Forged cheque nightmare - HSBC making me pay £10,500

Options
malacka96
malacka96 Posts: 19 Forumite
edited 8 September 2018 at 5:49PM in Budgeting & bank accounts
This past year has been literal hell on Earth. It has been a painful nightmare that I would never wish on my worst enemy. I am a 21 year old university student and October last year the unimaginable happened. I had been called into my former bank HSBC after they said they had frozen it due to unusual activity. When I went they presented me with a cheque of £9566 that had been paid in my name into my account, with my signature forged!! I couldn’t believe it and I was so confused, I thought I had been dreaming!! The money from the cheque had then been transferred to two accounts I have never heard of and supposedly withdrawn by the receipients!

The bank said they would carry out an investigation and I was confident that they would find and punish the !!!!!!!s who did all this and let me use my account a few weeks after the investigation had finished. I had received a call a few weeks prior with someone posing to be HSBC staff, saying that they are updating the system and need to confirm my security details for my internet banking, that if I did not confirm my details my account would get wiped off the system and I would no longer be able to access it online. They were so believable, and I was very naive but fell for it!! I believed it to really be HSBC and never thought that it could be fraudsters.

To my utter shock the bank sent me a letter in January saying they had closed my account and demanded that I pay them over £10,566!!! (£1000 of it being my student overdraft). From then on I spent a lot of money that should have been used on food on transport to and from the bank on multiple occasions to sort it out! I kept receiving frequent threatening letters and calls from the bank’s collection department demanding that I pay the amount of £10,566! The bank insisted that I was the one who paid in the cheque myself! I filed a complaint, and they responded that I signed the cheque myself and that because the secure key was used they believed I authorised the online transfer transactions myself. I filed a report with Action Fraud (police) who recently got back to me saying there is not enough evidence.

To make matters worse, I am completely sure that an ex partner was involved! As I type this I cannot fathom that I could have been so stupid and idiotic! I was dating a guy at the time who was very cunning, he made sure that he would have access to my phone by accusing me of cheating, and he would become very frightening if I did not comply! He also would say that he did not have credit on his phone, so would use mine to make calls or send messages. Being that we were dating he had access to my room also. Not long after this whole cheque fraud happened, he dumped me via phone and I could not access him again. I searched for him on Facebook, various social medias - nothing! His phone number goes straight to voicemail, when I rang on no caller ID it did the same which means he has changed his phone. I could never get hold of him again and he completely disappeared. Similarly, I have not been able to get a hold of his friend either to find out where my ex is and how to contact him. I know I was desperate and very brainless, I regret getting involved with him every single day but never thought he would trick me to the extremes that I would fall victim to identity theft and be left in debt of thousands of pounds from fraud. This has broken me to think that people could be so evil, after the lovely way I treated him!

I have since contacted the Financial Ombudsman but I do not have much confidence in them after reading a string of hundreds of terrible reviews, all along the line of them often unfairly favouring with the banks particularly as they are funded by them.

For the time being I opened an account with Monzo (a mobile app) and use this to take in money from my parents and elsewhere and for day to day use. I have spent almost every night since crying myself to sleep, I have been stressed beyond belief and my depression has worsened dramatically - I missed some lectures because of it though somehow managed to pass my exams through all of this. I barely sleep, I barely eat. I am panicking all the time and worried sick constantly. I’ve had extreme thoughts of ending things. I can’t explain to you how torturous this past year has been. This is the only thing that is ever on my mind and the £10,566 debt weighing over my head as a young girl in her early 20s at uni has made me actually throw up with nausea. I have not been able to enjoy myself and my friends have noted how I’ve become such a different person. Every minute is suffering. Does anyone else know what I can do, if FOS don’t help me out? Are there any other measures that I can take now? Do you have any advice at all? Thank you sincerely.

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Did you exhaust the banks complaints procedure ?
  • malacka96
    Options
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    Did you exhaust the banks complaints procedure ?
    I filed a complaint with a customer service agent and received the response highlighted in my post. I called in many times by phone to complain to the agents who were useless. When I contacted the Financial Ombudsman they notified HSBC who sent me another letter saying that I had already received a response on this case, that their response was 'final' and that they would not go further on the matter. I am recollecting this from memory since I ripped up both letters from the bank in anger.
  • Sapphire
    Sapphire Posts: 4,269 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Try to chalk it down to experience. We all have bad experiences as we go through life, and they are actually opportunities to learn.

Practically speaking, I'm not sure what you can do. To avoid further stress to yourself, it may be best to let the money go (you've probably exhausted all possibilities, unless someone here knows better), stop thinking about the issue and move on with your life. Avoid getting yourself mired deeper and deeper into negative thinking surrounding this experience.

Also perhaps change all your vulnerable online personal details (phone, bank, etc.).
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,123 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    malacka96 wrote: »
    I filed a complaint with a customer service agent and received the response highlighted in my post. I called in many times by phone to complain to the agents who were useless. When I contacted the Financial Ombudsman they notified HSBC who sent me another letter saying that I had already received a response on this case, that their response was 'final' and that they would not go further on the matter. I am recollecting this from memory since I ripped up both letters from the bank in anger.

I think you need a final response to go to the Ombudsman so HSBC were giving you their final response.

That is when you need to refer it to the Ombudsman for their ruling on the case.

https://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/consumer/complaints.htm
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    malacka96 wrote: »
    When I went they presented me with a cheque of £9500 that had been paid in my name into my account, with my signature forged!!

Where did the cheque originate from? Whose account.
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Options
    HSBC believe that you have acted as a money mule. Presumably your signature, or a reasonable facsimile thereof appears on the paying in slip, leading them to conclude that you had knowledge of this fraud.

HSBC may well feel obliged to register a CIFAS marker against you. They might take legal action to recover this £10,500.

As a student, do you have access to any advice services? Is there a legal faculty?
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The signature? Was this on the cheque or the paying in slip. If paying in slip then anybody can sign that.
  • malacka96
    Options
    Sapphire wrote: »
    Try to chalk it down to experience. We all have bad experiences as we go through life, and they are actually opportunities to learn.

Practically speaking, I'm not sure what you can do. To avoid further stress to yourself, it may be best to let the money go (you've probably exhausted all possibilities, unless someone here knows better), stop thinking about the issue and move on with your life. Avoid getting yourself mired deeper and deeper into negative thinking surrounding this experience.

Also perhaps change all your vulnerable online personal details (phone, bank, etc.).
    I have really tried, but when HSBC's collections keep harrassing me to pay the money it's not so easy to let it go.

sheramber wrote: »
    I think you need a final response to go to the Ombudsman so HSBC were giving you their final response.

That is when you need to refer it to the Ombudsman for their ruling on the case.
    I have referred their final response to the Ombudsman and just waiting for an investigator to contact me.

Thrugelmir wrote: »
    Where did the cheque originate from? Whose account.
    I have no idea! The weird part is I found my cheque book at home away from uni, so my chequebook could not have been used. When they showed me a copy of the cheque it looked like a real cheque, the whole thing is odd!
  • malacka96
    Options
    antrobus wrote: »
    HSBC believe that you have acted as a money mule. Presumably your signature, or a reasonable facsimile thereof appears on the paying in slip, leading them to conclude that you had knowledge of this fraud.

HSBC may well feel obliged to register a CIFAS marker against you. They might take legal action to recover this £10,500.

As a student, do you have access to any advice services? Is there a legal faculty?
    This is exactly what has been stressing me out. I informed my welfare tutor who referred me to a support team that only offer counselling and nothing else. There is a fund for students who are in financial struggles that you have to apply for. No legal faculty that I know of. If I was to get a lawyer then it would have to be a solo effort.

unforeseen wrote: »
    The signature? Was this on the cheque or the paying in slip. If paying in slip then anybody can sign that.
    It was on the cheque. At the time that I got my account, I was 16 and just wrote my name in a normal way. From what I remember the signature looked similar but is not difficult to replicate.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,103 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I don't understand - your signature was on a cheque that got paid into your account.

So what account got debited the £9,500 ?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport