Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • britishboy
    • By britishboy 17th Jun 19, 9:51 AM
    • 2,909Posts
    • 394Thanks
    britishboy
    long term sick
    • 17th Jun 19, 9:51 AM
    long term sick 17th Jun 19 at 9:51 AM
    my partner is off work long term sick due to personal issues and her sick pay has stopped. Shes still recieving treatment for her illness and i was wondering where to look to see if shes entitled to any kind of benefit to help her with cost of living etc?
Page 1
    • Astar1809
    • By Astar1809 17th Jun 19, 9:56 AM
    • 34 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Astar1809
    • 17th Jun 19, 9:56 AM
    • 17th Jun 19, 9:56 AM
    When you say sick pay, is this work sick pay or that Statuary Sick pay has been paid for 28 weeks and has stopped?

If it have stopped an SSP1 (forgive me if that wrong name of form, working from memory) needs to be filled out by the employer to assist with Universal credit being issued.
    • britishboy
    • By britishboy 17th Jun 19, 10:00 AM
    • 2,909 Posts
    • 394 Thanks
    britishboy
    • 17th Jun 19, 10:00 AM
    • 17th Jun 19, 10:00 AM
    Sorry Astar1809, both have stopped, company sick pay and also SSP i think. She now gets nothing at all

So the employer should of filled out the SSP1 form?
    • Astar1809
    • By Astar1809 17th Jun 19, 10:06 AM
    • 34 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Astar1809
    • 17th Jun 19, 10:06 AM
    • 17th Jun 19, 10:06 AM
    Sorry Astar1809, both have stopped, company sick pay and also SSP i think. She now gets nothing at all

So the employer should of filled out the SSP1 form?
    Originally posted by britishboy
    I would be harsh to blame the employer as they need to be led by the employee they wish to go down this route (from personal experience I have had people who have wanted to avoid Universal credit due to the stigma attached with it).

It would be worth informing the employer of the situation and urge them to fill out a form so they can apply for Universal credit (what she would be eligable for varies on a variety of factors).
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 17th Jun 19, 10:46 AM
    • 12,371 Posts
    • 14,164 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    • 17th Jun 19, 10:46 AM
    • 17th Jun 19, 10:46 AM
    my partner is off work long term sick due to personal issues and her sick pay has stopped. Shes still recieving treatment for her illness and i was wondering where to look to see if shes entitled to any kind of benefit to help her with cost of living etc?
    Do you live together?
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 17th Jun 19, 10:49 AM
    • 6,583 Posts
    • 7,294 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 17th Jun 19, 10:49 AM
    • 17th Jun 19, 10:49 AM
    I would be harsh to blame the employer as they need to be led by the employee they wish to go down this route (from personal experience I have had people who have wanted to avoid Universal credit due to the stigma attached with it).

It would be worth informing the employer of the situation and urge them to fill out a form so they can apply for Universal credit (what she would be eligable for varies on a variety of factors).
    Originally posted by Astar1809

It's not harsh to blame the employer at all. They should know that a SSP1 needs to be issued in order for an employee to claim sickness benefit.
    Depending on how much she was earning before going sick, she may be able to claim New Style ESA, the equivalent of the old Contribution based ESA.
    • britishboy
    • By britishboy 17th Jun 19, 12:03 PM
    • 2,909 Posts
    • 394 Thanks
    britishboy
    • 17th Jun 19, 12:03 PM
    • 17th Jun 19, 12:03 PM
    Do you live together?
    Originally posted by pmlindyloo

Hi pmlindyloo, she spends 3 or 4 nights a week at mine (its my house in my name, my mortgage etc) as she stays half the week (usuall alternating nights) at her mothers to help with things like food and bathing etc as her mum is in her 80's)
    • britishboy
    • By britishboy 17th Jun 19, 12:06 PM
    • 2,909 Posts
    • 394 Thanks
    britishboy
    • 17th Jun 19, 12:06 PM
    • 17th Jun 19, 12:06 PM
    It's not harsh to blame the employer at all. They should know that a SSP1 needs to be issued in order for an employee to claim sickness benefit.
    Depending on how much she was earning before going sick, she may be able to claim New Style ESA, the equivalent of the old Contribution based ESA.
    Originally posted by TELLIT01

Thanks TELLIT01 - her pay stopped completely in september last year, and I think she got about 180 for a couple of months, since then, not a penny.

She was earning approx 30k before going off sick, not sure how that equates with your comment about New Style ESA/old contribution based ESA?
    • WhenIam64
    • By WhenIam64 17th Jun 19, 1:06 PM
    • 541 Posts
    • 299 Thanks
    WhenIam64
    • 17th Jun 19, 1:06 PM
    • 17th Jun 19, 1:06 PM
    Here is the link to the form

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/statutory-sick-pay-employee-not-entitled-form-for-employers

If she was employed, then NI would have been paid. This is the basis of being able to apply for new-style ESA.

How to claim is here

https://www.gov.uk/how-to-claim-new-style-esa

If you/she has problems with forms your local benefits charity/CAB should be able to help IF they have internet access. Some charities have been given grants to help people with "digital issues".
    Unlike some here, I am not omniscient. If I am wrong correct me. I won't take offence.
    • calcotti
    • By calcotti 17th Jun 19, 1:33 PM
    • 2,834 Posts
    • 1,907 Thanks
    calcotti
    She should definitely claim new style ESA. If she can get her GP to give her a backdated Fit Note she can backdate the ESA claim by up to 3 months. New style ESA is not means tested.

You may be able to make a joint claim for Universal Credit if you are on a low income and have capital of less than 16,000. UC is means tested.

Depending on the nature of your partner's health condition, how it affects her and whether it is going to be long term she may be able to claim Personal Independence Payment which is not means tested.
    • Paparika
    • By Paparika 17th Jun 19, 2:54 PM
    • 2,384 Posts
    • 2,351 Thanks
    Paparika
    Go for the NEW ESA route.

Don't be railroaded to UC, as they will take what you earn too, (you're a couple regardless)
    Life is about give and take, if you can't give why should you take?
    • britishboy
    • By britishboy 18th Jun 19, 1:24 PM
    • 2,909 Posts
    • 394 Thanks
    britishboy
    She should definitely claim new style ESA. If she can get her GP to give her a backdated Fit Note she can backdate the ESA claim by up to 3 months. New style ESA is not means tested.

You may be able to make a joint claim for Universal Credit if you are on a low income and have capital of less than 16,000. UC is means tested.

Depending on the nature of your partner's health condition, how it affects her and whether it is going to be long term she may be able to claim Personal Independence Payment which is not means tested.
    Originally posted by calcotti

Thanks Calcotti - Will look into ESA and see if it can be backdated.

We arent on a low income but i dont have savings anywhere near 16,000, but im guessing my income could effect what she would get, if we went down the UC path?

I think her condition will be longer term than the next few months, sadly, so will look at the PIP too with her. Thanks again for your help
    • britishboy
    • By britishboy 18th Jun 19, 1:26 PM
    • 2,909 Posts
    • 394 Thanks
    britishboy
    Go for the NEW ESA route.

Don't be railroaded to UC, as they will take what you earn too, (you're a couple regardless)
    Originally posted by Paparika

Thanks Paparika, would/could they try to encourage her to go down the UC route, or does it all depend on what she asks to claim for (UC or new ESA)?
    • britishboy
    • By britishboy 18th Jun 19, 1:32 PM
    • 2,909 Posts
    • 394 Thanks
    britishboy
    Is this sometihng she should maybe see Citizens Advice about? Maybe call them and make an appointment? (never used them before, so no idea if its worth doing or is even who she should see)
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 18th Jun 19, 1:38 PM
    • 5,448 Posts
    • 5,041 Thanks
    poppy12345
    Thanks Paparika, would/could they try to encourage her to go down the UC route, or does it all depend on what she asks to claim for (UC or new ESA)?
    No. They are 2 different benefits. New style ESA isn't means tested and UC is. New style ESA isn't part of UC.

New style ESA is only paid for 12 months unless placed into the Support Group and then it's paid for as long as you remain in the group. It pays 73.10 per week assessment rate. 111.85 per week if placed into the Support Group and is paid from the 14th week of your claim. If the assessment decision takes longer then any money owed will be backdated.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,623Posts Today

6,001Users online

Martin's Twitter