PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2011 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Wow. A result MrsR!
  • Hi All

MrsRogers I find that if you have a quick glance down ur till recipt they are very good at refunding DOUBLE the price on duplicated goods. Once got charged double for a big sack of dog food n they still refund £22+ back. Pays to check doesn't it. I neva use to but do now!! its amazing how often things get put through wrong.

Well been down town and had a very sensible shop.Lidl, B&M, n finally Tesco. Spent £91.63. This sounds alot but it has cut down for us. Not all groc. I have updated sig. Feel i am doin quite well and hubby also watching/cutting back without moaning about going in so many shops for weekly shopping.

Keep up the gd work folks
  • MrsRogers
    MrsRogers Posts: 631 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    fingersxed wrote: »
    Hi All

MrsRogers I find that if you have a quick glance down ur till recipt they are very good at refunding DOUBLE the price on duplicated goods. Once got charged double for a big sack of dog food n they still refund £22+ back. Pays to check doesn't it. I neva use to but do now!! its amazing how often things get put through wrong.

Well been down town and had a very sensible shop.Lidl, B&M, n finally Tesco. Spent £91.63. This sounds alot but it has cut down for us. Not all groc. I have updated sig. Feel i am doin quite well and hubby also watching/cutting back without moaning about going in so many shops for weekly shopping.

Keep up the gd work folks

I totally agree.. before doing the grocery challenge I NEVER checked my receipt ever. But now because I am in the habit of updating my signature for the challenge I always check and as fingersxed says it really does pay to check.. spotted a couple of errors now in total.
    Goal - We want to be mortgages free :j

I Quit Smoking March 2010 :T
  • There's another New Year Resolution for me then: check my receipts for errors...
  • redkids1972
    redkids1972 Posts: 417 Forumite
    edited 15 January 2011 at 10:33PM
    Hi all been out for my big shop and I spent £56 I have very little budget for the remaining month however I defo have enough food to last me till FEB will just need bread and milk. Im going to se this month through and from FEB reduce it to £200 as its gunna be a shorter month. Im confident this can be done. We are eating better than ever before and thinking before any purchase Martin will be proud
    New to comping 11/2/2013

Feb wins to date: 0lympic messenger bag, £100 :beer:
  • well done redkids!
  • SilverCo
    SilverCo Posts: 160 Forumite
    MrsRogers wrote: »
    I totally agree.. before doing the grocery challenge I NEVER checked my receipt ever. But now because I am in the habit of updating my signature for the challenge I always check and as fingersxed says it really does pay to check.. spotted a couple of errors now in total.

Totally agree - it's also well worth keeping an eye on the till when buying whoopsied goods. I almost got stung for £3.99 in Sainsbugs last night for a pizza that was reduced to £1.25!

Going to have to declare an overspend I'm afraid :o Am over by £4.18 and still have until 31 Jan to go. Am a little upset, but then when you consider I spent nearly £70 on the 'non-vatable' stockpile a couple of weeks ago, I guess I'm not doing too badly! It's a learning curve after all :)

Hope everyone's having a great weekend. Hugs to all that need them. :grouphug:

Silver x
    1st LBM :idea: 21.12.09 Total Debt - £21049.95.
    Final LBM :idea: 16.8.13 Total Debt - £16583
    DFW Nerd #1282 - Proud to be Dealing with My Debts! :D
    :A SPC Member #1182 :A
  • hex2
    hex2 Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I am up to £312.43 against a budget of £450 and it is less than half way through the month :o

A good £100 of this is stuff for the next few months as I bulk bought on offer pet food to get free delivery, and I will not be able to shop child free anymore so I have bulk bought a few things we like in Aldi/Lidl that will get us through a few months. 6 chickens for £20 in the co-op, and £5 on a gammon joint didn't help, but they will help me when I have no time next month. I want to do a big butchers visit before the end of the month as well which will be c£100 so unlikely that I will make it.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • Evening all,

Just popping on to update sig and have a ramble really.

I have started doing online shopping again which not only means that I can use As*A (the store that delivers to my area is out of the way so always use the local Tes*cs) but I also don't end up spending a huge amount on stuff I don't need. I went off online shopping as I was sick and tired of getting limp looking f&v or 6 packs of yogs a day before their use by but I am no longer buying my f&v from them and I now know to e-mail them if I am not happy with the delivered products so fingers crossed things should work out ok.

Apart from that I have been spending the majority of my time looking for car insurance. I can't understand why mine has gone up sooooo much, surely if you have not claimed it should go down:think: We are thinking of selling one of our cars anyhow as I really can not justify having two anymore, just not sure how to go about flogging it. Need to get it done soon though as DH is going away soon for 6 months with work and I haven't a clue about them sort of things:whistle:

Anyway,I have managed to spend £139.42 leavin me with £110.58 to last till then end of the month (31st in this house).I have fair bit of meat in the freeze so should be able to knock up some meals from that, bonus is that I am not feeding DH as he is away with work till the end of feb so just me & my 2 DS's to see to, more than manageable. Need to do another online shop as kids need packed lunch stuf but will be able to push out for delivery on wed/thrs so happy with that:)

Not sure if anyone seen my post earlier but in it I mentioned doing a June box. Basically I will be putting bis away so come June I can have a virtually spend free month (except f&v) so far I have:
    Large Gammon Joint (1/2 price)
    2 packets Lunchbox treats (penguins breakaway etc £3 for 3)
    Surf Liquid 58 washes (1/2 price)
    8 rashers bacon (double pack 3 for £10)
    500g Mince (double pack 3 for £10)
    3tins of beans (3 for £1)
    1 large diluting juice (3 for £4)

that was basically extras I got in my last shop, nothing I wouldn't have bought anyway so just been putting the spares away for June. Hope that makes sense.

Best shoot and update sig as I have droned on for long enough.

Take care
    Just little old me!
  • Hi all,

Just wanted to pop in & update my spends...I spent £3.34 at Aldi for 2 yogurts & 2 packs of eggs, then went to Asda & spent £31...but I STILL didn't get everything I needed...the place was packed with people who don't realise how much room they take up in the aisles & the shop was out of loads of things I needed (value vinegar, value baby wipes, steak) so I'll have to go somewhere else this week...Is anyone else really struggling with their budgets like I am? I'm sticking to my list but theses price hikes are making my £40 weekly
    target practically impossible! I certainly think Asda isn't so cheap at all & will most def stick with Aldi most of the time from now on! (Rant over!) Hope everyone has a lovely weekend!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure