Weezl's phase 1- recipe testing and frugalisation- come one, come all!

Options

Comments

• weezl74
    weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
    Options
    well, good morning and welcome to batch day :) :j:j:j

if it would help and people would find it useful, please feel free to post your do list and have the satisfaction of ticking them off :)

storage: Can I recommend that people take your potatoes and onions out of the plastic packaging and put them in a cardboard box, as this will stop them going slimy. Ideally if you can put them somewhere dark and close the lid of the box that is ideal :)

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
  • FrankieM
    FrankieM Posts: 2,454 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Morning,
    Thank you so much for the bread making methods. I think I'm going to give the 'no knead' recipe a go first and if that doesn't work I'll try the other Paul Merrett recipe. Or is the Paul Merrett one easier?

weezl Is there a new thread to post on? Or is that starting tomorrow or not at all?

I'm just having a cuppa, then have to tidy the kitchen (looks like students have been living in it) then I'm going to work my way through Allegra's batch cooking list.
  • weezl74
    Options
    FrankieM wrote: »
    Morning,
    Thank you so much for the bread making methods. I think I'm going to give the 'no knead' recipe a go first and if that doesn't work I'll try the other Paul Merrett recipe. Or is the Paul Merrett one easier?

weezl Is there a new thread to post on? Or is that starting tomorrow or not at all?

I'm just having a cuppa, then have to tidy the kitchen (looks like students have been living in it) then I'm going to work my way through Allegra's batch cooking list.

LOL frankie, great minds think alike! I've just started one :)

cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
  • shanks77
    shanks77 Posts: 1,182 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Good luck Frankie i will be doing some tonight after work depending on when shopping arrives (between 6&8pm) it will be fun im sure and we can all help and support one another on our journey and if we have a new thread then we wont be jamming up this one with our little bits of important trivia. I will be thinking of you whilst at work and look forward to catching up with your day later on.:)
  • nopot2pin
    nopot2pin Posts: 5,721 Forumite
    Options
    Good Luck all :D
    I do hope it goes well for everyone....
    Will post my well wishes on the other thread too....

:D
    Off to bed now...nighty nite :o
  • weezl74
    Options
    nopot2pin wrote: »
    Good Luck all :D
    I do hope it goes well for everyone....
    Will post my well wishes on the other thread too....

:D
    Off to bed now...nighty nite :o
    thanks potty :)

new thread for anyone interested

• frugalmumof4
    frugalmumof4 Posts: 102 Forumite
    Options
    good luck to all the testers!
    weezl, i did a week of your recipes last week and we were all stuffed that was 2 adults and 4 children, and I cooked up the same quantities as you wrote for 4!
    Today I have adapted the thrifty cottage pie to make it vegetarian.

substituted the mince for asda meatless frozen mince. Used 200g soaked in 100mls of water, then simmered up with the grated onion, carrot, tomatoes, vege stock cube, and a little extra water.

for the potato topping we diced potatoes into 2 cm size, cooked them for 8 minutes until softened, drained, then put them back in the saucepan and drizzled on some vegetable oil, gave them a little salt and pepper and a stir, then used them to top the cottage pie.

Verdict this evening was 'delicious' and still a portion and a half ,left over for my hubbys lunch box!
  • FrankieM
    FrankieM Posts: 2,454 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    frugalmum I have 4 children too. I was wondering how old yours were? Trying to decide whether I can just cook some of the recipes for 4.
    Would you mind saying which recipes in particular as well?
  • frugalmumof4
    frugalmumof4 Posts: 102 Forumite
    Options
    hi,
    my children are 15,13,11 and 4, then there is dh and me!

Trying to think which meals i did last week, just going to wander off and see if i can find my list.............................

ok- we had the chickpea crumble, but there looked to be not enough potatoes in that recipe for 6, so i kept peeling potatoes until i felt there we enough and added extra vegetable stock, and i did make up another half quantity of the crumble to go on the top. Think i also added some carrots to give it a bit more flavour also.

Weezls vege burgers, these were delicious and i did the exact quanties, we all had 2 burgers each, served with carrots and peas oh and some onion gravy. I baked them in oven instead of frying them, oiled a tray cooked for 10 minutes, then flipped over and did for another 10.

Baked bean curry,I cooked up stated recipe and that was plenty for us for 6, my 4 year old only has a small portion.

Chana Mutter Masala and rice- that was enough for 6 servings along with rice

Sweetcorn fritters with hm chutney and potatoes, this was my favourite recipe, I think I used 450g of sweetcorn and same quantities for everything else, these were gorgeous! and I made up all the chutney, and froze half.

Thrift cottage pie- made up with same quantities, using soya mince, dh has a portion left for his lunch today and tomorrow!

Today we have the risi bisi recipe- im using 250g of dried peas, which is less as mine havent tried those peas yet! same quantities for everything else, but using quorn bacon instead of regular bacon. Not sure how far this will stretch, but I think this will go around the 6 of us, with weezls homemade bread on the side!

Will report back how the other meals go!
  • ariarnia
    ariarnia Posts: 4,225 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    weezl74 wrote: »
    Morning all :)

I've been reminding myself of a few good things about our project and feeling pretty excited.

I realised the testers are due to start on the 6th April. I only started this thread on 6th feb! Just 2 little months,

Got this a little late (my fault for not checking) so I'll be a week behind everyone else. I've got some half decent scales so that shouldn't be a problem - thanks for the offer. I'll place an order with asda online tomorrow and buy any thing they don't have in stock from the local tesco.
    Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes, including you. Anne Lamott

It's amazing how those with a can-do attitude and willingness to 'pitch in and work' get all the luck, isn't it?

Please consider buying some pet food and giving it to your local food bank collection or animal charity. Animals aren't to blame for the cost of living crisis.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure