treatment.

Until then, patients must protect themselves. Always ask for the surgeon's track record and whether there's anything in your medical history that makes you unsuitable for laser treatment."

I wouldn't put much store in the a positive answer from the last quesion. From dealing with some of the top UK eye surgeons over the last 10 years, my opinion is that the unfortunate minority that have complications are considered a price the surgeons are willing to pay to exploit this great 'once-in-a-lifetime' moneymaking oportunity placed in front of a previously academic group of experts.

I read one poster on this board talk about insurance. If you're considering having this operation, ask the company how much their insurance premiums are increasing year on year. Premiums are going through the roof because of claims.

You can get many enthusiastic recommendations from people who have had successful operations, and are very happy with the results. To my mind, this is like asking someone who's survived a game of Russian Roulette if the game is safe, and getting the answer 'Yes, look at me, I played and I survived!'.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

- to see the old post and the subsequent discussion, go to : http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=89895&page=4

Thanky ou for this post, I was considering having it done in the USA as my cousin who was as blind as a bat had hers done and she is living a new life without glasses and contacts.

But yes there will always be a risk involved that has to be considered.
    All it takes for evil to succeed is for a good man to do nothing!
  • gchapman
    gchapman Posts: 31 Forumite
    I can't preach enough about the new Ortho-K scheme i'm on... ITS GREAT!!!!!

I was considering laser treatment as i was so fed up of wearing glasses for the past 10 years and my eyesight is pretty awful without. I had gone to many consultations with various companies... Optimax, Centre for Sight etc. They had all said that i would need to wait until my prescription had stop changing over a 2 year period otherwise the laser treatment would be pointless, so fair enough i waited.

In the meantime my other half was watching TV one day when he came across an article on Ortho-K. As some of you might be aware or maybe not.. it is a process of wearing hard gas permeable lenses will you sleep ONLY which reshape your eyes. Put them in at night take them out in the morning and hey presto 20:20 vision all throughout the day without wearing a thing!! They are also in the process of developing fixing lotions so you can put them in for a night or two and have perfect vision for a few months at a time!!
    Check it out.... http://www.orthoklenses.com/
    Price for consultation cost me £100 and then all I pay is £35 a month which isn't too much more than normal contact lenses and believe me its well worth it!!!
    They call me Mr Pig!
  • dixiechic
    dixiechic Posts: 9 Forumite
    Following tips on the chat forum I investigated laser surgery on E-Bay and was fortunate to find that Optimax were offering treatment on both eyes for £795. The listing on E-Bay is packed with useful questions from potential customers and direct and honest replies from the Optimax M.D. Russell Ambrose. I trawled through the hundreds of feedback comments from customers who had pursued laser treatment and found that extremely useful when making my mind up. I was also influenced by a friend who was treated very sucessfully by Optimax in Liverpool last year. I booked a consultation in Bristol but was thrown off-balance when I was told that I was unsuitable for the posh/quick Lasik treatment but could have epi-lasek treatment; more painful in recovery and takes longer to achieve the final result. I had a -5.5 in one eye and -6.0 in the other and really felt that I wanted to go ahead so had epi-lasek 3 weeks ago. The op was painless but the recovery was unbelievably painful, I was in sheer agony for 24 hours, I couldn't open my eyes and just lay in a darkened room. Once the pain eased it was replaced by discomfort and within 48 hours the eyes felt a bit gritty but not painful. I was able to drive within 7 days and experienced a significant improvement in my sight on a daily basis during the first week however it will be 3-6 months before the final result is known as the eyes are still healing.

I opted to have an add-on to the basic surgery called Wavefront which was an extra £150 per eye. the total cost of treatment was £1095.

I was very pleased with the cost of treatment, I was very pleased with the Doctor who did the treatment I was very impressed by the customer service on the national helpline but I am sorry to say that the customer service and care at the Bristol Branch was appalling. Optimax may pile high and sell cheap but I found the process of having an operation on my eyes quite traumatic. I would have happily paid more to have been given an efficient, professional and courteous service by the staff at the clinic. I was sent home unable to open my eyes with a plastic bag full of medication and an A4 sheet of instructions. Some of the medicines were not labelled and it involved a lengthy process of elimination (during which time I was screaming for pain relief) for someone to work out which drugs were which and how and when they were to be administered.

I must stress that I felt complete confidence in the Doctor who did the the operation and the operation proceedure was superb.

I was warned by the Doctor both at consultaion and treatment that I would experience extreme pain. She was very honest and told me it would be very bad but she also told me that I would get through it. I was prepared for pain and was acutely aware of the risks of the operation and the potential side effects. You have to demonstrate an understanding of all the risks and potential problems on more than one occasion and are required to do a 'test' (tick boxes) before the operation to prove that you understand. At any time you can change your mind and are never under any pressure to go through with it. You are never sold the benefits of laser treatment by anyone at the clinic. The corporate 'marketing' is just to get you to the clinic once you are there you are on your own in terms of deciding whether laser surgery is right for you. Optimax provide you with the facts and the expertise and leave it to you to decide.

ps: Optimax have a complaints proceedure which I will be using to bring thier attention to failings at the Bristol clinic.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure