Changes To StayWarm

Options

Comments

• martint123
    Options
    Am I missing something here?
    If you leave in early spring, what are you going to do untill late autumn? Use torches and camping a stove?
    From what I've seen, if it's cheaper elsewhere and the rate is capped, then go for it before they increase it, but for no more than 2 years.

You possibly are missing something.

Staywarm is a fixed price, unmetered supplier. So the question was if it was better to change now to a cheaper supplier or stay with a fixed price, unmetered one whilst the cold weather was coming.
  • djohn2002uk
    Options
    I didn't realise it was specifically referring to leaving or joining Staywarm.
    After reading the various posts on here, not only in this thread I supose I have become blind to the fact that anyone would still want to join Staywarm at any time of year.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    So much imput regarding individuals usage regarding Staywarm and whether or not it suits "them". I'll throw something else into the arena.

We joined Staywarm at the onset of winter 2004. We found it strange not to be turning everything off to "save". Then in Feb of 2005, we bought a holiday mobile home a few miles away and for many weeks during the year, we spent time there. Each few days & weeks, I remarked that Staywarm was benefiting from our absence as we weren't using our fuel. As we haven't used fuel half as much as we would have done, had we been at home, no doubt we will use fuel freely this winter.

But come the spring ?, we will have to have a rethink.
  • ehs34
    ehs34 Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    I had a letter a few days ago from Staywarm advising me that my monthly payment was being increased but not to worry I could stay with Staywarm for another year.
    They then told me that my monthly payment was being increased to £84.27, an increase of 22.5 %.
    They then gave me figures for useage which they had calculated (!!!) for 12 months usage which were completely wrong. I did my own calculations which are much lower than theirs. I have asked them to explain how they calculated their figures but I don't expect them to tell me. I think they plucked them out of thin air. Last year they said they were taking me off Staywarm because I was a high user but when I presented them with my calculations they backed down. I think they are trying to close down Staywarm. I will keep you advised.
  • millie
    millie Posts: 1,443 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    i received my renewal letter this morning, its increasing from £63.25 to 80.32.
    27% increase. The new payment start on 24th December. The reading for electric they have given me seems to be less than I have actually used, but will have to check it again later. As for the gas I havent a clue how to work that out. I will probably stick with it for the winter, and then reconsider in about April, but does anyone know if this allowed or do you have to go for the whole 12 months if I do not cancel now
  • Graham1
    Graham1 Posts: 445 Forumite
    Options
    You're allowed to cancel at any time. Just the usual 28 days notice.
  • ehs34
    Options
    Hi Millie,
    My calculations for converting gas readings to electricity readings were made by using a British Gas formula from one of my old bills: gas units used x imperial to metric conversion factor(2.83) x volume conversion factor(1.022640) x calorific value(39.6) divided by kilowatt hour conversion factor(3.6) = kilowatt hours used. This is probably not strictly accurate any more due to changing calorific value however it should give you a reasonable figure to work from. If anybody knows a better method I would be pleased to hear it.
    On friday 21st I received a phone call asking me if I would be willing to let them carry out a survey. In view of what Martin said I agreed and they will be coming sometime this next week. I will post the outcome.
  • ehs34
    Options
    Hi again Millie,
    As Djohn said in an earlier post check if your gas meter is imperial or metric. If metric then don't use the imperial to metric conversion factor (2.83).
  • sallysaver
    Options
    We too have received notification from Staywarm/powergen of an impending 28% increase due to start 9/12. We live in a modern bungalow with every conceivable energy saving devices you could have. I have never, ever abused the fact that you can have appliances and central heating running all day and every day for the same monthly payment. For instance, if we were going out for the day, we would automatically turn the heating off. It is in our nature not to 'waste' things. However, on the other hand, a friend of ours is with Staywarm and their central heating runs forever. They are not careful one little bit, but up to now there has been no notification of any increase for them. So, like others on this site, we too will be looking for alternatives come Spring. Incidentally, does anyone know if once you leave Staywarm, is there anything preventing you re-joining again and does anyone know Staywarm's definition of a high user? I understand they are higher than Ofgems figures which are quoted in Post 1 by Martin. Thank you
  • madstitcher
    Options
    My in laws have staywarm, they live in a 3 bed semi. Their monthly bill has gone up to more than £70 a month. We think this price is high (considering we pay about £20 a month less than this) and are trying to get new quotes from different places for them.
    But, we're having trouble finding out what their annual usage is, they say (in laws) they don't have any figures to say what their usage is. Has anybody got any ideas if this is the case, and if not, how do we find out what they are? Should staywarm provide them for us?
    Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport