Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Londonlisa12
    • By Londonlisa12 10th Jun 19, 7:48 PM
    • 80Posts
    • 33Thanks
    Londonlisa12
    Abolish BBC licence petition
    • 10th Jun 19, 7:48 PM
    Abolish BBC licence petition 10th Jun 19 at 7:48 PM
    https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/235653

It’s about time this tax was abolished please sign and post the link on every forum you know.

Why should we all pay for this propaganda organisation?
Page 2
    • kangoora
    • By kangoora 13th Jun 19, 10:49 PM
    • 734 Posts
    • 613 Thanks
    kangoora
    I'd be quite happy if the BBC was funded by advertising or subscription. I wouldn't have to watch many adverts in the approximately 3-4 hours a week of BBC TV I do watch.

This works out costing me roughly £1/hour for the privilege of watching the Beeb........

If they wanted to save money how about canning the 40 local radio stations they have - I can honestly say I've never listened to BBC local radio in my life and I'd bet I'm not alone in that.
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 16th Jun 19, 4:48 PM
    • 4,682 Posts
    • 8,889 Thanks
    Murphybear
    Also, the BBC will need to invest in more detector vans to target the new army of licensable viewers. Perhaps, retirement homes would be a good first target. It is easier to frighten the elderly into paying!
    Originally posted by Sterlingtimes
    If you have independent living ie your own flat within a retirement complex you only need to pay £7.50 a year.
    • ceredigion
    • By ceredigion 16th Jun 19, 5:22 PM
    • 3,352 Posts
    • 4,756 Thanks
    ceredigion
    Either through a subscription model where people can pay for the services they use or view, or a traditional advertising model.

It does seem unfair that it is a legal requirement to pay the fee even if you do not use the services.
    Originally posted by Astar1809
    Can we expand that rationale to Education, NHS, Road's, Social care, social services………… The list is endless I would rather pay if I need rather than 40% of my toil
    • Astar1809
    • By Astar1809 17th Jun 19, 7:17 AM
    • 34 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Astar1809
    Can we expand that rationale to Education, NHS, Road's, Social care, social services………… The list is endless I would rather pay if I need rather than 40% of my toil
    Originally posted by ceredigion
    You are now talking about two different areas here, Taxes and National insurance cover the areas you mention, this is a separate "tax" disguised as a TV Licence. ~

If you want to make tongue in cheek remarks then lets compare apples for apples shall we.

A direct comparison is if an internet content provider such as Yahoo.com (I choose Yahoo as They have various media, news and search engine arms to the business but are likely to be as popular in your life as BBC productions are in mine) decided they offered great content so needed to enforce a charge for the media content they produce. This means you now have to pay £10 a month to legally access any devise that can connect to the internet, it does not matter if you view/use Yahoo.com content you still had to pay a £10 a month "internet licence", would you be happy to just stump up the money?

If you say yes you would be happy to pay for content you do not and will not use quite frankly you are bonkers.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

115Posts Today

2,290Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • A brilliant and gripping profile of Boris Johnson by the great @JPonpolitics well worth the 15 minute read https://t.co/odelHYEbRg

• Boris Johnson is now going to be our prime minister. Worth a pause for thought, whatever your political persuasion.

• Boy they're dragging out this #conservativeleadership announcement.Three introducers now each grabbing air time. Get on with it please!

• Follow Martin