Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • chimpysmith
    • By chimpysmith 15th Jun 19, 9:00 AM
    • 12Posts
    • 1Thanks
    chimpysmith
    Fly repellent
    • 15th Jun 19, 9:00 AM
    Fly repellent 15th Jun 19 at 9:00 AM
    I noticed that my violas in my window boxes were shrivelling, closer inspection was they were covered in green/white fly. I started soaking them in shop bought fly spray and soapy water too. We had a week of torrential rain and I've just looked at them again. Every single one of my pots That were blooming are shrivelled with flies. I never have problems with flies on violas normally, I'm gutted.
    Any advice?
Page 1
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 15th Jun 19, 11:00 AM
    • 6,736 Posts
    • 5,048 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 15th Jun 19, 11:00 AM
    • 15th Jun 19, 11:00 AM
    Use a systemic fly killer regularly as advised on the packet.
    • chimpysmith
    • By chimpysmith 15th Jun 19, 5:52 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    chimpysmith
    • 15th Jun 19, 5:52 PM
    • 15th Jun 19, 5:52 PM
    I was out there every day soaking the window boxes in fly killer��
    • Farway
    • By Farway 16th Jun 19, 8:58 AM
    • 7,412 Posts
    • 14,166 Thanks
    Farway
    • 16th Jun 19, 8:58 AM
    • 16th Jun 19, 8:58 AM
    If you are talking white flies they are notoriously hard to kill now the more toxic chemicals have been withdrawn. A systemic should sort them, but systemics are not instant death, like systemic weedkillers, needs time to work
    • chimpysmith
    • By chimpysmith 17th Jun 19, 8:15 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    chimpysmith
    • 17th Jun 19, 8:15 AM
    • 17th Jun 19, 8:15 AM
    I'm so nervous that it's going to spread to the rest of my pots. It's effecting about 70% so far. Just wondering if to bin all of them as spraying them every day doesn't seem to be helping. I hate throwing plants though.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 17th Jun 19, 9:24 AM
    • 7,412 Posts
    • 14,166 Thanks
    Farway
    • 17th Jun 19, 9:24 AM
    • 17th Jun 19, 9:24 AM
    Are these indoors or greenhouses?
    Out in the fresh air normally inhibits them
    • Alfrescodave
    • By Alfrescodave 17th Jun 19, 10:27 AM
    • 692 Posts
    • 412 Thanks
    Alfrescodave
    • 17th Jun 19, 10:27 AM
    • 17th Jun 19, 10:27 AM
    Are these indoors or greenhouses?
    Out in the fresh air normally inhibits them
    Originally posted by Farway
    I had a similar problem with whitefly on some peppers I was growing in the conservatory. I managed to move peppers plus containers outside and the insects (especially hover flies) soon removed all the little beggars.
    • chimpysmith
    • By chimpysmith 17th Jun 19, 2:05 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    chimpysmith
    • 17th Jun 19, 2:05 PM
    • 17th Jun 19, 2:05 PM
    Unfortunately these are all outside .
    • Alfrescodave
    • By Alfrescodave 18th Jun 19, 3:58 PM
    • 692 Posts
    • 412 Thanks
    Alfrescodave
    • 18th Jun 19, 3:58 PM
    • 18th Jun 19, 3:58 PM
    I'm so nervous that it's going to spread to the rest of my pots. It's effecting about 70% so far. Just wondering if to bin all of them as spraying them every day doesn't seem to be helping. I hate throwing plants though.
    Originally posted by chimpysmith
    I think that if 70% are already infected then I'd be biting the bullet and dump the lot - sometimes Mother Nature wins and we mere mortals have to accept defeat.

You still have time to achieve a good display this year if you restock now - Jersey Plants seem to bombard my inbox every day with offers.
    • chimpysmith
    • By chimpysmith 18th Jun 19, 7:24 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    chimpysmith
    Thankyou I think you're right. Bit worried they'll come back so think I'll have to dump the flowers and the compost beacause that's got a crust on it that doesn't look good. I'll just get a few new plants but not pansy's. Maybe marigolds or lobelia because they don't seem as interested in those.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

171Posts Today

2,413Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • A brilliant and gripping profile of Boris Johnson by the great @JPonpolitics well worth the 15 minute read https://t.co/odelHYEbRg

• Boris Johnson is now going to be our prime minister. Worth a pause for thought, whatever your political persuasion.

• Boy they're dragging out this #conservativeleadership announcement.Three introducers now each grabbing air time. Get on with it please!

• Follow Martin