Can I buy a laptop paying instalments?

Comments

• that
    that Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    EveryWhere wrote: »

Ah OK, i is the non touch screen ones which are 1366 x 768 - ta

under £7 for a new replacement camera from ebay + plus a sensible person with a screwdriver.

Not sure if the lens align, but have you seen the hbv-1815 module which is 8MP camera? - I'd try it if i had the need, I have, and prefer an external camera
    out ssd

First 78, EveryWhere's suggestions are good, the first one is a smaller screen and lighter, the second is a far better spec with a larger screen too, about double the weight of the first one. Personally I would chose the second, but i would not be carrying it much either.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    dan958 wrote: »
    The interest rates will most likely be extremely high,

As other people have said, getting a used laptop from eBay will be your best bet. If money is a bit tight, I recommend using your local library as they may have computers.

Very will offer interest free over 12 months on laptops.

Amazon are doing 5 months payments interest free on a lot of laptops and other goods but seems to be account specific. Worth checking though.

Lots of interest free credit card offers about too.

The problem is of course, that this pushes you in to a more expensive new product than most people need.

Personally - as already suggested i'd be looking at a used T series Lenovo Thinkpad or an X series. Maybe an X240 if in budget.

Loads about on ebay.

I've been looking at replacing my badly worn but just 3 years old HP Envy 13 i7 and rather than spend the frankly ridiculous £1500 required to by an XPS 13 or something by Microsoft with a bit of spec, i'm thinking of buying a used Lenovo X1 Carbon. A fraction of the price and business quality rather than consumer quality.
  • first78
    first78 Posts: 1,044 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If the thought of swapping the drives is too much for you, then something like this should be ok out of the box; https://www.encore-pc.co.uk/lenovo-thinkpad-l530-i3-3120m-2-50ghz-4gb-ram-160gb-grade-c

Just make sure that you get the pop up with the 10% discount code before proceeding.

Looks like these are sold out now 😢
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    motorguy wrote: »

Looks like a Grade C to me. They've simply added A+ & B+ to eliminate the need for stating C.

£85.69 is not cheaper than the Encore laptop at £81. In addition, the Encore laptop had a slightly better CPU.

But the eBay laptop has a one year warranty and Windows 10 Pro installed. So just as good value if not better. Plus the OP can make an offer on it to bring it down to the price of the Encore laptop.
  • first78
    Sorry if this is a stupid question, but if a laptop has windows 10 installed does this mean it will have Word on it?
  • first78
    Looks like a Grade C to me. They've simply added A+ & B+ to eliminate the need for stating C.

£85.69 is not cheaper than the Encore laptop at £81. In addition, the Encore laptop had a slightly better CPU.

But the eBay laptop has a one year warranty and Windows 10 Pro installed. So just as good value if not better. Plus the OP can make an offer on it to bring it down to the price of the Encore laptop.

How long would you estimate a laptop at this price would last?
  • debitcardmayhem
    debitcardmayhem Posts: 11,857 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    first78 wrote: »
    Sorry if this is a stupid question, but if a laptop has windows 10 installed does this mean it will have Word on it?
    Unlikely but you can use free office suites like Libreoffice or Google Docs
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    How long would you estimate a laptop at this price would last?

The laptops mentioned, ThinkPads, can be expected to last for many years as they are built more solidly than many consumer laptops and often tend to be supported by the manufacturer for longer.

So it's not about the current price, as these laptops could easily cost £700 when new.

So you are buying a £700 laptop for £80.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,619 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Nope. Word is not part of Windows, it is part of Microsoft Office. If no mention is made of Word/Office the it isn't on there.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure