PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

October 2014 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Smoosh
    Smoosh Posts: 1,629 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I'm a bit late but I'll be aiming for £250 this month. 2 adults, 1 cat. Includes groceries & household products. Doesn't include toiletries or eating out :)

Off to add up receipts and I'll report back :)
  • Smoosh
    Smoosh Posts: 1,629 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    £14.44 spent so far this month.

That got us 4 days worth of cat food. 2 portions of rice (YS), 1 cheese & caramelised onion dip (YS), a caramel & chocolate tart (YS), a loaf of bread (YS), smoked salmon & egg sandwich (YS - lunch for OH), ham (YS), 2 x big slice of microwavable pizza (YS - lunch for OH & me), Innocent noodle pot (YS - lunch for me), ploughmans sandwich (YS - lunch for me), chicken wrap (YS - lunch for OH), 1 lemon yoghurt (YS), 16 cans of pepsi max.

Not bad :D
  • Saver-upper
    Saver-upper Posts: 2,336 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    bmma wrote: »
    NO September thread left? x

Hi bmma
    Yes,it is still going ,for those whose month runs later:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5043534&page=32
    SPC #36 :staradminx 8.SPC7=£751.10 SPC8=£651.04 SPC9=£843.00 SPC10=£872.76
    Pinecone £301,Valued Opinions £10.50

• Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Hello,

Grocery NSD today. Hoping to make another one tomorrow. Good night.
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • lynnejk
    lynnejk Posts: 5,732 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler Debt-free and Proud!
    Hiya everyone and welcome to all the new peoples and returners :hello:

Billie- Joe - Those samosas look amazing :T

Happygreen wrote: »
    But I was thinking of giving DD1 some of the indiviual portions already in the freezer as long as she's returning the tuppers :rotfl:
    Why don't you decant your tuppers into plastic freezer bags. That way you can keep them and reuse them without loss ;)
    Caterina wrote: »
    I would be interested to hear if others have a separate entertainment budget too, and how it operates.
    Happy October!
    Our budget on here is for DH and myself and covers all household stuff - food, cleaning, washing and general toiletries.

We both have a separate budget and if we want drink, sweets or other 'goodies' we buy our own. Going for a drink (not often) we take it in turns to buy drinks/coffees and I can't remember the last time we had a take-out unless you count a pizza from Morrys :rotfl:

We do have a separate budget for holidays and days out - usually take the monies from there for the odd meal out such as birthdays and usually use a discount offer as well. We did buy a 12 month Gourm*t card from this budget which has paid for itself already.

Well last month we were £41.72 under so have topped up bulk budget to £100 and put balance (£15.45) into savings.

Spent £36.26 in Morrys yesterday - noticed lots of prices are coming down atm - and managed an NSD today :j

Hope you all have a fantastic Friday
    Lx
    £10day.2014=3213/2015=3421/2016=3238/2017=2702/2018=498..APR=12.03/300
    GrocC.2014=2162/2015=2083/2016=218/2017=1996/2018=450..APR=17.13/200
    Bulk buy.......APR=233.76
    GC.NSD..2015=216/2016=213/2017=229/2018=39..APR=03/15
    SPC130:staradminx61..2014=1178/2015=1287/2016=4616/2017=3843
    OS WL= -2/8 ......CC =00......Savings = £13,140
  • tatabubbly
    tatabubbly Posts: 909 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi all!! Haven't spent much in groceries this month, heading for a big shop tomorrow so I'll count it all up tomorrow.

If you guys eat out, do you include it in your budget or not?
    094 Sealed pot member! :beer: (7) €185 (8) €138 (9) €€250
    Saving for our first home!
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 3 October 2014 at 7:54AM
    Thank you lynnejk for budget ideas, I am still feeling my way around budgeting for our expenses and every suggestion helps. Am interested that you have a bulk budget as I need to think in this direction too, for cat food, dry goods etc. I just cannot get my head around the second and third purse so having a separate bulk budget it would make sense. Not yet got round to setting a holidays budget, as at the moment money is pouring out of our savings for builders fees, but as soon as this comes to an end (please God, soon!) we will start a separate savings account for this.

Tatabubbly I tend to count eating out as entertainment and this month DH and I have a loosely agreed figure of £100 for the month, to include eating out, cinema, odd coffee while out etc. never budgeted before in this area so we need to see how it goes. I am worried that if I budget too tight the men of the family will rebel!

Planning a grocery NSD today. With some luck a total NSD as also no builder today.

Have a good day.
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • Happygreen
    Happygreen Posts: 2,948 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Billie-jo wrote: »
    First spends today in A1di, Morry's and B&M totalling £39.30 Hubby was with me which saw the bill increase by £5.68 on what he added to the trolley :o !!!!

Today I had my first attempt at Samosas and even if I say so myself they turned out really well and will be doing them again just not too often as they have a lot of calories in them all that melted butter in between the layers of pastry :(

003_zps937f8023.jpg

They look so yummy!!
    I made those once - they are oven baked, a bit better for the waist line ;)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/potatoandpeasamosas_86618
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win - Gandhi
  • I really need to do this again so please can you add me in? I know I'm a bit late, but first payday of the month is today!

I'm a newbie so starting a little bit higher and hoping to drop it for next month by £20. I'm going for £120 which includes all food, household items and toilettries for one, plus two/three meals a week for two of us when the other half or friends come over.

Wish me luck!
    GC January 2015 - £0/£120
  • Solstice_3
    Solstice_3 Posts: 444 Forumite
    Morning all first day of challenge today and I will have to go shopping, need milk and some cleaning items. My cupboards are bare but I have a fruit and veg box coming today and meat in the fridge and freezer. I'm not going to do a stock up shop until the following week as I split my monthly budget into weeks and I only have £30 for the first week after my meat, fruit and veg has been paid for.

Oct is going to be tight, I have £30 left over after allocated grocery budget and I have my Son's birthday party in 3 weeks, food coming out of budget but goody bags not. I also have a cinema and meal out planned this month. Plus money needed for stamps!!! I do have some items listed on ebay so might get a few extra pennies from there. Oh well it will give me incentive to really cut back on grocery spends ;)
    Stay at home Mum to DS Oct 2011 and DD Dec 2013
    Grocery Challenge

April 298.08/300.00 NSD 14 May £213.56/£300 NSD 4
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills