PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

April 2012 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• jumblejack
    jumblejack Posts: 6,599 Forumite
    abitofhelp wrote: »
    there is nothing wrong with a pyjama day, i am working from home today currently wearing my dressing gown. i too will get changed later but will not be allowed out for any bargains, i will take the my last batch of hm soup out of the freezer to defrost for tomorrow evening, will have to make some more possibly carrot and corriander as i know i have those ingredients in stock. (dressing gown will be put in the wash later with the rest of the whites)

Hehe:D

Glad it's not just me :o

My carrot n coriander soup turned into carrot, coriander and roasted pepper soup as a quick look in the fridge uncovered a pack of 3 peppers:green, yellow and red!

photo-56.jpgphoto-57.jpg

Will serve up with buttered wholemeal toast when the gang come in.
    Now that's prepped, I can crack on with some catchup chores. Paperwork, here I come *groan*....
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • NickJW
    NickJW Posts: 680 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Hi All

Nearly had a mini 'disaster' today. I was planning on having chorizo, parsley, parmesan and roasted pepper spaghetti dish using a jar of peppers given as part of a Xmas present. Was getting a bit peckish so thought I would open the jar and pinch one, but they weren't roasted - they were CHILLI peppers! :eek:

Had to get my thinking cap on and find an alternative dish to make without going to the supermarket, but still using the parsley I bought. Found a recipe and search through the freezer/cupboard and I'm now having lamb chops with squashed cannelini beans with lemon (instead of mash), served with broccoli. Just hope the lamb chops defrost on time because I only got them out of the freezer 2 hours ago...

Hopefully it's nice, but I often find new favourite meals when I'm pushed for things to use. It's a big pack of chops so if I am not a glutton I'll have some leftover for lunch on Monday (I'm going to my aunties for lunch tomorrow so NSD apart from the train fare).
    Grocery Challenge Jan 24 0/300

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent £1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent £1565.51
  • fozziebeartoo
    fozziebeartoo Posts: 1,582 Forumite
    Still in my nightie here today too!! :D

But I will NOT be getting dressed again before bed because then I would want to go and look for YS/whoopsies :rotfl:
  • Florenceem
    Florenceem Posts: 7,912 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    jumblejack wrote: »
    Hehe:D

Glad it's not just me :o

My carrot n coriander soup turned into carrot, coriander and roasted pepper soup as a quick look in the fridge uncovered a pack of 3 peppers:green, yellow and red!

photo-56.jpgphoto-57.jpg

Will serve up with buttered wholemeal toast when the gang come in.
    Now that's prepped, I can crack on with some catchup chores. Paperwork, here I come *groan*....
    Love the colour but soup is something I don't eat. Never have - it must be the liquid texture - I don't like?
    Decluttering Achieved - 2023 - 10,364 Decluttering Target - 2024 - 2,874 April - 242/190
    GC NSD 2023 - 242/365
    2023 Craft Makes - 245 Craft Spends 2023 - £676.03/£400
    Books read - 2023 - 37
    GC - 2024 4 Week Period £42.50/£100 NSD - 73
    2024 Craft Makes - 1946 Craft Spends 2024 £289.64/£500
  • craigywv
    craigywv Posts: 2,342 Forumite
    abitofhelp wrote: »
    Morning all, after my shopping trips yesterday morning i have to say i am very peeved about tesc0. they seem to have removed the value cooking bacon, i hope it is coming back rebranded as the everyday value twaddle they are now stocking. At only 74p a pack when i did my shopping list using the online site it was ideal for an old skinflint like me. I added 4 packs on the list. i checked the next day to add something else and it was out of stock. the packs weighed 500g and consisted of offcuts. we could make a breakfast (with other bits) some sandwhiches and bits out of the pack added to various meals. tesc0 still works out cheaper for me, however i have found one closer to us than our usual haunt, but with an ald1 and farmf00ds close to it. My regards to everyone.
    hi, just letting you know that i too have been using mr t cooking bacon in quiche etc but have foubd that past few weeks its been pure fat cut up into cubes not at all like the one we had before where you got a few rashers etc... I stopped buying it and went into li£dles the other day , they selling a massive 1 kg bag choice of smoked/unsmoked for 1.25 absolute bargain!!!! its a 100 times tastier than mr t one and hardly any fat on it.....i poked through ALL the packs and got 2 with hardly any fat in the packs. got loads of rashers also in the pack hope this helps.:)
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #7 member N.I splinter-group co-ordinater :p I dont suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!!.:)
  • abitofhelp
    abitofhelp Posts: 483 Forumite
    Florenceem wrote: »
    Love the colour but soup is something I don't eat. Never have - it must be the liquid texture - I don't like?

i like a liquid soup myself oh prefers his before i whizz it up, though he gets what he is given. :rotfl:i can do a good minestrone, carrot & lentil, & mushroom. not had much success with leek & potato but will try again, it has also been a while since i made carrot and corriander, but i do have a large bag of carrots so i will make a start on them tomorrow and make the soup in the slow cooker. i will also check the peppers in the salad box, the best ones i will keep for salads during the week and the remaining i will slice for monday nights fajitas and maybe add some to the soup, going to farm shop tomorrow to stock up on salad and fruit(small spend)
    Grocery Challenge 24th Feb-28 Dec 2012 £2000/£1404
    18th May- 15th June 2012 £100/£75
    Dont Throw Food Away 2012 May £5/0
  • abitofhelp
    abitofhelp Posts: 483 Forumite
    craigywv wrote: »
    hi, just letting you know that i too have been using mr t cooking bacon in quiche etc but have foubd that past few weeks its been pure fat cut up into cubes not at all like the one we had before where you got a few rashers etc... I stopped buying it and went into li£dles the other day , they selling a massive 1 kg bag choice of smoked/unsmoked for 1.25 absolute bargain!!!! its a 100 times tastier than mr t one and hardly any fat on it.....i poked through ALL the packs and got 2 with hardly any fat in the packs. got loads of rashers also in the pack hope this helps.:)

thanks for the tip. we have a lidle close by, i shall pop in on monday to see if they have anything similar. :)
    Grocery Challenge 24th Feb-28 Dec 2012 £2000/£1404
    18th May- 15th June 2012 £100/£75
    Dont Throw Food Away 2012 May £5/0
  • Florenceem
    Florenceem Posts: 7,912 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    craigywv wrote: »
    Thanks for that - will look in my local Lid. next time I am there.
    Decluttering Achieved - 2023 - 10,364 Decluttering Target - 2024 - 2,874 April - 242/190
    GC NSD 2023 - 242/365
    2023 Craft Makes - 245 Craft Spends 2023 - £676.03/£400
    Books read - 2023 - 37
    GC - 2024 4 Week Period £42.50/£100 NSD - 73
    2024 Craft Makes - 1946 Craft Spends 2024 £289.64/£500
  • jumblejack
    jumblejack Posts: 6,599 Forumite
    edited 21 April 2012 at 5:52PM
    Thanks for the tip Craig. I was gonna nip in Lidl for the weekend offer of bacon which is a quid a pack. This tip is much better value for me as I usually use bacon in stuff, rather than having the actual rashers anyway.

Good un:T

A good deal if you use em is this too:
    East end chick peas 400g can 25p @ Tesco :T

I love em in a curry or for bulking out stews n casseroles!

Edit:
    Just seen my total grocery spend am a bit worried that I might go over :eek:
    It is possible really as I have so much in my pantry and freezer but it's the whoopsy spending on fresh items when I buy my milk that tots up the total in a crafty way.
    Need to go again tonight for milk but can't seem to help myself when I see a bargain:o
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • Afternoon all,

Done a good shop today, lots of meat and store cupboard things. Also the bacon and other offers from LIDL were good this week, gonna make mushroom risotto and tomato soup for light suppers. Got home and chucked out some OOD cereal etc that had been lurking a while, so nice and tidy now!

Spent,

£46.99 in Morrisons (used the £5 MOC)
    £11.00 in LIDL
    £2.60 in COOP (3 for 1 cheese, sold my mum one tho!:D)

Total £60.59

Declaring at £214.07 for April, as pay day Monday, and new month starts then!!! Not bad, as I had dropped the target spend to £200, so money saved on my usual £250.

May will be £250, just me and 2 kids, as OH not back till June;)!
    Have a great weekend all,

Sally.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family