Phone photos accepted for online passport renewals - don't send selfies

Comments

• 2013yearofthehouse
    2013yearofthehouse Posts: 3,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 26 January 2017 at 3:40PM
    I renewed my passport 3 years ago using a selfie!

I used a 10 mega pixel compact camera, rather than a phone, but the photo was accepted no problem. I just took the photo against a cream wall in my house, cropped the photo down to the required size (which removed my arm showing that I was holding the camera myself) and printed it out at home to send off in the post. Same photo used for my drivers licence too.

Being able to do it online next time will be useful - will still probably use a selfie though! ;)
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    My expectation is very low.

They probably subcontracted G4S to hire minimum wage slaves who barely glance at these photos.

One of these days, your passport will turn up with the picture of a cute puppy, or whatever happened to be on your phone.

If a post office did, it, I could check it before it's sent.
  • I used this a few months ago. Really impressed by the speed and ease of use of the service. I assume it's one of the areas where the GOV.UK digital team has been implementing it, rather than relying on Capita or some other outsourcing rubbish.
  • smudge56
    smudge56 Posts: 640 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    fabsaver wrote: »
    My passport has my signature pre-printed on the photo page. I don't recall have to sign anything at the time, so they must have had my signature stored already. Likewise my new driving licence has my signature printed on it, but my application was completed wholly online.

All passports issued from Monday will have to be signed after receipt no matter how you submitted your application.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    smudge56 wrote: »
    All passports issued from Monday will have to be signed after receipt no matter how you submitted your application.

What's your source for this? I don't disbelieve you, but I have just received my new passport and it already included my signature so I'm not sure why that system would be stopped.
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,529 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    smudge56 wrote: »

Having just posted application form off today I hope that is not the case. At least when it was scanned in it was protected by the lamination. If it is added later there is a greater chance to get messy /wear off!
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks
    -Stash busting: 337 in 2022
    Stash busting: in 2023. 120 doggy duvets, 24 shopping bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lavender bags,36 crochet angels,9 woven bones, 1 crochet knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramid pouches = total 420...£119.50 spent- £114.50 earned= total spend £5. Total earned for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets, 24 pyramid pouches, 6 hot water bottle covers, 4 knitted beanies, 1 crochet angel= 58 £61 spent!!! already
  • smudge56
    smudge56 Posts: 640 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    agrinnall wrote: »
    What's your source for this? I don't disbelieve you, but I have just received my new passport and it already included my signature so I'm not sure why that system would be stopped.

Your passport will have been issued and printed before 30th January. Any issued and printed after that date will no longer have the signature printed on them. These will have to be signed with a black ball point pen. Using a black ball point pen avoids fading apparently
  • Katiehound wrote: »
    Having just posted application form off today I hope that is not the case. At least when it was scanned in it was protected by the lamination. If it is added later there is a greater chance to get messy /wear off!

It will need to be signed with a black ball point pen.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/signing-your-new-passport/signing-your-new-passport
  • katies_mum
    katies_mum Posts: 2,343 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Applied for renewal passport last Monday 30th January. My daughter took about 10 photos of me with her phone and we downloaded the one we thought was the best, it was easy to do and was approved subject to them checking the likeness to my old passport. Posted my old passport the same day.
    Today I have received my new passport (just got to sign it). What brilliant service from the Passport office at the moment, it took 1 week.
  • Aksta
    Aksta Posts: 1 Newbie
    Is this service still available and if so how do you use it? I am near the end of my online application but it still says that I will have to send in my photos :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure