PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2013 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Barbeduk
    Barbeduk Posts: 869 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Oh my I am way behind on the thread! Will have a coffee in a minute and catch up.

Have now spent a total of £55.91 for the week and have run out of fruit AGAIN! Don't really need anything else though as have been trying to restock the freezer with bargains.

Going to try a SW recipe tonight, using quark and fromage frais instead of a cheese sauce on pasta. Let's just see if it passes the DH taste test!

Stay warm everyone.
    Make £2020 in 2020 £178.81/£2020
    SPC 13 #51
    Feb Grocery Challenge £4.68/£200
  • lushlifesaver
    Options
    Tournament off - win as it makes for a cheaper weekend but still gutted

Off out for dinner tonight with bfs parents - half the price it would have been at the tournament for us both though! And no take away now on Saturday or Sunday so money saved there too :)
    Daughter born 26/03/14
    Son born 13/02/21
  • jumblejack
    jumblejack Posts: 6,599 Forumite
    Options
    Made my herby cheese breads today with Stilton. They are scrummy.

We had past it peppers so made a pasta bake for dinner earlier.

Soup in a be there in a min with the herby cheese breads and mini quiches for tomorrow's dinner will be rustled up before I sit down.

Enjoyed going to the park with the kids this afternoon but so tired now.

Hope you are all warm and not too many suffering from power cuts.

:)
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • couldsavemore_2
    Options
    I have pulled out some odd bits of meat that had previously been cooked oh made some home made chips served with some beans all together made another cheap meal from freezer

it's good to see all the stored food in freezer going down still seems to be loads in there.

we are planning to make a fresh curry tomorrow with chicken from the freezer.
    You can if you think you can .
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    xspender...chocolate banana bread ???? have u a recipe u could share...that sounds lovely

ta tess
    onwards and upwards
  • Bluegreen143
    Bluegreen143 Posts: 3,054 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yoghurt Curry with Pakoras
    Serves 4

300g natural yoghurt
    150g gram flour (also called besan flour)
    1 fresh green chilli, finely sliced
    1/2 tsp turmeric powder
    2 tsp sugar
    Salt, to taste
    1 tsp cumin seeds
    10 black peppercorns
    6 cloves
    2 tbsp ghee (optional)
    1/2 tsp chilli powder

For the pakoras
    150g gram flour
    1 medium onion, finely chopped
    Big pinch cumin seeds
    Four big handfuls frozen peas I added these as the recipe was a bit too "veg light" for me
    Vegetable oil for deep frying

Whisk the yoghurt with the gram flour, green chilli, turmeric, sugar, salt and 300ml cold water.

Heat a couple of tablespoons of vegetable oil in a pan and add the cumin seeds, peppercorns and cloves.

Pour the well-blended yoghurt mix and cook, stirring regularly, until it has a thick consistency and doesn't smell or taste like raw flour. Take off the heat once cooked to avoid burning.

To make the pakoras, make a thick batter with the ingredients and as much water as necessary (don't make this too thin).

Heat the oil and when it starts smoking, reduce the heat and drop in 3 separate tsp of mixture. Cook for a few minutes until golden and scoop out with a slotted spoon, adding the next batch afterwards. Add to the yoghurt curry once cooked.

Heat the ghee in a small pan and add the chilli powder. Alternatively, I poured out a couple of tablespoons of the hot frying oil and added the chilli powder. Pour over the curry and serve without stirring.

I added roast butternut squash as well, as I had some in the fridge. You could add any veg such as cauliflower or mushrooms, or serve stir-fried veg on the side instead. I serve with chapattis, but naan breads or rice would also be nice. I actually halved the recipe to make two portions and it was lovely, and so unusual!

I've added to the index.
    Part time working mum | Married in 2014 | DS born 2015 & DD born 2018 | Allegedly attempting to be mortgage free - diary here
  • Bluegreen143
    Bluegreen143 Posts: 3,054 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Small spends today, went into Mr M to get some vodka (separate budget!) and also got YS white rolls for 35p (half price) and 99p for two pieces of haddock (reduced from £3.05 :D). The rolls are for OH's bacon butties tomorrow and the haddock for making battered fish and chips next week :D (obviously have frozen it!)
    Part time working mum | Married in 2014 | DS born 2015 & DD born 2018 | Allegedly attempting to be mortgage free - diary here
  • Solstice_3
    Options
    NSD Today Yay! Spend of £5.48 yesterday on milk and other stuff, some treats included! Got to go out and buy veg for Sunday's roast tomorrow but other than that trying to get as many NSDs until 24th Jan!
    Stay at home Mum to DS Oct 2011 and DD Dec 2013
    Grocery Challenge

April 298.08/300.00 NSD 14 May £213.56/£300 NSD 4
  • she_who_can_not_cook
    she_who_can_not_cook Posts: 650 Forumite
    edited 18 January 2013 at 10:40PM
    Options
    loveasale wrote: »
    Still within my target this month-
    Has anyone berm to Asd* lately? They have an advert on TV saying lots at 50p?
    I'm afraid to go in , as I'm frightened I will spend loads! :eek:
    Just wondered if it worth going in just for the 50p items?
    not very frugal but my oh likes pot noodle i have never purchased so may i use the self service but to be honest it does matter what anyone thinks anyway my stuff is usually value/smart price anyway
    Gc 2013 +26 -5. -4 -7 -14 -15 -10.-8.20 +15p+30+5.80 Dec +9 GROCERY challenge 2014 Jan -2Feb -3 March -1.50 April +5.40 May +4.90 June -3.July 16.50/85

God bless my sweet "old man" Goldie that died in the early hours of 27 th March please see him on my avatar
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi everyone :)

Right, i have never made soup before, so have been trying to come up with some nice ideas.
    So, my new slow cooker came with some recipes, and these 3 soups were included.
    I thought i'd post them here as i have heard a few people talking about soups, and i wrote them out earlier for a different thread where someone was asking about freezing soups.
    They are slow cooker, vegetarian soups.

I am just about managing to stay within my budget, which is good. I think i'm going to start meal planning breakfasts and snacks, as it helps :)

Anyway, here are the soups:

All of these serve 4

Leek and potato soup:
    25g butter
    250g thinly sliced potatoes
    900g thinly slices leeks
    15g Plain flour
    1pint veg stock
    Salt and pepper to taste
    1/4 pt milk.

Heat the butter in a large pan and fry veg in it for 2-3mins
    Stir in the flour and add stock
    season to taste
    bring to boil, stirring continuously.
    place mixture in the slow cooker for 3-4hrs (HIGH) or 8-9hrs (LOW)
    Add milk for the last 30mins.

Chunky Veg Chilli:

1courgette, cut into 1cm pieces
    1pepper (any colour, i prefer red), chopped roughly
    75g chopped onion
    75g chopped celery
    2 cloves garlic, crushed
    1-3 tsp chilli powder (depending on your personal preference)
    1tsp dried oregano
    1/2 tsp ground cumin
    2xtins of chopped tomatoes
    1 tin sweetcorn
    1 tin kidney beans
    1 jar of salsa

Add everything to the slow cooker, stir
    Cook on HIGH for 4-5 hrs, or LOW for 9-10hrs.

Carrot and Lentil Soup:
    2tsp olive oil
    2tsp grated ginger
    1tsp each of cumin, chilli powder, curry powder and ground coriander
    1 and a half red onions, diced finely
    2 parsnips, chopped
    2 sticks celery
    600g carrots, slices
    180g red split lentils, washed
    50g brown basmati rice
    1.3 lires veg stock
    2tsp lime juice
    4tsp chopped coriander
    1 can coconut milk

Heat oil in pan, add ginger, cumin, chilli powder, curry powder and ground coriander, fry on high heat for 3 mins.

Turn down heat and add veggies.

In a seperate pan, boil the lentils for 10mins.

Drain lentils an add to the slow cooker, along with the contents of the other pan, plus the rice.

Stir in the stock.

Cook for 3-4hours (HIGH) or 6-7hours (LOW).

Using a jug/ladle, remove half the soup and set aside.
    Add the coconut milk, lime juice and coriander to the slow cooker, and using a hand blender, liquidize the soup.

Then return the un-blended half of the soup, to the slow cooker.

Stir all together, and continue to heat on HIGH for another 20mins.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure