Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • westbridgfordguy
    • By westbridgfordguy 14th Jun 19, 5:38 PM
    • 87Posts
    • 23Thanks
    westbridgfordguy
    Ebay item delivered to neighbour who won't return it
    • 14th Jun 19, 5:38 PM
    Ebay item delivered to neighbour who won't return it 14th Jun 19 at 5:38 PM
    I ordered an item from an Ebay seller on Sunday, ETA was stated as Wednesday. By today package had still not arrived, tracking information was shown as being on the courier van for the past 2 days. No note from courier pushed through my door to say attempted delivery or left in safe place or delivered to a neighbour.

Contacted seller whom stated that courier had claimed that item had been delivered to one of my neighbours giving their house number and name. Went round to said neighbour and they denied that they had taken receipt of my order, also went to my other neighbour and they also denied they had been in receipt of my item.

Fed this information back to the seller currently awaiting a reply.

Where does this leave me regards reimbursement of monies spent for item not received?
Page 2
    • westbridgfordguy
    • By westbridgfordguy 16th Jun 19, 10:53 AM
    • 87 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    westbridgfordguy
    Is there an adjacent road it could have been delivered to?
    We occasionally find mis-delivered items at ours (or a neighbour's) house number in the adjacent road.
    Originally posted by YBR
    There is a road immediately parallel to the one I live on, yes. Part of my issue with the couriers claims is that they didn't even shove a card through my door saying that the item was at another house.

It does also lead to the debate regards if you received a package clearly identified with a different name and address would you wait for the recipient to come round and collect it or would you take it round yourself given that they might not be even aware the item is there?
    • theoretica
    • By theoretica 16th Jun 19, 11:20 AM
    • 5,900 Posts
    • 7,309 Thanks
    theoretica
    and do what do most people say when they sign. oh it looks nothing like my signature.
    They sign to save time. people want cheaper and cheaper carriers. couriers are asked/expected to do more and more on their runs.
    These things save time.
    If you have ever had to deal with the general public signing these machines you would see what a faff many make of it.

You seem to hold a lot of weight on the signature. I don't.
    Although my parcel sig is not my sig but a distinct mark I make so its clear if it was me or not.

Doesnt this make as much sense?
    Originally posted by custardy

I put a lot of weight on people and companies doing what they promised and sold. I have no problem at all with shipping methods, with or without tracking, which do not promise a signature. But I do have a problem with courier companies selling 'signed for' services so cheaply that they can only happen by cutting corners and not actually being signed for. I have a problem with people forging my signature under any circumstances, and I have a problem with the couriers on the ground being pushed into forgery.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
    • the_lunatic_is_in_my_head
    • By the_lunatic_is_in_my_head 16th Jun 19, 12:10 PM
    • 2,474 Posts
    • 1,458 Thanks
    the_lunatic_is_in_my_head
    What courier is it? Can you find a landline number for the local depot online?

Although you don't have a contract with the courier if you can get hold of the local depot they are usually helpful.

If it was Hermes forget the above.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 16th Jun 19, 3:08 PM
    • 34,594 Posts
    • 29,314 Thanks
    custardy
    I put a lot of weight on people and companies doing what they promised and sold. I have no problem at all with shipping methods, with or without tracking, which do not promise a signature. But I do have a problem with courier companies selling 'signed for' services so cheaply that they can only happen by cutting corners and not actually being signed for. I have a problem with people forging my signature under any circumstances, and I have a problem with the couriers on the ground being pushed into forgery.
    Originally posted by theoretica
    You may have a problem but that is the reality. Keep in mind I'm talking for companies I have never worked for here.
    Though I know guys in the trade for various carriers and times get tighter and tighter.
    • martindow
    • By martindow 17th Jun 19, 10:14 AM
    • 8,202 Posts
    • 4,772 Thanks
    martindow
    OP, unless I've misread the posts your headline is misleading. I don't think you are suggesting that your neighbour has received the parcel and is refusing to hand it over.

Isn't the problem that the carrier claims to have delivered it to a neighbour and the suspicion is that the delivery driver has delivered it goodness knows where or not at all.
    • westbridgfordguy
    • By westbridgfordguy 26th Jun 19, 7:59 PM
    • 87 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    westbridgfordguy
    OP, unless I've misread the posts your headline is misleading. I don't think you are suggesting that your neighbour has received the parcel and is refusing to hand it over.

Isn't the problem that the carrier claims to have delivered it to a neighbour and the suspicion is that the delivery driver has delivered it goodness knows where or not at all.
    Originally posted by martindow
    Update - I successfully claimed my money back on appeal with Ebay at the end of last week after they ruled that the seller could not prove that the courier had delivered the item to my address.

However......at the weekend my neighbour came round to hand me a soggy box which her husband had found thrown over the garden gate at my other next door neighbours property whom were on holiday and had noticed the box when he had gone round to tend to the plants in their back garden in their absence.

Do I now return the item if the seller has made a claim against their courier for losing the package?
    • soolin
    • By soolin 26th Jun 19, 8:34 PM
    • 62,257 Posts
    • 44,731 Thanks
    soolin
    Update - I successfully claimed my money back on appeal with Ebay at the end of last week after they ruled that the seller could not prove that the courier had delivered the item to my address.

However......at the weekend my neighbour came round to hand me a soggy box which her husband had found thrown over the garden gate at my other next door neighbours property whom were on holiday and had noticed the box when he had gone round to tend to the plants in their back garden in their absence.

Do I now return the item if the seller has made a claim against their courier for losing the package?
    Originally posted by westbridgfordguy
    Of course you return it, or at least make it available for seller or courier to collect. No doubt seller will be struggling anyway to get a refund from courier .
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • Flickering Ember
    • By Flickering Ember 3rd Jul 19, 10:31 AM
    • 11,643 Posts
    • 128,881 Thanks
    Flickering Ember
    If Hermes don't help you, you can try escalating via Resolver.
    Flickering Embers grow higher and higher...I need a break and I wanna be a paperback writer!
    • the_lunatic_is_in_my_head
    • By the_lunatic_is_in_my_head 3rd Jul 19, 12:33 PM
    • 2,474 Posts
    • 1,458 Thanks
    the_lunatic_is_in_my_head

Originally posted by westbridgfordguy
    Did your refund come from eBay's pocket or the seller?

If it was the seller then advise them it's finally been found and can be collected.

If it was eBay's money I doubt they'll want it and you can probably keep it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,670Posts Today

7,649Users online

Martin's Twitter