Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ceredigion
    • By ceredigion 17th Feb 19, 6:51 PM
    • 3,352Posts
    • 4,756Thanks
    ceredigion
    Santander Refer a Friend
    • 17th Feb 19, 6:51 PM
    Santander Refer a Friend 17th Feb 19 at 6:51 PM
    The Santander referral code scheme is back.
    https://www.santanderreferafriend.co.uk/terms.php

Just going through the terms and looks like a couple can refer each other five times
Page 45
    • masonic
    • By masonic 16th Jun 19, 9:07 AM
    • 11,906 Posts
    • 9,522 Thanks
    masonic
    Had I not had a bunch of current accounts to switch myself, and someone approached me offering to shift 5 of my referral codes for me in exchange for 1 of the 5 voucher codes I'd receive, I'd have bit their arm off. £200 worth of vouchers for zero effort on my side.
    • Anon
    • By Anon 16th Jun 19, 9:19 AM
    • 13,745 Posts
    • 152,314 Thanks
    Anon
    Clearly we do. I'm ok with you thinking me a monster for offering to use codes from other people if they used one of mine. That's a scenario I'd call win-win rather than the situation where I didn't get the opportunity to give out all of my codes.

In the past I've accepted referrals from individuals who were practically making a business of it and earning thousands of pounds. Accepting a referral split in such circumstances seems fair in my view, and no different than accepting a share of the referral money obtained by professional sites like Quidco and Topcashback.
    Originally posted by masonic
    Where have I said you are a monster? In the scenario you have just said, swapping codes so each get £100, then that makes perfect sense and is a completely difference scenario . It is taking a fee for using someone's code that I struggle with.
    Anyway, as long as everyone involved in the transactions is happy, why should I care? I was simply presenting my view.
    • masonic
    • By masonic 16th Jun 19, 9:45 AM
    • 11,906 Posts
    • 9,522 Thanks
    masonic
    Where have I said you are a monster?
    Originally posted by Anon
    I inferred it from these comments, my bold:
    I am shocked by some of the mercenary and frankly greedy attitudes on this thread.
    The alternative/counter suggestion was simply accepting the words "thank you" like many others have done.
    In the scenario you have just said, swapping codes so each get £100, then that makes perfect sense and is a completely difference scenario . It is taking a fee for using someone's code that I struggle with.
    I don't think it is different. They are both offers with 'strings attached'. In the latter case of taking a fee, this is simply an acknowledgement that there is an imbalance in effort required by the referrer and switcher that ought to be reflected in the relative reward. £60/£40 for switcher vs referrer seems very fair, especially given that there is a surplus of referrers over switchers.

Without that little extra incentive, perhaps there would have been fewer accounts switched and therefore less money shared by both parties in these transactions. I guarantee you at the end of this offer there will be a large number of unused codes. Perhaps you were unable to shift all of yours? I don't think I'd have shifted any of mine without offering something in return.

When swapping, both parties do an equal amount of work, therefore the £100/£100 split is appropriate.

Anyway, as long as everyone involved in the transactions is happy, why should I care? I was simply presenting my view.
    I completely agree, hence I was taken aback by earlier comments directing moral judgements at those who asked for more than a "thank you" in exchange for using someone's code.
    Last edited by masonic; 16-06-2019 at 10:08 AM.
    • bristolleedsfan
    • By bristolleedsfan 16th Jun 19, 10:00 AM
    • 7,807 Posts
    • 9,846 Thanks
    bristolleedsfan
    I am shocked by some of the mercenary and frankly
    greedy attitudes on this thread. .

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=75924561#post75924561
    "Out of interest, which bank has no limit please? I believe 3 seems to be the limit (at any one time) on many bank platforms?"

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=mercenary+attitude+definition

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=greedy+attitude+definition
    Last edited by bristolleedsfan; 16-06-2019 at 10:38 AM.
    • schiff
    • By schiff 16th Jun 19, 10:44 AM
    • 18,598 Posts
    • 9,998 Thanks
    schiff
    That m'lud is the case for the prosecution.

Judge: this may be a good time to recess. Convene tomorrow at 10am.

All rise.
    • soulsaver
    • By soulsaver 16th Jun 19, 10:54 AM
    • 2,369 Posts
    • 1,159 Thanks
    soulsaver
    That m'lud is the case for the prosecution.

Judge: this may be a good time to recess. Convene tomorrow at 10am.

All rise.
    Originally posted by schiff
    Y usual MSE off piste blox.
    • Anon
    • By Anon 16th Jun 19, 11:18 AM
    • 13,745 Posts
    • 152,314 Thanks
    Anon
    Clearly I have misjudged the situation on here and should have been taking more for helping fellow money savers and left you all to it.

I am not sure how comparing my query about how many accounts one can have with any particular bank (and indeed switching accounts legitimately within the stated terms and conditions - however many that may be) with taking an additional fee for helping is the same, but thank you for enlightening me.
    Last edited by Anon; 16-06-2019 at 11:24 AM.
    • bristolleedsfan
    • By bristolleedsfan 16th Jun 19, 11:38 AM
    • 7,807 Posts
    • 9,846 Thanks
    bristolleedsfan
    "I am shocked by some of the mercenary and frankly greedy attitudes on this thread"

I am not sure how comparing my query about how many accounts one can have with any particular bank (and indeed switching accounts legitimately within the stated terms and conditions - however many that may be) with taking an additional fee for helping is the same, but thank you for enlightening me.

Well for a start several Banks that have been mentioned most prominently on this thread e.g Lloyds/TSB as a good bet for opening Current accounts purely for switching bonus elsewhere ask on their online application form what the purpose will be for opening the account, I have never seen an option to tick (in any way shape or form) to use as a donor account to switch elsewhere for personal gain
    Last edited by bristolleedsfan; 16-06-2019 at 11:58 AM.
    • masonic
    • By masonic 16th Jun 19, 3:20 PM
    • 11,906 Posts
    • 9,522 Thanks
    masonic
    Clearly I have misjudged the situation on here and should have been taking more for helping fellow money savers and left you all to it.
    That's partly the fault of MSE for not allowing people to state they were willing to give a little extra to switchers in the referrer's board. You'll know for next time that such things happen should you wish to partake of such offers. I don't know how many existing accounts you switched, and how many new donor accounts you opened to switch, but it sounds as though you were among the more prolific switchers and I think it's unfortunate that none of the people you helped offered any kind of split of their share when others would have.
    • wizzywig27
    • By wizzywig27 17th Jun 19, 10:24 AM
    • 1,308 Posts
    • 832 Thanks
    wizzywig27
    I have tried to track this thread, but I am not sure who gives who the money, the referrer or referee...

Anyway, I have traded lots of my codes with a certain individual on here, the way I see it is if he uses my code, I get £50 and he gets £50 for his time - I really do not like the underhand tactics of individuals on the referrers board who try to outdo everyone else by offering 50% of their switch bonus (for example). Its very cut throat
    • bristolleedsfan
    • By bristolleedsfan 17th Jun 19, 10:31 AM
    • 7,807 Posts
    • 9,846 Thanks
    bristolleedsfan
    underhand tactics

Originally posted by wizzywig27

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=underhand+tactics+definition

I wanted to switch to Octopus Energy via RAF, nobody on MSE at that time was offering a RAF split, I had to join another forum where RAF splits were being offered. Equally I always give splits out of any RAF payments I receive.

I would like to take this opportunity of thanking those on MSE who have paid me a split(s) out of RAF payments they have received in respect of Santander and other RAF offers, has made the offers more worthwhile to participate in, especially Santander switches where I switched out and closed accounts that were paying monthly rewards/higher Interest accounts than available elsewhere, this meant more switches done than might otherwise have been the case thus more codes offered by MSE users overall were claimed.
    Last edited by bristolleedsfan; 17-06-2019 at 10:48 AM.
    • wizzywig27
    • By wizzywig27 17th Jun 19, 11:04 AM
    • 1,308 Posts
    • 832 Thanks
    wizzywig27
    https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=underhand+tactics+definition

I wanted to switch to Octopus Energy via RAF, nobody on MSE at that time was offering a RAF split, I had to join another forum where RAF splits were being offered. Equally I always give splits out of any RAF payments I receive.

I would like to take this opportunity of thanking those on MSE who have paid me a split(s) out of RAF payments they have received in respect of Santander and other RAF offers, has made the offers more worthwhile to participate in, especially Santander switches where I switched out and closed accounts that were paying monthly rewards/higher Interest accounts than available elsewhere, this meant more switches done than might otherwise have been the case thus more codes offered by MSE users overall were claimed.
    Originally posted by bristolleedsfan
    Thanks for the definition, although I trust you'd take my word for how I feel regarding the underhand tactics used.

I would like to thank the individual who has been polite, honest and straight down the line when providing me with his codes, and using mine like he said he would, without being underhand and asking for £10 a code
    • bristolleedsfan
    • By bristolleedsfan 17th Jun 19, 11:58 AM
    • 7,807 Posts
    • 9,846 Thanks
    bristolleedsfan

I would like to thank the individual who has been polite, honest and straight down the line when providing me with his codes, and using mine like he said he would, without being underhand and asking for £10 a code

I have previously posted thanking those (several ) who swapped codes with me (and for my daughters codes) thus enabling "100.00" in Amazon Vouchers per Bank switch

I was the first person to post on the other related thread suggesting RAF code swaps

Looking at your posts on the appropriate board, you never offer anything out of your RAF links offers whereas others are ( nothing wrong with that) easy to see why you have the opinion you do regarding those that do.
    Last edited by bristolleedsfan; 17-06-2019 at 12:10 PM.
    • wizzywig27
    • By wizzywig27 17th Jun 19, 12:14 PM
    • 1,308 Posts
    • 832 Thanks
    wizzywig27
    I have previously posted thanking those (several ) who swapped codes with me (and for my daughters codes) thus enabling "100.00" in Amazon Vouchers per Bank switch

I was the first person to post on the other related thread suggesting RAF code swaps

Looking at your posts on the appropriate board, you never offer anything out of your RAF links offers whereas others are ( nothing wrong with that) easy to see why you have the opinion you do regarding those that do.
    No, because I believe its underhand and cut-throat. To do that would make me a hypocrite
    • bristolleedsfan
    • By bristolleedsfan 17th Jun 19, 12:16 PM
    • 7,807 Posts
    • 9,846 Thanks
    bristolleedsfan
    No, because I believe its underhand and cut-throat. To do that would make me a hypocrite

Those who never offer a RAF referral split would like/hope to get/keep as much as they can for themselves whereas I believe in treating others like I would like to be treated myself.

Offering a RAF share/split gives some people more incentive to participate in a RAF offer than might otherwise be the case
    Last edited by bristolleedsfan; 17-06-2019 at 12:22 PM.
    • wizzywig27
    • By wizzywig27 17th Jun 19, 12:26 PM
    • 1,308 Posts
    • 832 Thanks
    wizzywig27
    Those who never offer a RAF referral split would like/hope to get/keep as much as they can for themselves whereas I believe in treating others like I would like to be treated myself.

Offering a RAF share/split gives some people more incentive to participate in a RAF offer than might otherwise be the case
    So now I 'hope to get/keep as much of (a free switch incentive) as I can? So now this has turned on me as being the greedy one?
    • wizzywig27
    • By wizzywig27 17th Jun 19, 12:37 PM
    • 1,308 Posts
    • 832 Thanks
    wizzywig27
    I would also like to add, if a bank offered me £50 voucher or a £100 recommend friend, I'd be more than happy and would not expect any other form of incentive just help me switch!
    • Ashen
    • By Ashen 17th Jun 19, 1:28 PM
    • 524 Posts
    • 405 Thanks
    Ashen
    The problem I have with referral splitting is that it seems to be inconsistently enforced against, and it also means that a select few offering to split often get more of the referrals - i.e. you get posters confirming that somebody sent over a split of the referral to them, and others read that, are likely to use that same person - and that compounds further. It also can be a race to the bottom when trying to 'compete' with that.

In this case, the main issue I have with asking for £10 to use a code is it should have been done when asking if someone has any codes, not *after*.
    • Princess_x
    • By Princess_x 17th Jun 19, 1:39 PM
    • 2,343 Posts
    • 11,541 Thanks
    Princess_x
    Itís interesting to see the different views on here. I personally donít see anything wrong with offering a referral split. If Iím okay with giving away 50% of my incentive for example, then not sure how that makes it cutthroat. Itís definitely competitive but not to an extreme extent. I mean you are trying to convince someone to use your referral link/code over other people. Nothing wrong with that in my opinion.

Also donít see whatís wrong with asking for a split as long as itís asked for initially before the code is used or given. I mean if the person is not happy about doing so they could just as easily say Ďno Iím not happy with thatí.

Then again my view is that referral splits should not be equal. I mean the referree is doing all the work. That said, I donít ask for referral splits unless advertised by the person initially and I only offer referral splits where itís allowed.

• harz99
    • By harz99 17th Jun 19, 1:40 PM
    • 2,872 Posts
    • 2,829 Thanks
    harz99

In this case, the main issue I have with asking for £10 to use a code is it should have been done when asking if someone has any codes, not *after*.
    Originally posted by Ashen
    Precisely, and that is exactly why I posted and was (still am) unhappy with the way BLF went about trying to extract a tenner each code used.

No matter I'll never be posting referral codes ever again.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

119Posts Today

2,411Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • A brilliant and gripping profile of Boris Johnson by the great @JPonpolitics well worth the 15 minute read https://t.co/odelHYEbRg

• Boris Johnson is now going to be our prime minister. Worth a pause for thought, whatever your political persuasion.

• Boy they're dragging out this #conservativeleadership announcement.Three introducers now each grabbing air time. Get on with it please!

• Follow Martin