PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

The "have a look at this!" thread II

Options

Comments

• StumpyPumpy
    StumpyPumpy Posts: 1,458 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Okays...being in questioning mode at the moment. Can anyone explain to me why some people deliberately wreck a house that is being repossessed from them please?

I would have thought that the more "wrecked" a place is then the lower price it will fetch and the greater the amount of money the person who has been repossessed will owe the mortgage company and have to pay back at some point.

So why do so when you are going to owe all the more as a consequence? Do the wreckers think its the mortgage company's fault they have been repossessed AND not realise they will still be liable for any shortfall and, as a consequence, they're out to "wreak vengeance" and don't realise that will be costing THEM personally money at some point? Apologies for naïve question...but I've often wondered...
    Of course, in this case there is no way to know if the owner wrecked the place or not. It might be that it has spent 6 years without the cash to do any maintenance, or maybe the owner was a heavy smoker, or maybe they simply moved out years ago.

Plenty of houses appear on rightmove with "in need of total refurbishment" and I think Huh? there is nothing wrong with it! Some EAs seem to believe that a kitchen than hasn't been replaced within the last year or 2 is worthy of that title or, God forbid a living room with carpet rather than cheap laminate flooring or a master bedroom without an ensuite. (I suspect these EAs have a new iPhone and contract every 18 months or so and have little idea of what the real world is like).

But to answer your question, "Why some people deliberately wreck their house..." It is just like asking "Why do some people smoke when they know it is killing them?" or "Why do some people run up thousands of £££ of debt with nothing to show for it?" and the answer is, you'd really have to ask them. Even then, they may not know themselves.

SP
    Come on people, it's not difficult: lose means to be unable to find, loose means not being fixed in place. So if you have a hole in your pocket you might lose your loose change.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Chance would have been a fine thing to have the EA that sold me my current house making out it was worse than it was....rather than me dropping in on them, after the event, to tell them JUST how much I am having to do on this house that (according to them) didn't need much.

I couldn't resist the chance to see their embarrassed faces when I called them on that.

Duly saw them go a bit "whiter shade of pale" when I popped in to tell it like it is about the place:rotfl:. Well...it made me feel just a little bit better for telling them what a load of blimmin' liers I could see they had been:T
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,514 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Can anyone explain to me why some people deliberately wreck a house that is being repossessed from them please?

In what sometimes seemed my never ending quest for a place to buy I saw at least three different scenarios for damaged repos.

1. Smashed up through vengeance.
    2. Sad family with multiple problems, depressed single mother, one physically disabled child, and one mentally disturbed. The second child had banged and battered the walls, the plaster was probably blown, result huge holes revealing laths beneath.
    3. Edwardian house gutted for architectural salvage.

And I did find myself amazed at the different defintions EAs had for what needed to be done to a house. In need of full refurb sometimes just meant 'dated with swirly brown carpets' and was thus interchangeable with 'a house on which you could put your own mark' but at othertimes meant 'this house is a total wreck'.
  • cazmanian_minx
    cazmanian_minx Posts: 4,048 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Nuclear bunker, sleeps 150, has own hospital and BBC studio....

http://www.futurepropertyauctions.co.uk/property_details.asp?id=92684
  • Strapped
    Strapped Posts: 8,158 Forumite
    Options
    toozie wrote: »
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-44765627.html

You couldn't put on any weight living here, and using the loo or cooker!

That's feet-in-the-bath to use the loo for me then!
    They deem him their worst enemy who tells them the truth. -- Plato
  • Strapped
    Strapped Posts: 8,158 Forumite
    Options
    gallygirl wrote: »
    Nah, too much airport noise :D.

Only on Mon, Weds and Thurs :rotfl:http://www.shetland.gov.uk/transport/OutSkerriesflights.asp

Once upon a time, I used to know all the little routes up there :cool:
    They deem him their worst enemy who tells them the truth. -- Plato
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Strapped wrote: »
    Only on Mon, Weds and Thurs :rotfl:http://www.shetland.gov.uk/transport/OutSkerriesflights.asp

Once upon a time, I used to know all the little routes up there :cool:
    8 flights a day on a Thursday :eek::eek::eek:. Forget it :D.

Love the:
    "N.B Goes via Whalsay on request.". Reckon I'll try that on next Sleazyjet flight - "can you drop me off at Luton instead of Gatwick please" :rotfl:.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • purrrcat
    purrrcat Posts: 190 Forumite
    Options
    Nuclear bunker, sleeps 150, has own hospital and BBC studio....

http://www.futurepropertyauctions.co.uk/property_details.asp?id=92684

Would make a quirky hotel lol
  • Melaniep101
    Melaniep101 Posts: 637 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sorry if this one has been posted before, but just came across this:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-29678577.html

The bathroom on pages 16,17 and 18 makes me dizzy!
  • CH27
    CH27 Posts: 5,531 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry if this one has been posted before, but just came across this:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-29678577.html

The bathroom on pages 16,17 and 18 makes me dizzy!

My poor eyes :eek:
    Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family