Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 10th Mar 12, 8:51 AM
    • 2,462Posts
    • 13,662Thanks
    themadvix
    Finally I have a mortgage I can start to pay off!
    • 10th Mar 12, 8:51 AM
    Finally I have a mortgage I can start to pay off! 10th Mar 12 at 8:51 AM
    Hi Everyone,
    Having been a long time lurker on this board whilst saving for a house deposit (you’re all so friendly and positive that it’s an inspiring place to ‘hang out’), my fiance and I completed on our first house yesterday!

It’s a three-bedroomed terraced house in Hertfordshire (hence the long saving period) with an 80% LTV mortgage of 132,999 with Natwest, fixed for 2 years at 3.79%.

There’s just the two of us (and our new two fish, Rosie and Jim, inherited with the house!), but I work from home, hence the need for a third bedroom as office space. We won’t be moving in until June as the house needs some work doing and we’re getting married in June so it seemed to be a sensible option (as we both currently live with our parents…tragic I know in my late 20s, but nice mortgage rate as a result).

Obviously with house needing work and a wedding looming, I don’t expect to be making much in the way of overpayments for a while (but this won’t stop me rounding numbers down or transferring small bits across). Another issue is that although DF is employed (and hopefully about to get a new job in the company ), I am self-employed and therefore my income varies drastically from month to month. However, I have built up a fairly solid client base over the last five years, and especially in the last year, so I hope that this will continue to improve and that I will be able to contribute to overpayments.

DF is the spreadsheet nut, so I’m hoping he’ll get it set up for me so I can play with figures soon (although I have no idea what a pivot table is and am not convinced I need to know! ) We’re already a very MSE couple having been saving for so long – we cashback, do surveys, shop around, get the freebies that are relevant to us and have already (having gone to the house last night) established that if I’m paying the energy bills we’ll be living in a cold house! In all seriousness though, we are both on board with the idea of overpaying the mortgage - it just makes sense!

So, for the moment this diary will be a place to record the small things I do as well as the little overpayments I make (once my mortgage shows up in online banking!). Once June has flown past and we’re back from our honeymoon, I’ll get a grip on income and expenditure and work out an SOA and how much we can regularly overpay.

Vicky

PS Long, long term, this isn’t our forever home and one day we’d like to build our own environmentally friendly home! But more of that in the future…
    Last edited by themadvix; 21-11-2016 at 4:06 PM. Reason: Because I got the interest rate wrong!!
Page 87
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 11th Jun 19, 4:25 PM
    • 2,709 Posts
    • 28,220 Thanks
    earthgirl
    Just had 5 mins chilling out and reading your nes. Feel very relaxed now - congrats on your USA trip!!
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (220k) Bought Dream House Dec 13 - Mortage 2 -116,508. 15/7/18 Mortgage Free Again

Progress not Perfection
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 13th Jun 19, 8:45 AM
    • 2,462 Posts
    • 13,662 Thanks
    themadvix
    Aw, thanks Earthie!

Morning all,

Just finishing off the last of my work (hopefully) this morning and then I have a big list of jobs to do before an early start tomorrow (leaving at 5!).

Managed to walk down to the vets to pick up the cats' vaccination cards yesterday before the rain started - was nice to get the walk in, saved petrol and I posted RM survey item (and Dad's FD card) en route. Mum and I had a JL lunch - she had a voucher for tea and cake, so we added a salad (no sandwiches left). It was my turn to pay though. MS in the afternoon - all went smoothly and submitted without problems. Ended up having Pizza Hut last night (classy meal!) instead of tonight - 241 with Meerkats and 20 of LVs - just 29p to pay and no tip required as it was an order-at-the-bar type restaurant Bargain!

MS things:
    * RM survey postings - yesterday and today
    * Virtually free dinner out
    * Free cake (we'll ignore the 10 for the rest of it!)
    * Clicks etc. done (and discovered there's free Wifi on the boat tomorrow, so might take advantage of that - DH will be groaning on the bunk in our cabin I imagine!)
    * MS done
    * Free tickets claimed for TV recording with one of our favourite comedians in August (the tickets into London won't be free but can come from treat fund)
    * PA surveys
    * Rare 4.06 TT to savings

Gratitudes:
    * Nice walk to vets - exercise and fresh air (with a bit of green space thrown in) always makes me happier, even when the weather is iffy
    * Forecast is looking good for holiday
    * No piles of work arrived overnight

Have a good day all!
    Last edited by themadvix; 13-06-2019 at 8:50 AM.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 13th Jun 19, 9:35 AM
    • 31,914 Posts
    • 188,388 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Pizza Hut for tea sounds brilliant
    And you managed to get tickets to a tv recording of a comedian you really like? Respect! I've never managed that, and I tried to watch the websites like a hawk for ages.

Have a great trip tomorrow, and a lovely holiday.
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    New kitchen fully installed June 2019
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 13th Jun 19, 9:38 AM
    • 2,462 Posts
    • 13,662 Thanks
    themadvix
    Thanks Karma! Re the comedians - we're signed up to his email mailing list - and he sent out info about the show and the ticket link - might be worth doing that rather than just the show sites? They do go quickly though, and there's no guarantee we'll get in (we've been turned away before, but then they gave us tickets to another recording and we got priority entrance that time - tip is not to book the last dates available!).
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 13th Jun 19, 9:42 AM
    • 31,914 Posts
    • 188,388 Thanks
    Karmacat
    That *is* a good tip, thanks for that. I'll coordinate with my sister
    Retired August 2016
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 13th Jun 19, 4:43 PM
    • 2,709 Posts
    • 28,220 Thanks
    earthgirl
    Hope its all plain sailing. Sorry Couldn't resist!
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (220k) Bought Dream House Dec 13 - Mortage 2 -116,508. 15/7/18 Mortgage Free Again

Progress not Perfection
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 13th Jun 19, 6:25 PM
    • 2,462 Posts
    • 13,662 Thanks
    themadvix
    thanks Earthie!
    • Socajam
    • By Socajam 13th Jun 19, 7:11 PM
    • 381 Posts
    • 509 Thanks
    Socajam
    Have not read through all the thread, but if this have not been emphasized before make sure that you have an emergency fund and a life happens fund.
    You can made all the over payments that you want, but if something where to happen and you do not have these, all the overpayments made are futile.
    Speaking as someone who is self employed, makes this even more urgent, regardless of how many clients you have.
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 14th Jun 19, 8:36 AM
    • 3,058 Posts
    • 28,183 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    Have not read through all the thread, but if this have not been emphasized before make sure that you have an emergency fund and a life happens fund.
    You can made all the over payments that you want, but if something where to happen and you do not have these, all the overpayments made are futile.
    Speaking as someone who is self employed, makes this even more urgent, regardless of how many clients you have.
    Originally posted by Socajam
    Maybe look at the first page of the thread to see what the plans were, when it started - post 12 is a good one
    MFIT T5 target to clear our mortgage completely (59,998) Q1 26,828 or 44.71% paid - Mortgage Free Wannabes 2019 #37 78.13% 31,251.65 including July
    Save 12k in 2019 - #68 target is 7k 4,998.99 or 71.41% after May
    OS Grocery Challenge 2019 target is 3k - 46.03% spent so far, mid July
    My DFD is here
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 14th Jun 19, 9:04 AM
    • 31,914 Posts
    • 188,388 Thanks
    Karmacat
    You've left this morning! If you read this when you're on the boat, have a lovely trip and a brilliant holiday
    Retired August 2016
    • try harder
    • By try harder 14th Jun 19, 9:35 AM
    • 861 Posts
    • 3,419 Thanks
    try harder
    Have a wonderful holiday
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 14th Jun 19, 10:07 AM
    • 2,462 Posts
    • 13,662 Thanks
    themadvix
    Morning all,

Thanks SL Karma and TH and thanks!

Yes, am on the boat. DH is fine but prefers to lie down, so I've found a cuppa (1.60, not bad!) and the free WiFi. It's a nice boat and the godparents' club membership seems to have got us preferential treatment as well as the 10% discount - we got waved through the queues!

Nothing money saving to report... Breakfast would have been cheaper if we'd stopped on the way down but managed to miss the sat nav telling us to get off two junctions before so time was tight

Will do some clicks now (and maybe read post 12, see what wisdom I shared way back when!!)

Have a good day/week all
    • Jessy103
    • By Jessy103 15th Jun 19, 6:40 AM
    • 558 Posts
    • 2,300 Thanks
    Jessy103
    Have a fantastic time MV
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 15th Jun 19, 6:35 PM
    • 2,709 Posts
    • 28,220 Thanks
    earthgirl
    Off to read post 12!

Have a great time x

Progress not Perfection
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 17th Jun 19, 10:27 AM
    • 6,771 Posts
    • 47,059 Thanks
    newgirly
    Have a fantastic time
    MFW 21

72,866.48 left target 10k/ 6,133.52 in 2019
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 17th Jun 19, 10:34 AM
    • 3,058 Posts
    • 28,183 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    Off to read post 12!

Have a great time x
    Originally posted by earthgirl
    Not you earthy!
    MFIT T5 target to clear our mortgage completely (59,998) Q1 26,828 or 44.71% paid - Mortgage Free Wannabes 2019 #37 78.13% 31,251.65 including July
    Save 12k in 2019 - #68 target is 7k 4,998.99 or 71.41% after May
    OS Grocery Challenge 2019 target is 3k - 46.03% spent so far, mid July
    My DFD is here
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 25th Jun 19, 11:32 AM
    • 2,462 Posts
    • 13,662 Thanks
    themadvix
    Afternoon folks!

Hope you've all had a good week? We had a lovely time away - quite gentle and low-key, but just what we needed to relax and spend time together. The weather was pretty good except the last day (when we planned to go to the beach of course!). We did quite a bit of walking, reading, watching Queen's (the God-PIL have Freesat so we had English TV) and eating. Apart from food and fuel/parking, we didn't spend any money... It's just that there was quite a lot of yummy food (and that was with packed lunches nearly every day and home cooking most of the evenings. Haven't totted it up yet, but it should be fine. Obviously we also brought a load of food/drink back with us too and all thank you presents were edible. Used some LVs on way home from port last night to have dinner.

In other news, American client paid their bill dead on time without any reminder from me. Very pleased about that. Have a few bits of work to keep me busy this week, and I'm sure more will arrive once everyone remembers I'm back. Picked kitties up this morning.... I think they've nearly forgiven me. Saved 10% on the bill by paying cash (she offers a discount for stays over 200). Have also sorted RM survey and got through my emails.

We have plenty of food in, and with UF July coming up, I think I'm going to challenge myself to spend no more than 75 on food until end of July. I topped up at the zero-waste shop before I went and have cancelled veg box for tomorrow as they all included turnips (which we're not keen on). With this in mind, I bought a few bits in supermarket and we have cabbage ready in the garden (as well as strawbs, rasps, redcurrants and soon potatoes and beans!). Will need milk and eggs (and probably flour - but some French stick for the next couple of days) and then probably a veg box or two at some point. We even have meat in the freezer should we fancy a BBQ. If we have people round, then I might need to go over budget, but as that doesn't happen often, I'm not going to avoid it if we feel like it.

In other shopping, I'll need a WGAC delivery very soon (not onto our emergency rolls yet, but not far off!) and if there's a discount from Ethical Superstore I'll order some shower gel. Will need a present for 1 yr old, but will use gift card for this - need to get to M&S before the sale is over. Sis's birthday coming up too - have a card for this and the 1 yr old, but will need a present for sis. Might order her some vouchers from S&S.

DH is away one night at least in the next week or so, and I'm away for 3 nights at the end of July, so both of those events should help (and likely to bring some leftovers home from my stay - our last ever Brownie holiday!).

Right, better get on with some work....

PS Post 12 not very riveting at all! But I guess it did mention EF and SE buffer.

PPS No new plan formulated... too much relaxing happening! Various thoughts at the moment, but all in a bit of flux, so keeping plodding is the answer for a bit longer.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 25th Jun 19, 6:22 PM
    • 31,914 Posts
    • 188,388 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Hiya welcome back

That sounds a lovely relaxing holiday, madvix. Excellent that it was too relaxing for a new plan to be made

Glad you've got the kitties back, and that sounds a good discount too. My neighbour's cat was rubbing herself all over my back garden step, and I was watching adoringly, till I really wanted to go inside after gardening. Whereupon she ran a couple of bounds and hissed at me before stalking off I'm pretty sure I'm not forgiven for wanting to enter my own house.
    Retired August 2016
    • Jessy103
    • By Jessy103 26th Jun 19, 5:49 AM
    • 558 Posts
    • 2,300 Thanks
    Jessy103
    Glad to hear you had a lovely holiday mv!
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 26th Jun 19, 7:59 AM
    • 2,462 Posts
    • 13,662 Thanks
    themadvix
    Morning all,

Thanks Karma and Jessy I forgot to mention the cat that visited us while we were away. DH's godmother is a huge cat fan, so we knew we'd be visited by cats, just not that they'd know where the food was kept in the house! Cheeky cat was waiting for us on the step when we got back one day, shot into the house, straight into the kitchen and made a very head-butty, friendly nuisance of itself until it had had some food. Then it sat there looking longingly at the empty bowl! He was very sweet though and quite happy to jump up on shoulders or settle down on your lap for a cuddle - DH enjoyed this as our cats tend to prefer me for cuddles.

I have a load of washing nearly finishing, so that can join the rest on the line - the weather has been dry but still and humid, so it's taking a while to get dry here. I have work to crack on with this morning, but hoping to pop to see Mum later and will hopefully get to M&S for the 1-yr-old's birthday present. Have a couple of cheques to pay in too and will pick up milk and eggs.

Bought a globe artichoke in France, so thinking we'll have that for dinner (boiled and with melted butter/mayo, so I'm led to believe?), followed by bread and butter pud as the stale bread in the freezer is getting out of hand and I need the space!

Had forgotten we've got a couple of days out booked for July when planning my UFM yesterday. However, they are presents (theatre and llama walk), so money for food out/train tickets on those days will come from treat fund (Christmas present money).

MS things:
    * Have asked sister what she'd like for birthday as vouchers may not be best option - might be something available from Amaz0n, so can order vouchers for that instead.
    * Going to a BBQ at weekend - will make rhubarb or redcurrant 'something' to take as both of these are flourishing at the moment.
    * Converting Sbs to Itunes credit has worked perfectly for DH's 4pple Music subscription (it automatically used the store credit he had from the last voucher) - so ordered another voucher. It seems to have taken money for two (which shows in ledger and I have a screen print of), but only sent one confirmation email. Will wait and see what turns up/whether I get recredited with the SBs. Why is nothing ever simple?!

Gratitudes (forgot these yesterday, although I did rabbit on a bit!):
    * A lovely, relaxing holiday
    * Produce galore in the garden
    * A challenge for the next month

Have a good day all!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,532Posts Today

7,770Users online

Martin's Twitter