Can I buy a laptop paying instalments?

Comments

• EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Here is an example of the device Motorguy mentioned if you wanted something smaller to carry around; https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-X230-12-5-Intel-Core-i5-3rd-Gen-2-6GHz-Notebook/163695673513

Though no warranty and some damage. But comes with SSD fitted. Just an example.
  • first78
    first78 Posts: 1,044
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    EveryWhere wrote: »
    Here is an example of the device Motorguy mentioned if you wanted something smaller to carry around; https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-X230-12-5-Intel-Core-i5-3rd-Gen-2-6GHz-Notebook/163695673513

Though no warranty and some damage. But comes with SSD fitted. Just an example.

The size isn't too important really, just want something that will do the job and last for as long as possible.
  • first78
    Forumite
    The laptops mentioned, ThinkPads, can be expected to last for many years as they are built more solidly than many consumer laptops and often tend to be supported by the manufacturer for longer.

So it's not about the current price, as these laptops could easily cost £700 when new.

So you are buying a £700 laptop for £80.

That is perfect then! Just need to find one with a warranty of some sort. I'm guessing I'd be able to install Word at some point if I wanted to? Also would I be able to connect a portable hard drive to it to save photos and documents? I'm really sorry for all the question but the way, I really appreciate all the help a lot.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Looks like a Grade C to me. They've simply added A+ & B+ to eliminate the need for stating C.

Grade B - it says so in the details, right above where it gives the definitions for A+/A etc. :)

The X230 does look a better spec machine though.
  • EveryWhere
    DoaM wrote: »
    Grade B - it says so in the details, right above where it gives the definitions for A+/A etc. :)

The X230 does look a better spec machine though.

Seems the point just missed you....
  • EveryWhere
    first78 wrote: »
    That is perfect then! Just need to find one with a warranty of some sort. I'm guessing I'd be able to install Word at some point if I wanted to? Also would I be able to connect a portable hard drive to it to save photos and documents? I'm really sorry for all the question but the way, I really appreciate all the help a lot.

Ask as much as you like if, to help you to make the best decision. Better to do so, than to not ask and make a mistake.

Yes, but do check with the vendor before purchase if the laptop has a webcam. If not, we can look for another.
    What is your max budget? That you can actually afford without creating more problems for yourself.
    You don't need the latest spec, but having a solid state drive is preferable, as it makes the device snappier and more robust.

It would be really helpful to you if you have a friend that could swap drives for you and install an operating system. It's really quite easy.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Seems the point just missed you....

Seems the point was thus not well made, as I suspect I'm not the only one who "missed it".
  • EveryWhere
    DoaM wrote: »
    Seems the point was thus not well made, as I suspect I'm not the only one who "missed it".

Hmmmmm....
    OPEN BOX - GOOD AS NEW
    This describes a device which is as new. The original packaging may have been opened or the security seal broken. Some open box items (typically components) are excess stock from our manufacturing warehouse and as such may be bulk packaged or loose. Regardless of the packaging, these items will be as new, with any remaining manufacturer’s warranty.

GRADE A - GREAT CONDITION
    This describes a device which is very clean and of a desirable quality. It should be in nearly new condition with no noticeable scrapes or scratches and absolutely no dents or damage. Every element of the hardware is functional with no known faults in the system. Most items will not come with original package, apart from the odd occasion.

GRADE B - GOOD CONDITION
    The device will be clean with few small scratches on the casing which are but nothing significant. No scratches on the screen or speakers. All system hardware is fault free and in working order. Most items will not come with original package, apart from the odd occasion.

GRADE C - WELL USED
    The device is still in clean and tidy condition but has signs of use. Some small scratches and/or dents on the casing are permitted but nothing that affects the function of the machine. No damage to the screen and no faults with any of the system hardware. Most items will not come with original package, apart from the odd occasion.

Condition: Grade: B

A+ Refurbished excellent- in a very good condition, no sign of use.
    A Refurbished Good - in a good condition little sign of use.
    B+ Refurbished Good - in a good condition a cosmetic sign of use (marks, scratches).
    B Refurbished Good - a visible sign of use, some visible dents scratches or and marks.

See it now?

One vendor is using + in way that allows them to describe as B Grade what Encore describes as C grade.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,452
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Looks like a Grade C to me. They've simply added A+ & B+ to eliminate the need for stating C.

£85.69 is not cheaper than the Encore laptop at £81. In addition, the Encore laptop had a slightly better CPU.

But the eBay laptop has a one year warranty and Windows 10 Pro installed. So just as good value if not better. Plus the OP can make an offer on it to bring it down to the price of the Encore laptop.

The encore unit was showing @ £90.00 for me when i clicked. Has the price changed or was there a 10% off offer floating about? I didnt click it when you first posted.

Yes, you're probably right RE: Grade C. It was a just a cursory look for a relatively comparable laptop.
  • first78
    Forumite
    Ask as much as you like if, to help you to make the best decision. Better to do so, than to not ask and make a mistake.

Yes, but do check with the vendor before purchase if the laptop has a webcam. If not, we can look for another.
    What is your max budget? That you can actually afford without creating more problems for yourself.
    You don't need the latest spec, but having a solid state drive is preferable, as it makes the device snappier and more robust.

It would be really helpful to you if you have a friend that could swap drives for you and install an operating system. It's really quite easy.

The maximum I could afford right now is £100, I guess if I waited a month or two I could get another £100 or possibly £150 together.

I just want something reliable for Skype and, if at all possible Word would be great.

I don't have any techie friends who could help with anything technical unfortunately.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure