Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • new mortgageeee
    • By new mortgageeee 20th Feb 16, 5:53 PM
    • 112Posts
    • 251Thanks
    new mortgageeee
    Can definitely do better!
    • 20th Feb 16, 5:53 PM
    Can definitely do better! 20th Feb 16 at 5:53 PM
    Seemingly like many newbies, I've been lurking for a while - finally thought I'd take the plunge and start a new diary. Mainly for motivation I suppose - hope to get and share some great ideas too!

I bought a shared-ownership flat back in 2012 (hence the "new mortgageeee" name!) - I know there's much debate over their usefulness (and value for money), but it's worked out well for me so far. To date I've paid off 70% of my 25% share (OP 250-350 a month) - leaving me with approx. 35k equity for a "real" deposit when I'm ready to move. If I'd have stayed renting that amount would have been an impossible dream!!

MFiT - T4 #65 hoping to clear the remaining 16,550 mortgage on my share (may be a bit of a stretch, but worth aiming for!).

I know my savings are lower than I'd like (for emergencies) - currently splitting spare money at end of month 2/3 OP 1/3 saving, but I'm sure there's more I can do to budget through the month and find extra bits and pieces - I've only just cottoned on to Swagbucks for example! Will sort out a budget spreadsheet to better plan - any suggestions or examples very welcome!

All for now, thanks for reading! May do a SB survey then will be trying to relax this evening... fingers crossed !!
    - Mortgage 1 started Oct 2016 120,000 101,700
    - Mortgage 2 started Feb 2019 30,000 28,400
    - Student loan started 2009 16,413 7,500
    + New house fund 39,750/40,000
    + Emergency savings 4,200/5,000
    + S&S ISA 320
Page 6
    • zcrat41
    • By zcrat41 2nd Jun 19, 6:00 PM
    • 1,584 Posts
    • 4,259 Thanks
    zcrat41
    Hi, really enjoyed reading your diary. Great achievements so far,
    Well done
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,583Posts Today

7,759Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • A brilliant and gripping profile of Boris Johnson by the great @JPonpolitics well worth the 15 minute read https://t.co/odelHYEbRg

• Boris Johnson is now going to be our prime minister. Worth a pause for thought, whatever your political persuasion.

• Boy they're dragging out this #conservativeleadership announcement.Three introducers now each grabbing air time. Get on with it please!

• Follow Martin