Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 5th Feb 17, 10:27 AM
    • 3,602Posts
    • 19,249Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Get a grip !
    • 5th Feb 17, 10:27 AM
    Get a grip ! 5th Feb 17 at 10:27 AM
    .....25/11/2018 ......
    I have decided to update as its been ages since I started this thread and so much has changed including my priorities.....

We gained a puppy after starting this thread and although she is a handful she has given me something to focus on and to get up for each day.

DS split from one long-term gf and is now several months into a new relationship and started a new job and seems very happy.

Sadly DM passed away suddenly this year and I miss her every day. Then DF was seriously ill in hospital with sepsis and almost died but thankfully he found the strength to pull through and is making a full recovery physically. We are supporting one another emotionally as a family.

I started this thread with the focus on saving some money. That hasn't happened and I have ended up with some debt on a 0% credit card but it is being paid off as planned and I am still managing to pay all bills and still have some money to spend with friends. I am planning to start saving for an emergency fund in the new year 2019.
    Last edited by Skint yet Again; 25-11-2018 at 6:52 AM.
    Balance 0% credit card to pay 1360 848
    Balance 0% Car Loan to pay 940 finishes 1/1/2020
    Emergency fund 100/500 Car Fund savings 300
Page 68
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 9th Jun 19, 6:25 PM
    • 14,011 Posts
    • 47,501 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Good I was panicking you had wiped yourself out with overwork! I hope you are feeling better.
    Christmas Fund 168
    Reminder: summer is about making money
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 12th Jun 19, 8:57 PM
    • 3,602 Posts
    • 19,249 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    I went back to work on Tuesday and have taken breakfast and a packed lunch both days this week.

After work today I did a trip to the tip with a car full of junk. The tip is just round the corner from work so I saved a trip by going on the way home

New water bill arrived going up to 13.14 July then 13.15 for 7 months increased from 12.79.

My birthday card refund 5.98 has gone through back onto my credit card

Added DS's gf to home insurance cost 2.24

I got a fathers day card in Tesco today 1 for a lovely hallmark card & bought 6 first class stamps, will pay for these from birthday etc fund.

It poured with rain when I came out of Tesco and I got soaked
    but it gave the car a wash

DS & gf walked puppy dog twice today so I didn't have to

A good day, more than

Last edited by Skint yet Again; 12-06-2019 at 9:00 PM.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 15th Jun 19, 5:36 AM
    • 3,602 Posts
    • 19,249 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    It was a lovely sunny afternoon yesterday. DS gf walked puppy dog. I met with a friend after work and we went for lunch in the local pub. 2 for 9.99 and a drink each 3.20 = 8.20 from entertainment fund. Had a lovely chilled afternoon.

When I got home I hoovered the dog carpet and kitchen tiled floor and cut the grass. Then had a snooze with the dog

Its a sunny breezy morning today. not sure if it will rain later. "Rent" from DS and gf will be due in next few days, they get paid on 15th, so I can then sort out my credit card payments & savings.

Next Saturday I am out for a friends birthday we are going for high tea at a local place 10 which will come from birthday fund and I already have a card in my stash which I bought a few months ago.

DF has gone to my sister for fathers day so I am glad he is not home alone. I have sent him a card and already buy him a magazine subscription for birthday/xmas/fathers day.

More decluttering to do today! DS has gone to work. Puppy dog has been fed and is snoozing. I think I will walk her this morning and then DS & gf can walk her this afternoon/evening when DS gets home. Time is now 6.35, just off back to bed for a few hours
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 15th Jun 19, 7:12 PM
    • 14,011 Posts
    • 47,501 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    I hope your meal was good yesterday and that you had a good rest this weekend.

I hope your father had a good Father's Day too.
    Christmas Fund 168
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 16th Jun 19, 5:40 AM
    • 3,602 Posts
    • 19,249 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    I walked puppy dog before the rain yesterday. It brightened up around 2pm so I put some washing out. It was quite windy so it dried in around an hour before it rained again. I cleared another kitchen cupboard, cleaned the bathroom and did a bit of gardening when the sun appeared around 6pm. Am hoping to meet up with a friend later today depending on the weather, the forecast was raining all morning and sunny periods this afternoon.

Decluttering week 24 - w/e sun 16 June - 9 tins of paint dried up / dregs left. old hoover no longer working & not needed now I have my vax blade & shark. 8 old baking tins/cake tins inherited years ago and never used. Old flan/quiche dish with crack in side not used for years. Why oh why do I keep all this stuff !!
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 16th Jun 19, 7:46 PM
    • 14,011 Posts
    • 47,501 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    I hope you had a good day and were able to meet up with your friend. Well done on decluttering - As to your question, apart from my spare room my house is tidy but I have so many posh tins. I don't want to get rid of them even if they are empty they might come in useful one day.....

Have a good day tomorrow.
    Christmas Fund 168
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 17th Jun 19, 8:32 PM
    • 3,602 Posts
    • 19,249 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    I helped DS's girlfriend sort some of her stuff yesterday and walked puppy dog in the morning before the rain.

My friend came round about 4pm last night when it brightened up and we went to the pub but it was very busy and noisy so we picked up an indian and went back to her house. spends 2.70 and 6.00 from entertainment budget.

I went shopping after work today total spend around 19 (haven't got receipt to hand at the moment) Food this week

Breakfasts
    porridge & banana & honey
    scrambled egg

Lunches
    pulled pork, cheese & onion, egg mayo roll & crisps

Dinners
    fajitas
    chilli chicken stir fry & noodles
    pulled pork chips & sweetcorn
    pulled pork. jacket potato & veg & gravy
    spag bol
    chilli & rice
    Red thai curry chicken
    Fish pie

in stores already = 1/2 tin beans put in chilli, wraps, noodles, porridge, honey mince beef, kidney beans in freezer, passata, peppers corgettes, onions, rice, thai red curry paste & coconut milk in freezer, spaghetti, herbs, spices, butter, olive oil, gravy granuals.

I had spag bol for tea & one portion left for the freezer along with 2 portions of chilli made this afternoon. Also helped DS's gf to build a wardrobe from IKEA, the instructions were awful !!! but we got it sorted and put together

Am shattered am in bed now for an early night zzzzzz
    Last edited by Skint yet Again; 17-06-2019 at 8:34 PM.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 20th Jun 19, 9:35 PM
    • 3,602 Posts
    • 19,249 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    So I found my receipt shopping on Monday came to 19.26. I have paid 50 to my 0% credit card plus 6 fee for transfer of vet fees, 100 into emergency fund, 100 into annual bills account and 50 into birthdays / Xmas account this month.

I have 45.73 to last till payday. I need 10 petrol and shopping should be minimal as I have leftovers in freezer. I am out Saturday for a friends birthday which will be 10 for high tea at local cafe and 10 for drinks on the walk back, apparently we have 2 pubs to call in ! It's supposed to be sunny so I am looking forward to it

If I need a bit extra I can take Saturday spends out of the birthdays account. I already have a card in my stash bought months ago.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 22nd Jun 19, 5:15 AM
    • 3,602 Posts
    • 19,249 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Hurrah for the weekend

I have made a list of the food left in stores/freezer and I should have enough to last till payday apart from bread rolls, ham, bananas and crisps which I will get from aldi on Monday. I went to asda yesterday and got a new bath mat 5 paid from household fund. My car service plan refund arrived, 322 so I have put 300 into a separate car fund and left 22 in my current account in case I overspend before payday ! If its still there then, I will either overpay on my credit card or put it with the other car money.

Me and puppy dog had a lovely afternoon walk yesterday, but it was very hot so I didn't let her run around for long. When I got back I scrubbed down the patio and rinsed out and refilled her paddling pool, so she was jumping in and out of that all afternoon Also hoovered the carpet in puppy dog room and tiled kitchen floor and got 2 loads of washing all dried outside DS's girlfriend hung one load of towels out in the morning while I was at work and I did my clothes when I got home.

Last night I had red thai curry for tea. I defrosted the coconut milk and it was perfect. I remember now it was the lower fat version tin I bought so maybe that had something to do with why it didn't split, but I would definitely get that again.

Today I am out at 11.30am, hence the reason I did all my jobs yesterday . We are going to a friends house for pre-lunch drinks then walking to the caf!. After lunch we are walking home, calling off at a few local pubs Should hopefully walk off some of the calories from high tea /cakes etc I have 20 to spend, so hope to keep in budget.

I will walk puppy dog a bit later before I go out. Have just fed her. DS got in around midnight and his gf finished work at 3am so they can have a lie in. I fed puppy dog at 5.30am and DS gf had tidied up and loaded the dishwasher when she got in, she's very tidy so she's a keeper
    Last edited by Skint yet Again; 22-06-2019 at 5:28 AM.
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 23rd Jun 19, 2:51 PM
    • 14,011 Posts
    • 47,501 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Hurrah for car money coming back! Your curry sounds great. Well done on walking in the hot weather. You are v disciplined. I just ate at Andy's mum's barbeque and we just sat all day!

I am so glad DS girlfriend is so nice and helpful. Have a fabulous day today.
    Christmas Fund 168
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 24th Jun 19, 8:06 PM
    • 3,602 Posts
    • 19,249 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Had a lovely day on Saturday. The weather was glorious with a nice breeze. Afternoon tea was lovely 10 and sat in pub garden after. 10 into kitty each so 50 between 5 of us. Had a couple of glasses of prosecco then went onto diet coke. Slapped on loads of factor 30 so didn't burn & short walk home so no taxi fare.

Sunday I had a lie in DS and his gf walked the dog. I did a bit of gardening and cut the lawn in the afternoon, it was very hot and muggy but cloudy. One load of washing done and dried on the line.

Today I went got petrol after work 10 and went to aldi and got a few things to last the week. Total spend 9.71. With the food left from weeks 1-3 the menu this week is

breakfast - porridge & banana with honey. or
    Scrambled egg.
    lunch - ham or cheese or egg or pulled pork roll & crisps

dinners-
    fajhitas
    pulled pork & chips & tinned sweetcorn/salad
    spag bol
    fish pie (aldi 69p) & green veg
    Cajun pork chops, new potatoes & salad
    korma chicken & chips or rice

snacks/dessert - mini choc roll, tinned pineapple, yoghurt

I have managed to stick within my 25 a week budget for food & cleaning products so am really pleased. Hoping to do the same next month.

Had a lovely walk with the dog after unpacking the shopping. Lots of wildflowers and bees and birds and she was chasing butterflies. It was warm with a nice breeze, but we have thunderstorms and rain forecast for tonight/tomorrow and 30 degree heat by the end of the week .. too hot for me & the dog.
    Last edited by Skint yet Again; 24-06-2019 at 8:09 PM.
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 28th Jun 19, 9:29 PM
    • 14,011 Posts
    • 47,501 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    It was even hotter today. Hope you are ok and having a good weekend.
    Christmas Fund 168
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 29th Jun 19, 4:20 PM
    • 3,602 Posts
    • 19,249 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Wow its been scorchio today !

I walked the dog early this morning to avoid the heat. We have been under the sun shade and dipping our feet in the paddling pool all day to cool down

DS got in from work at 2am and his gf went to work at 8am. Me and DS had burgers on the BBQ for lunch I have done 2 loads of washing before and after the BBQ but not much else done today.

Here's the budget for July

Statement of Affairs and Personal Balance Sheet
    Monthly Income Details

Monthly income after tax...1122.96
    Other income............... 190 bills from DS & his gf
    Total monthly income.... 1312.96

Monthly Expense Details

Mortgage................... 227.4
    Council tax................ 148
    Electricity................. 70 & gas
    Water rates................. 49
    Mobile phone............. 7.55
    TV Licence............... 12.37
    Satellite/Cable TV....... 51 Tivo / broadband/phone
    Groceries etc. ......................... 120
    Petrol/diesel........................... 40
    Car maintenance (including MOT)......... 25
    Presents (birthday, christmas etc)...... 50
    Entertainment........................... 50
    Emergency fund.......................... 100
    dog food ............................... 10
    union fees.............................. 8.54
    annual bills ........................... 100
    Total monthly expenses......1068.86

Secured & HP Debts[/b]
    Description..........Debt......Monthly...APR
    Mortgage.............. 0........(227.4)....0
    Total secured & HP debts...... 0.........-.........-

Unsecured Debts
    Description..Debt......Monthly...APR
    car...............0.........160.......0
    cc................0.........50........0
    Total unsecured debts....210.......-

Monthly Budget Summary

Total monthly income.................... 1,312.96
    Expenses (including HP & secured debts). 1,068.86
    Available for debt repayments........... 244.1
    Monthly UNsecured debt repayments....... 210

Amount left after debt repayments....... 34.1

Created using the SOA calculator at www.stoozing.com.
    Reproduced on Moneysavingexpert with permission, using other browser.

car/house insurance, car tax, breakdown cover, haircuts, clothes, paid from annual bills savings 100 per month

Last edited by Skint yet Again; 29-06-2019 at 4:37 PM.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 1st Jul 19, 2:16 PM
    • 3,602 Posts
    • 19,249 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Hot again today but not as bad as Saturday ! DS walked the dog this morning so I will walk her tonight when it has cooled down.

I have 120 for grocery shopping in July it was 100 but I have given myself an extra 20 for cans of Pepsi max & ice creams in the heat. Shopping in aldi today 27.77 including dishwasher tablets, handwash, washing up liquid & 9 toilet rolls. 4 in co-op for 12 cans Pepsi max.

Grocery budget 31.77 / 120

Meals this week-

Breakfast porridge & banana or scrambled egg

Lunch - sandwich (tuna or cheese or egg roll) crisps

Dinners -
    Gammon, chips or jacket potato, salad, tinned pineapple
    Chinese chicken & egg fried rice
    Sweet chilli chicken & salad
    Fish pie & veg
    Pulled pork, chips & tinned sweetcorn
    Spag Bol
    Sausage & mash - half price

Snacks / dessert - tinned pineapple, tinned peaches, yoghurt.

I am out to lunch with a friend tomorrow we are going to local pub 2 for 9.99 DS is off work so he will walk the dog so I can just chill out for the afternoon
    Last edited by Skint yet Again; 01-07-2019 at 2:19 PM.
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 1st Jul 19, 8:51 PM
    • 14,011 Posts
    • 47,501 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Well done on a good food shop. Your meal prep looks great.

I hope you enjoy your meal with friend tomorrow. Weather was gorgeous today. It's going to last for at least a week.
    Christmas Fund 168
    • pinknsparkly
    • By pinknsparkly 3rd Jul 19, 8:16 AM
    • 381 Posts
    • 857 Thanks
    pinknsparkly
    Hope you enjoyed lunch with your friend Skinty! And I'm definitely on board with allocating an additional 20 to ice cream and Pepsi max in this weather!!

Your meal plan sounds fab - we had fish pie last night too. Both of the BBC good food recipes I found said to add hard boiled eggs to the pie though, I'd never ever come across that idea before Gammon and pineapple is amazing, I love that dinner and so rarely have it! I'm going to have to keep my eyes peeled for cheapo gammon now
    MFW 2019 challenge #99: 6,778.51 / 6,000 (4,500 is in "offset" pot)
    MFiT-T5 (Jan 2019 - Jan 2022) challenge #99: 6,778.51 / 30,000
    Save 12k in 2019 challenge #99: 18,030 / 12,000
    2019 keep moving challenge: 271.3 / 1000 miles
    Last updated: 28/06/2019
    Initial MF date (18th Dec 2018): Jan 2054 Current MF date: Sep 2052
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 3rd Jul 19, 9:41 PM
    • 3,602 Posts
    • 19,249 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Had a lovely meet up with friend. We had a lunch time meal deal I had toasted sandwich, Chips and a drink for 7.49.

Today me & DS's gf took the dog to the foreshore and the dog went for a swim which she enjoyed & cooled her down

I am out for dinner tomorrow. The entertainment fund is taking a battering this week !

I have been working out my finances for when my car is paid off in January. It will free up 160. I will pay 150 plus the usual 50 towards paying off the 0% credit card. Once that is cleared I will pay 200 a month to my emergency fund up to 1000. Once that is reached I will pay 200 a month into a savings account. I know I shouldn't wish my life away but roll on January so I can pay off all my debt and start saving again.
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 4th Jul 19, 4:29 PM
    • 14,011 Posts
    • 47,501 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Well done on a walk by the beach. The food is v value for money and you are within budget so it's fine!

It's fantastic that you will pay off the car by Dec. Then you and I will be both saving together.
    Christmas Fund 168
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 7th Jul 19, 4:54 AM
    • 3,602 Posts
    • 19,249 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Had a day in town yesterday with a friend which was a bit spendy but mostly birthday money I got two pairs of strappy sandals in the sale 9.99 and 14.99 (it has been raining here in the night and more rain now forecast - typical !! ) and spent my 20 gift card in body shop. They had a 3 for 2 offer on so I got loads for my money. Also picked up two tubes of nivea face cream 1 each in savers. We had lunch & drink in a Thai cafe - I had chicken pad Thai yummy ! Cost 8.49 and then later we went to the ice cream parlour and I was very naughty, 1 scoop of fererro rocher and 1 scoop of snickers ice cream 3.50
    DS & his gf were on rest days so they walked puppy dog.

The rain in the night has cooled the air outside. Dog has just been fed and is snoozing, I will walk her later this morning and DS & his gf will take her to the woods later this afternoon / evening. I am going to do some ironing and decluttering later. Just realised I haven't posted last few weeks of my list

Decluttering week 25 w/ending 23 June - mouldy old bath mat binned. Bottles /glass jars to bottle bank

Week 26 w/e 30 June - 2 old coats not worn for years in charity bag.
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 7th Jul 19, 8:32 AM
    • 14,011 Posts
    • 47,501 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Your meals out always sound so good! Glad weather has cooled a bit. Hope you have a good day today.
    Christmas Fund 168
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,934Posts Today

7,826Users online

Martin's Twitter