Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 17th Jun 19, 7:24 AM
    • 20,530Posts
    • 34,262Thanks
    Spendless
    Body Lotions, Body Butters etc
    • 17th Jun 19, 7:24 AM
    Body Lotions, Body Butters etc 17th Jun 19 at 7:24 AM
    I was going to continue the title 'what's the point?' but I have no wish to antognise those who love them, instead I want those who do love them to educate me instead.

I have several body lotions, body butters and cremes. Several unopened. Whilst I've never bought one I've either received as a gift or it's come as part of a set.

I don't suffer from dry skin on my body with the exception of my elbows sometimes and my feet frequently (and need a chirpodist to sort out). On the times I do remember to use a body lotion when getting out of the bath, I don't think it does anything other than give a pleasant smell.

Am I missing something in how to use it? I'd love to be able to use my stuff up, I currently have soap and glory, elemis and sanctuary all waiting there to be used but is it all pointless since I don't have dry skin anyway?
Page 1
    • downshifter
    • By downshifter 17th Jun 19, 8:12 AM
    • 1,100 Posts
    • 1,918 Thanks
    downshifter
    • 17th Jun 19, 8:12 AM
    • 17th Jun 19, 8:12 AM
    Why not send the unopened ones to a charity shop which will diminish your stock by a bit. The others you could use as handcream in the kitchen or on your feet after a shower - just as a preventative measure to stop them getting dry/itchy in the future. As you say, at least they smell nice even if you don't feel they do you any good.

If you google something along the lines of 'how to use up unwanted body lotion' or similar you'll come across tons of ideas.

DS
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 17th Jun 19, 9:11 AM
    • 20,530 Posts
    • 34,262 Thanks
    Spendless
    • 17th Jun 19, 9:11 AM
    • 17th Jun 19, 9:11 AM
    Why not send the unopened ones to a charity shop which will diminish your stock by a bit. The others you could use as handcream in the kitchen or on your feet after a shower - just as a preventative measure to stop them getting dry/itchy in the future. As you say, at least they smell nice even if you don't feel they do you any good.

If you google something along the lines of 'how to use up unwanted body lotion' or similar you'll come across tons of ideas.

DS
    Originally posted by downshifter
    This is why I'm asking. I want to know if the body lotions etc are going to be in any way benefical to me or there's no point due to not sufferring from dry skin?. Am I using them correctly is there something I've missed about using them?

If I can use them myself, I'd like to. Many were given as presents. If there's no point then I'll donate locally, as I know of a couple of hygiene poverty collection points. I've already donated some there.
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 17th Jun 19, 9:32 AM
    • 1,839 Posts
    • 2,204 Thanks
    need an answer
    • 17th Jun 19, 9:32 AM
    • 17th Jun 19, 9:32 AM
    Why don't you just try one of them for a month and see if it does soften your skin.

Everyone is different,I use them and whilst I wouldn't claim they change my life,my skin does feel more elastic and hydrated as a result of using them...I would consider my skin,not dry,just normal.

If after a period of trying one you still feel there is no difference then look to donate them or bundle them together and perhaps try ebay or a facegroup to sell them on.

I'm in the category that I don't actually buy them per se but I do get a good supply of samples so in terms of outlay I have enough to satisfy my needs without spending real money.
    in S 29 T 9 F 30
    out S 32 T 11 F 37
    2017 -32 2018 -33
    • downshifter
    • By downshifter 17th Jun 19, 9:41 AM
    • 1,100 Posts
    • 1,918 Thanks
    downshifter
    • 17th Jun 19, 9:41 AM
    • 17th Jun 19, 9:41 AM
    No great mystery or way of using them, just a bit of pampering, can make your skin feel smooth and smell nice. No particular therapeutic message if those particular qualities don't rock your boat. There doesn't always have to be a great purpose for everything, things can be 'just nice' - lots of things don't have a point to them. (husbands, avocado on toast, cheap chocolate spring to mind immediately!) My thing is pretty or nice-smelling soaps. I just like the having of them and the way they look or smell in the bathroom. I often look for them in charity shops. However lots of perfumed toiletries have various chemicals in them that you might not want in your house so if that's an issue for you, then get rid.

I also have quite a few bottles of body lotion, always gifts, they sit on the shelf in the bathroom looking pretty. If the person who gave it to me visits, I sometimes open just theirs on the shelf and pretend I use it daily!!! Some I do too if I remember.

You sound a bit resistant so in that case, definitely give them away. At the foodback where I worked, we'd save these for people who were seriously ill and who we thought might like a bit of a treat. And for the Xmas bags.

DS
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 17th Jun 19, 9:43 AM
    • 20,530 Posts
    • 34,262 Thanks
    Spendless
    • 17th Jun 19, 9:43 AM
    • 17th Jun 19, 9:43 AM
    Why don't you just try one of them for a month and see if it does soften your skin.

Everyone is different,I use them and whilst I wouldn't claim they change my life,my skin does feel more elastic and hydrated as a result of using them...I would consider my skin,not dry,just normal.

If after a period of trying one you still feel there is no difference then look to donate them or bundle them together and perhaps try ebay or a facegroup to sell them on.

I'm in the category that I don't actually buy them per se but I do get a good supply of samples so in terms of outlay I have enough to satisfy my needs without spending real money.
    Originally posted by need an answer
    That's a good point. I haven't ever continuisaly tried one for a month. Just used when I remember. I'll give that a go, at the end of the month I have my answer, I either keep or donate.
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 17th Jun 19, 10:04 AM
    • 20,530 Posts
    • 34,262 Thanks
    Spendless
    • 17th Jun 19, 10:04 AM
    • 17th Jun 19, 10:04 AM
    No great mystery or way of using them, just a bit of pampering, can make your skin feel smooth and smell nice. No particular therapeutic message if those particular qualities don't rock your boat. There doesn't always have to be a great purpose for everything, things can be 'just nice' - lots of things don't have a point to them. (husbands, avocado on toast, cheap chocolate spring to mind immediately!) My thing is pretty or nice-smelling soaps. I just like the having of them and the way they look or smell in the bathroom. I often look for them in charity shops. However lots of perfumed toiletries have various chemicals in them that you might not want in your house so if that's an issue for you, then get rid.

I also have quite a few bottles of body lotion, always gifts, they sit on the shelf in the bathroom looking pretty. If the person who gave it to me visits, I sometimes open just theirs on the shelf and pretend I use it daily!!! Some I do too if I remember.

You sound a bit resistant so in that case, definitely give them away. At the foodback where I worked, we'd save these for people who were seriously ill and who we thought might like a bit of a treat. And for the Xmas bags.

DS
    Originally posted by downshifter
    Hahaha that made me laugh about things that don't have a point. I suppose I either want to use up every last drop on me or give them away rather than having tubs of part used lotions that I use sometimes if I remember. I've already got some others unopened stashed as they're duplicates of ones in the bathroom. I'm saving them till Christmas as last year there was a toy donation for charity but they struggled with items for teens. I've kept some items back to make up a set and donate this year.
    • barbiedoll
    • By barbiedoll 17th Jun 19, 5:08 PM
    • 4,955 Posts
    • 13,663 Thanks
    barbiedoll
    • 17th Jun 19, 5:08 PM
    • 17th Jun 19, 5:08 PM
    I must admit, I donít use body lotion or any stuff like that, I canít tolerate anything with a strong smell, and I just donít like the feel of lotion or cream on my skin, itís always so sticky and/or greasy. My skin isnít really dry, and I have to be very careful with what I use anyway as a lot of stuff makes me itch. So I donít bother.

I know that some food banks and womenís refuges really appreciate unopened toiletries, so if youíre not going to use them....donate them. Lots of women love them, even if we donít!
    "I may be many things but not being indiscreet isn't one of them"
    • Deeanna98
    • By Deeanna98 18th Jun 19, 7:05 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Deeanna98
    • 18th Jun 19, 7:05 AM
    body butter
    • 18th Jun 19, 7:05 AM
    body lotion is good for you. recently i bought a body butter from chiltan pure and i am using it for myself.it's have been weak and i am getting a good result.
    • mimi1234
    • By mimi1234 19th Jun 19, 9:45 AM
    • 7,457 Posts
    • 65,043 Thanks
    mimi1234
    Send them to me! I go through body butters and body lotions and body oils like they are going out of fashion but then I do have very dry skin.

The ones you mentioned are high quality ones. Elemis products are quite costly. Soap and Glory is also a very nice brand.

If you don't take them to a hygiene bank, you could always sell them on eBay or something or on Facebook as they will probably make you a fair amount which you could spend on something for yourself.
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 19th Jun 19, 3:47 PM
    • 26,238 Posts
    • 69,350 Thanks
    pollypenny
    I love Soap and Glory body butter, but that's the only one.

Lotions are good for the skin. After being away for a week with no lotions, I found that my shins were very dry. Older women tend to get ulcers on their shins, so it's worth keeping skin moistened.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 29th Jun 19, 2:30 PM
    • 2,750 Posts
    • 3,966 Thanks
    Kim kim
    Iíd love to use a body lotion/cream/butter every day, but I feel like itís rewetting your body after drying it & when Iím rushing to get ready for work early in the morning itís just a pain!

This one really does work - Elemis Vitamin Rich Body Lotion, I think it may have been discontinued:-( the nourishing body lotion is also good.

But I still rarely use them.

For over 40 years I used cheap shower gels, a couple of quid a bottle, I always had dry elbows. A few years ago I changed to only luxury toiletries and I havenít got dry elbows anymore.
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 3rd Jul 19, 3:14 PM
    • 4,676 Posts
    • 8,875 Thanks
    Murphybear
    Iíd love to use a body lotion/cream/butter every day, but I feel like itís rewetting your body after drying it & when Iím rushing to get ready for work early in the morning itís just a pain!

This one really does work - Elemis Vitamin Rich Body Lotion, I think it may have been discontinued:-( the nourishing body lotion is also good.

But I still rarely use them.

For over 40 years I used cheap shower gels, a couple of quid a bottle, I always had dry elbows. A few years ago I changed to only luxury toiletries and I havenít got dry elbows anymore.
    Originally posted by Kim kim
    If you want to save time have a look at Sanctuary Spa Wet Skin Moisture Miracle. The blurb from their site:

ďKeep it in or just near your shower, after showering apply to wet skin before you towel dry & enjoy super-hydrated skin every day!

Faster absorbing & quicker to use than a regular lotion, this is the ultimate moisturiser to use when you are short on time.Ē

I use it after every shower and it takes literally seconds to cover most of me
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 3rd Jul 19, 6:05 PM
    • 2,750 Posts
    • 3,966 Thanks
    Kim kim
    If you want to save time have a look at Sanctuary Spa Wet Skin Moisture Miracle. The blurb from their site:

ďKeep it in or just near your shower, after showering apply to wet skin before you towel dry & enjoy super-hydrated skin every day!

Faster absorbing & quicker to use than a regular lotion, this is the ultimate moisturiser to use when you are short on time.Ē

I use it after every shower and it takes literally seconds to cover most of me
    Originally posted by Murphybear
    I bought some a while ago, but I havenít used it yet.
    Iím struggling to get my head around how the towel doesnít get coated in it, when you dry yourself.
    Please tell me.
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 9th Jul 19, 2:18 PM
    • 20,530 Posts
    • 34,262 Thanks
    Spendless
    Ok, so I've been doing the suggestion to use more frequently for a few weeks now, though I still don't remember every time. I've seen a very small difference in skin on my arms, but a huge difference in my elbows.

On using them I've discovered that I prefer a thicker butter but the smell has to be good too.

Soap and glory, I'm not all that fussed about, but I think it's because the tubs are big and I'm bored long before I've got to the bottom. I currently feel this way about the S&G clean on me shower gel I'm using.

I now have 3 unopened lotions etc to use and I've no idea which to try next.

Champneys citrus blush body butter
    Bayliss & Harding jojoba & almond oil
    Elemis Frngipani body creme.

I do feel the way kim kim does, that it's a bit of a faff when you've just got dried, so once these 3 are gone, I'll be looking into the ones you apply when wet instead.
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 9th Jul 19, 2:27 PM
    • 20,530 Posts
    • 34,262 Thanks
    Spendless
    Originally posted by Kim kim
    What toileties are you using that's eliminates dry elbows? Since the beginning of the year (due to toiletries received at xmas) bubble bath has been badedas, Ted Baker or Sanctuary. Bodywash/shower gel has been soap and glory as is current scrub.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,298Posts Today

7,556Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have you ever been scammed? If so did you keep it quiet? If not would you keep it quiet or tell people? Please vot? https://t.co/68bkmbT9gc

• Short lived promo from Virgin - 100mb broadband (that's seriously fast) AND line for equiv of £19/mth - that's les? https://t.co/QqEwbcvsRN

• Disgraceful. Though sadly he may well have had a straw matted hair, a slightly orange look, and own a Scottish gol? https://t.co/NeXBS0ZeRc

• Follow Martin